Storm Crystal Pickup Meshes

Talk about the map editor here

Moderator: English Moderator

W0LFWARRIOR

Storm Crystal Pickup Meshes

Post by W0LFWARRIOR »

Hello!

I have been fiddling around with the item editor lately, and wanted to bind some pickups that alter your weapon into my map.

In a title pack like Invasion or Obstacle with items bound in it worked nicely, since I am to lazy to make my own meshes I simply made the items invisible and used the shapes of different items, like a barrel.

The problem is I want to do this in standart Storm now. And Storm doesn't have barrels or really any items.
Except for the Crystals Pickups, the blue and the golden crystal.

So I wanted to use the shape and maybe even the texture of those crystals for my pickup items, but I can't find them anywhere.

So my question is: How can I use those crystals for my custom items? In the item editor when I want to choose a shape, there is no data to choose from.

I'd really appreciate any help or attempted help, just ask if you need further information.

R.D. Wolf
Florenzius
Translator
Translator

Re: Storm Crystal Pickup Meshes

Post by Florenzius »

Hey^^

I think you won't get the source-files of these items or the gbx-files^^ The only way to get them is to rip them with a software. Then you'll get the .dds files of all objects and meshes there too (=> the crystal texture)

But I think the texture must be somewhere in the Source-folders of Mp, give me some time to find them ^^

Gl
Creative Director at UNBITN - 3D Modeler for Pursuit - ManiaPlanet Translator and Beta tester - Freelancer for Ubisoft Nadeo
___
MB - B550 AORUS ELITE
RAM - 32GB
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
GPU - Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070Ti
W0LFWARRIOR

Post by W0LFWARRIOR »

Thanks for your help!

What are those crystals for, anyway? I've only seen them used in inofficial titlepacks and mods.
Since so many mods use them, it can't be that hard, right? Am I right? I have no clue if I'm right, please tell me.^^
Florenzius
Translator
Translator

Post by Florenzius »

You're right ^^ :mrgreen:

I didn't see it in a mod before, but if it's moddable, there must be the texture ^^
The items are by nadeo for the Platform-titlepack and other things (which i don't know atm)^^ You can collect these pickups there to get a better score
Creative Director at UNBITN - 3D Modeler for Pursuit - ManiaPlanet Translator and Beta tester - Freelancer for Ubisoft Nadeo
___
MB - B550 AORUS ELITE
RAM - 32GB
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
GPU - Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070Ti
xrayjay

Post by xrayjay »

W0LFWARRIOR wrote:Thanks for your help!

What are those crystals for, anyway? I've only seen them used in inofficial titlepacks and mods.
Since so many mods use them, it can't be that hard, right? Am I right? I have no clue if I'm right, please tell me.^^
SM Platform TP uses those pickup crystals (guess it´s made by nadeo)

making your own pickup item isn´t that hard ;)

may this will help you > https://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic.php?t=18717
W0LFWARRIOR

Post by W0LFWARRIOR »

Thanks for the Link, seems to work, I'll try it out!

Thanks again, awesome community.^^
:thx:
W0LFWARRIOR

Post by W0LFWARRIOR »

Hmm...

Well, I can give the pickup the skin with the mesh of one of the picjups, wich is great.
But I can't use the meshes of the pickups as trigger model, only the meshes of those pads that generate them. And that trigger model doesn't work for picking them up.

Any ideas why it only gives me the pad meshes as a trigger model option?
W0LFWARRIOR

Post by W0LFWARRIOR »

Ok, now I created a titlepack and put all the stuff I used for the items in there. Then, still in my title pack, I created a test map and put my pickup in it, and I also enabled custom items.
But as I started it in a local game, it the item wouldn't be there. (or at least not work, I made it invisible.)

Why is that so, anyone any ideas?
Dommy
Translator
Translator

Post by Dommy »

Dynamic objects (such as these crystals) work different than static objects. While static object becomes a solid part of the map architecture, the dynamic item is in fact not placed on the map, it creates an ObjectAnchor landmark, which is a configurable control through game mode scripts. This is why "animated" objects don't show up on maps by default.

The game mode has access to ObjectAnchor landmarks and defines the behaviour of the items. For example - it is managing what item (object model) is spawned here and when. Object model, however, must be loaded by the mode to let the game use it - this means only the objects handled by game mode will spawn, and its not necessary to spawn exactly the same kind of object as defined by map maker (mode can spawn Gold, even though mapper put a Fuel here).

Functionality of an item is also defined by game mode - in my Invasion and Galaxy title packs the Fuel item gives reload speed boost for a few seconds, while their original use in Platform is scoring combo points. Weapons available in Invasion, given by picking up Gold are also managed by the game mode. Same applies to item spawning - the mode defines when does the item spawn (respawn Fuel 15 seconds after picked, spawn ball under eliminated player, etc.).

So, basically, if you want your custom item to give a special ability for the player, it must be supported by the game mode you want your map to be played in (so, in most cases they wont work by default).

About meshes - you can't export crystals meshes - and it's also pointless to do, as item behaviour is defined inside a mode script.

Hope I explained that well!
Ryzen 7 2700X, GTX 1070 Ti, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Insider Build
FORUM MODERATOR • CREATOR OF SHOOTMANIA GALAXY & TRACKMANIA² PURSUIT

Contact me via GALAXY & PURSUIT DISCORD
W0LFWARRIOR

Post by W0LFWARRIOR »

Yes, indeed you did.
Seems I'll have to figure out maniascript, and where to place the script in the first place.
How difficult would it be to program simple melee with item spawning?
Tho this will probably never happen, all my programming skills are limited to TI-Basic, wich isn't a that glorious ability.

A shame. Well, thanks for help everyone.

R.D. Wolf, out.

Return to “Map Editor”