ManiaFlash 2: post content, #hastags and more!

Discuss all the publishing tools, including ManiaHome, ManiaPub, ManiaFlash and ManiaPress in this forum

Moderator: NADEO

gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Re: ManiaFlash 2: post content, #hastags and more!

Post by gouxim »

I agree with you that we have a strong community capable of handling moderation, just like on the forum. But those features need time, and we think it's best -for now- to focus on researching the core domain of maniaflash. As always, it's all about compromise :)

Badword is not so easy to code actually, because you have to take the strong international aspect of the game (filtering meaning of the words can become difficult). I think you really need a human hand in the process, especially for something publishing-oriented. A chat for instance could be a better candidate for filtering.

About title length: maybe because of the length we will see more usage of webm media to "advertise" content ? :pop:
Please do not PM for support. Instead, create a thread so that everyone can contribute or benefit from the answer! 8-)
novationx

Post by novationx »

Suggestion#1:
I personally would like to see more ( userfriendly ) text mark-up :
colors, tables, bold , italics , underlined... etc
Using $$$ for a nickname is okay, but not when you are writing long news-articles.

Automatic hyperlink detection.

Improve the look & readability of the text by adding basic text editting capabilities.

Suggestion#2:
Make it wider. 50% of my monitor is unused.
Even putting the image left & the text right would be awesome, because you wouldnt need to scroll anymore.

Suggestion#3:
The 'scroll-arrows' are always shown & they always work. Even when news-articles are very short.
You can hide the complete news-article if you keep pressing the arrows.

#Suggestion#4:
I miss the comments. It's essential for this "tool"
Whats twitter without comments? Whats facebook without comments?

It's the job of the owner of the maniaflash to moderate it. Easy.

All NADEO has to do is the following: When they see an insulting post ( or whatever ) then they should be able to remove/edit it & contact the admin of the maniaflash as a warning.

Suggestion#5
For the love of God try to make this "grouping" work because often I just see the same thing 27 times
( shared by maniaplanet, shared by shootmania, shared by trackmania & shared by the creator himself = 4x )

Suggestion#6
Somehow all text doesnt feel sharp/smooth/crisp at all. It feels like its not full HD and that its being upscaled. The same goes for background images.

Suggestion#7
Try to do something with the design. It's hard to explain, but yeah.
Maybe use icons, some animations, some things that slide-in....

It doesnt feel up2date compared to some of the beautiful websites you see online.

Maniaflashes are nice, but the look is surely from a previous decade. No offense ofc.

Tyvm :thumbsup:

An off-topic but related question:
Why doesnt ManiaPlanet 'simply' support HTML5 & CSS3? Or BB codes?

I dont know how ManiaPlanet works ( obviously ), but it looks like everything is custom-made by NADEO a long time ago or is based on something old.

Simple things like scrolling, hyperlinks, multilines ( if this isnt possible , then what else isnt possible lol )arent possible :oops: Obviously its not easy for you to "fix" this, but it makes me wonder how ManiaPlanet works and why it is working this way in the first place. Obviously you will HAVE to update in the future.

An honest question with 0% critisim.
The neverending waiting game has to stop.
gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by gouxim »

#1 Me too, but that's about Maniaplanet more than Maniaflash.
#2 Agreed
#3 Agreed
#4 "Easy.All NADEO has to do is the following:" Nope, that's not that easy.
#5 Indeed, although there's a confusion between maniahome and maniaflash. Maniahome would need to handle grouping better, and Maniflash would just need not to display double posts.
#6 Agreed, but that's about Maniaplanet more than Maniaflash.
#7 Agreed

Off topic:
Having a dedicated spec, for a dedicated system, makes sense ; it allows dedicated features (like maniacode for installing stuff), it makes for agility in term of features, etc. Supporting the HTML5 RFC would be a crazy (so say the least) amount of work, and lots of things wouldn't even fit in Maniaplanet. Also HTML5 is fairly new, while Manialink has been around since TM1.
Please do not PM for support. Instead, create a thread so that everyone can contribute or benefit from the answer! 8-)
haenry
Halloween Mapper 2011

Post by haenry »

I agree with most of your points, but not all points.

Regarding moderation of comments I don't think it would be a good solution for Nadeo to moderate everything manually. It should be done by the community.
Different badwords in other languages are a problem, indeed. You could at least specify it for English and advice everyone to write English (as on MX or usually elsewhere on the internet. Most international places are fully in English).
Another option would be a "report comment"-button in combination with a few community powered moderators.

In terms of design it is okay to keep the current design for the moment because the whole Maniaplanet design ist not very consistent and needs a proper rework. Changing the Maniaflash design now and the rest of Maniaplanet in a year (or whenever it's going to happen), will result in changing the Maniaflash design in a year again. I recommend to wait until the whole of Maniaplanet received a consistent design. (e.g. The Home section and the Titlepack list of the Store should be combined somehow to one starting page, as both are very relevant ;) )

My 2 cents
A nice person is a better person!
Did you participate in a Monthly Track Contest yet?
My Maniaplanet maps!
novationx

Post by novationx »

Thanks for the feedback.
I mixed some things up, I see that now :roflol:

Only trying to help :thx: Even if 1 thing on the list gets added then my post was a success.

Off topic again:
Ofcourse i love those custom features! You could say its what makes MP unique & fun, but at the same time you(?) forgot about those things I listed. ( multiline, scroll, etc ... ) People were asking for this as long as I can remember, but I guess its just too hard to implement.
haenry
Halloween Mapper 2011

Post by haenry »

offtopic:
I partially agree. Importing already available ressources made by others is sometimes very helpful, if they are open source, well made and fit. Then those can save a lot of time in the developing process and will always be better than selfmade systems.
On the other hand, if you do something by yourself, you can easily make it fit to your belongings and your needs.

In general I think it's good to have a balance between importing ressources and creating ressources on your own.
Sometimes I think Nadeo is doing a bit too much on their own e.g. Maniascript: Developing a fully working coding language is an extreme amount of work. You can see that Maniascript is yet very incomplete and a lot functions are buged. I think importing an existing language (like lua), would've done better because people invested a lot of time into that already and it is specifically developed for this purpose.

Anyways, this is offtopic here :mrgreen:
A nice person is a better person!
Did you participate in a Monthly Track Contest yet?
My Maniaplanet maps!
novationx

Post by novationx »

Bug : Comment count

-----------------------------------------------------

Other "frustrations"
- When you "preview" ur article before publishing and click on "modify" you will need to reselect the "title". In other words, it's always resetting to the default title "ManiaPlanet"
- Textarea doesnt grow when writing long texts and thuss overlaps with other elements in the form.
- Very limited in options.

Questions:
1. Why arent u adding a minimum of profile options?
--> Link to social media via cool icons
--> Homepage
People now put everything in their description but imo its not the way to go.

Also: Why are u displaying "maniaflash?flashname" there? Useless information imo.

2. I open my game. Where do I go to now to publish a maniaflash/article?

The way I currently do it , is by typing "maniaflash?flashname"
I dont like this.

Other suggestions:
1. Limit tag usage to 2 per article or something. Tags are being abused. Writing 1 article with 8tags will take up the entire tags-area on the home-screen.
2. Add a thumbs-up/down button. People dont comment as much as before. Thumbs up is the new commenting of 2015 :p
3. Continue designing this, because it doesnt feel finished.
Why not use the blue/black style like you are doing on the home-screen?

Please keep on developing this tool :thx:

OFF-TOPIC BUT RELATED :
Somehow I dont like that in the home-screen you only see little thumbnails of news. Usualy these news-photos arent designed to be thumbnails. I'd like a dedicated news section on my home-screen.
toffe

Post by toffe »

It's not a bug, the player shared the newsflash with his own private account on maniahome, On that notification there is 1 comment, not on the maniaflash item itself, but on the share message.

Toffe
novationx

Post by novationx »

toffe wrote:It's not a bug, the player shared the newsflash with his own private account on maniahome, On that notification there is 1 comment, not on the maniaflash item itself, but on the share message.

Toffe
Well, if u mention the comment, then why not show it too?
Doesnt make much sens imo or am I still missunderstanding this :oops:
toffe

Post by toffe »

I mean the comment indeed,
The one on the homescreen is the comment on the share message, not on the maniaflash item. When you click on the link in the share message you get to maniaflash, and there is another comment function, they are not the same.

It's like on facebook, a post from a page is liked 50k times, when you share it, and someone is looking at your timeline, it shows that you shared the post from that page, and with seperate like counter and comments.

Return to “Ingame Publishing”