ManiaPress: Introduction

Discuss all the publishing tools, including ManiaHome, ManiaPub, ManiaFlash and ManiaPress in this forum

Moderator: NADEO

Ravious
Halloween Mapper 2011

Re: ManiaPress: Introduction

Post by Ravious »

I've always loved WordPress, and I can't wait. Just have to roll my sleeves up and figure out how to migrate. I am hoping this weekend!
Check out The Mania Blog for news, interviews, and commentary!
nocturne

Post by nocturne »

Wow... you guys never cease to amaze me...

Though, I don't see this having much chance of getting off of the ground, due to the many inherent flaws in the ingame browser system.

First, as far as I've seen there isn't any sort of 'directory' listing of manialinks akin to what we had in TMF before the ManiaPub fiasco. I'm sure there are some incredible Manialink pages -- I just have no way of finding them. And speaking of ManiaPub -- where is it (not that I miss it)? When I load up the ingame browser, I just see my own ManiaHome page..

Second, while I think the in-server display system is pretty slick -- it's absolutely horrid to try to design an actual webpage with. There simply isn't the capability to build a proper page -- at least without an incredible amount of effort (something which I assume ManiaPress was meant to solve).

While the Manialink concept was rather incredible -- I honestly don't see the point. Compare it to any Steam game -- offers a real browser, for the real web, which operates beautifully and still allows interaction with both Steam and it's games. While ManiaPress may make things better in this regard, most will still prefer to send their players via link to their actual website, which the users can enjoy on any browser of their choosing.

I'd like to imagine an system that allows the same content to be displayed both ingame and on the web, allowing a player to purchase/download/install content from either source with no complications.. Though, I still put this far down on my list.. when I want to play a game, I play a game; when I want to browse the web, I browse the web -- I never saw the need to combine the two.

But in any case... great work. I certainly appreciate all the polish you guys have been putting into MP -- you've come a long way since tmn-. But, I just can't help but think that all this effort would be better directed towards 'finishing' tm2:canyon (I'd say it's about 85% done so far) or making features that improve the game as a whole, instead of coming up with all of these neat little side projects that tend to be enjoyed by only a handful of community members.
vitessepure

Post by vitessepure »

This tools is a very good idea.

I suggest you to use Gettext to make your theme ready for translation.
Ravious
Halloween Mapper 2011

Post by Ravious »

Alright finally migrated. That was a pain. I haven't used FTP in nearly a decade. Anyway going to upload ManiaPress tonight and we shall see where we go.
Ravious
Halloween Mapper 2011

Post by Ravious »

So after a trying night it appears to be working inside the game. I was going to make a "We Are Live" post on the blog this morning, but it appears that the DNS change is not fully working yet. I tried flushdns a few times, but when I am in the wordpress dashboard for themaniablog.com it keeps sending me to themaniablog.wordpress.com dashboard, which is now wrong. Some more things to learn, but at least I have it working in game.
gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by gouxim »

Ravious wrote:So after a trying night it appears to be working inside the game. I was going to make a "We Are Live" post on the blog this morning, but it appears that the DNS change is not fully working yet. I tried flushdns a few times, but when I am in the wordpress dashboard for themaniablog.com it keeps sending me to themaniablog.wordpress.com dashboard, which is now wrong. Some more things to learn, but at least I have it working in game.
DNS migration is always long, and you can't do anything about it (basically the DNS servers all over the World must flush their cache if they have an entry for that domain). 48 hours is a good rule of thumb to be safe.
Please do not PM for support. Instead, create a thread so that everyone can contribute or benefit from the answer! 8-)
xGEKKOx

Post by xGEKKOx »

Porting it under Joomla as Module.
:)
TPS Gaseco - iPhone TM Remote Controller - GOS Coder
gunala06

Post by gunala06 »

xGEKKOx wrote:Porting it under Joomla as Module.
Yes! a plugin like this for joomla would be very usefull. :)
askuri

Post by askuri »

Yeah! This would be great, too :)

Return to “Ingame Publishing”