ManiaPress: Introduction

Discuss all the publishing tools, including ManiaHome, ManiaPub, ManiaFlash and ManiaPress in this forum

Moderator: NADEO

gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

ManiaPress: Introduction

Post by gouxim »

ManiaPress is a suite of plugins and theme to display your WordPress install directly in Maniaplanet.

Why ManiaPress?

As the Maniaplanet community is growing, more editorial Websites appear. With ManiaPress, we hope to bring all this great community content directly to the players (and vice-versa).

First, we're giving powerful tools to the editors so they can bring their content directly in Maniaplanet. Then, they'll be able to use the tools to bring the players to their content with ManiaHome bookmarks & events (and later with ManiaPub ads).

Demo

This URL is the Maniaplanet Blog: http://blog.maniaplanet.com/
Now try to paste that URL in the address bar of the Manialink browser in Maniaplanet.

Components

ManiaPress consists of:
  • ManiaPress Core plugin: shared config and libraries
  • ManiaPress Theme Switcher plugin: automatically selects the ManiaPress Theme when viewing from Maniaplanet, so your install can be both a Manialink and a Website at the same time
  • ManiaPress Theme: a theme to display WP as a Manialink
  • ManiaPress Event Publisher: automatically post an Event to ManiaHome whenever you publish a post so that everyone that bookmarked your Manialink is kept posted
How-to use

This is a very early release, so it will lack features and have bugs.
Download is here: http://code.google.com/p/maniapress/downloads/list
Documentation is here: http://code.google.com/p/maniapress/wiki/GettingStarted
Please do not PM for support. Instead, create a thread so that everyone can contribute or benefit from the answer! 8-)
gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Re: ManiaPress: Introduction

Post by gouxim »

I updated the documentation with basic config options.
Please do not PM for support. Instead, create a thread so that everyone can contribute or benefit from the answer! 8-)
metoxys
Translator
Translator

Post by metoxys »

Honestly, I don't think that enough of us use WordPress.
Nice initiative tho
askuri

Post by askuri »

Metoxys, you´re wrong ^^. There are so many people using WordPress ;).
Nice Tool gouxim :1010
metoxys
Translator
Translator

Post by metoxys »

Of course there's a crapload of people using WordPress but I doubt that a lot of them are active members of this forum, active enough to read this post
gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by gouxim »

What about this one: http://themaniablog.com/ ?

This tool is not only for people already using WordPress. It's also for people that want to start an editorial community website: they already have tools to have a more important impact on the community than by doing a "normal" website.
Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Hylis »

Or this one, http://tmaniacs.wordpress.com/

Like Gouxim said, it is to enable people who want to make editorial more easily. With Maniaplanet 2.0, players will be able to advertise, but it is also important that players get access to editorial content, capable to evaluate stuff from the community and push forward some ideas, links, competitions, creations, servers, titles etc.

When you will bookmark a blog like this, you will be able to be kept aware of what is going on in the community by the blog you just subscribed. I think it is very efficient and it enables different style to exists. There is no way that "one" central source of information can satisfy all the styles and level of expertise of the community.

It is also a way to show how "events" can be used to make editorial as well, but making a simple notification system to link to ingame link or external websites
Ovid

Post by Ovid »

Well done Hylis :D , now I can`t wait to see Maniaplanet 2.0...
So if I understood the intention of maniapress right Maniapress is 'only' one new way for a player to communicate with maniahome and the community?
Maniablog-der neue Fan Blog!
Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Hylis »

If I understand well, yes

In fact ManiaPress includes more than the wordpress plugin in it's concept. It is designed to help globally communication between experts/writers and readers. Maybe we can define a format one day to help news sites to plug more easily into ManiaHome and generates events. At the moment, we did the Wordpress plug-in because it is a lower level entry point.

An even lower entry point would be to make a ManiaPress Writer directly in Manialink, that enables articles and comments, in an open source project, so players can improve it if they want. And if one player wants to start this from scratch, he can. I think that with ManiaLib, it should be cool :)
db89
Translator
Translator

Post by db89 »

This is the perfect reason to switch from Blogger to WordPress for me :clap:

Return to “Ingame Publishing”