[MP4] ManiaCDN.net: the mania content delivery network

Moderators: Xymph, NADEO

askuri

[MP4] ManiaCDN.net: the mania content delivery network

Post by askuri »

The ManiaCDN is a set of mirrors hosted by the community in order to provide a stable cluster of servers. The files are static game contents, such as common signpacks, images on servers (e.g. uaseco) or music (non-copyright!).

Content
Everybody can upload, who has a Maniaplanet 4 account (link below). Though, me and Toffe have to approve every single file, which usually doesn't take longer than a day. Copyrighted content is strictly forbidden!
You can apply as a content provider by replying to this topic or wrting a PM to toffe or askuri.

Management
Servers are automatically being updated with the newest files distributed over the network. We also check the servers, if they are still updating and will directly suspend it, if it's providing old content.
Hosters can manage their mirror on a special page. Toffe will send them credentials to log in.

Links New servers are always welcome! Just reply to this topic or write a PM to me or toffe.

You can also join our IRC channel #mp-cdn at QuakeNet :pil
Last edited by askuri on 28 Nov 2018, 22:53, edited 21 times in total.
toffe

Re: Starting an association of static file servers/hosters

Post by toffe »

Current Financial Overview
(TODO: Post more detailed information).

2016 (not counting servers)
Amazon Total Cost: $ 14,20
Domain Total Cost: $ 12,00
Total Cost: $ 26,20

---
Would be a great thing to have. Community driven CDN network.

But remember, we need:
- Main Server(s) to upload
- Method to distribute (Could be public ftp/rsync)
- Regular checks CDN servers and the content (if it is up-to-date). (timestamped file)
- DNS changes...
Last edited by toffe on 12 Mar 2017, 17:39, edited 2 times in total.
undef.de

Post by undef.de »

toffe wrote:Would be a great thing to have. Community driven CDN network.
+1

But i see one big problem: Copyright provided content if a player/admin uploads an image or song... in germany (and maybe other locations) a big problem: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St%C3%B6rerhaftung
Developer of UASECO, a controller with support of the Modescript Gamemodes for TM².
Visit the official website for more: UASECO.org

Developer of various plugins for XAseco/XAseco2 and MPAseco, visit my lab: www.undef.name

You like what I do? Then award a ManiaStar.
toffe

Post by toffe »

undef.de wrote:
+1

But i see one big problem: Copyright provided content if a player/admin uploads an image or song... in germany (and maybe other locations) a big problem: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St%C3%B6rerhaftung
Indeed. It is a big problem. Should have some takedown stuff maybe.
askuri

Post by askuri »

toffe wrote:Main Server(s) to upload
We can use my server for the beginning.
toffe wrote:Method to distribute (Could be public ftp/rsync)
rsync <3

But remember, we need:
  • Regular checks CDN servers and the content (if it is up-to-date). (timestamped file)
  • DNS changes...
Programming, managing should be no problem for me, but as it's an "association" of hosters, we can share this work maybe :)

I thought of a system which is moderated by the people hosting the servers. Only approved files should be taken into the network due to the size which would get incredible after some time and the copyright, as mentioned by undef.
When I said hosting commonly used signs, i mean a few signpacks by different authors, not all we can find.
I think we should it keep slim, light and maybe it could also be some kind of honor if the own content is accepted :)
Alternative: public upload but registration needed and accepting a Terms of Use, which is absolutely leagl and prevents the hoster from incredible penalties. This is a thing I really want to care about. Without this, I would not take part.
toffe

Post by toffe »

askuri wrote:We can use my server for the beginning.
You have stable server? What's the speed?
askuri wrote:rsync <3
<3<3<3
askuri wrote: Programming, managing should be no problem for me, but as it's an "association" of hosters, we can share this work maybe :)
Programming no problemo, but please not in PHP xD. Let's create a daemon in node ;).
askuri wrote: I thought of a system which is moderated by the people hosting the servers. Only approved files should be taken into the network due to the size which would get incredible after some time and the copyright, as mentioned by undef.
When I said hosting commonly used signs, i mean a few signpacks by different authors, not all we can find.
I think we should it keep slim, light and maybe it could also be some kind of honor if the own content is accepted :)
I think that we need to whitelist a few peeps to upload. And let us get invites for new one's. And regular moderating (new) users of the network should be the best.

Toffe
undef.de

Post by undef.de »

askuri wrote: Alternative: public upload but registration needed and accepting a Terms of Use, which is absolutely leagl and prevents the hoster from incredible penalties. This is a thing I really want to care about. Without this, I would not take part.
If you are the provider of the server (IP based) in that moment (Round-Robin-DNS) the lawyer takes a snapshot of the copyrighted file, you have the problem. In that case the signed "Terms of Use" from the uploader is worth nothing. I know where i'm talking about... and that could be very expensive!
Developer of UASECO, a controller with support of the Modescript Gamemodes for TM².
Visit the official website for more: UASECO.org

Developer of various plugins for XAseco/XAseco2 and MPAseco, visit my lab: www.undef.name

You like what I do? Then award a ManiaStar.
askuri

Post by askuri »

toffe wrote:
askuri wrote:We can use my server for the beginning.
You have stable server? What's the speed?
(...)
askuri wrote: Programming, managing should be no problem for me, but as it's an "association" of hosters, we can share this work maybe :)
Programming no problemo, but please not in PHP xD. Let's create a daemon in node ;).
Toffe
My server is a really cheap VPS but i got such a incredibly fast connection. It faster than the rootserver of my clan (~45€/month and hosted at ngz-servers bullshit, really). https://www.netcup.de/ueber-netcup/hard ... ruktur.php . I can't tell you a real speed since it's shared, but not with many peers :)

Why not PHP? :teub: No, just kidding, I love PHP and I'm not that experienced with other languages :/ But there's also a time to learn new things :)
undef.de wrote:
askuri wrote: Alternative: public upload but registration needed and accepting a Terms of Use, which is absolutely leagl and prevents the hoster from incredible penalties. This is a thing I really want to care about. Without this, I would not take part.
If you are the provider of the server (IP based) in that moment (Round-Robin-DNS) the lawyer takes a snapshot of the copyrighted file, you have the problem. In that case the signed "Terms of Use" from the uploader is worth nothing. I know where i'm talking about... and that could be very expensive!
Ok, too dangerous, let's forget that "public" :D
toffe

Post by toffe »

Then not put it on public indeed :1010 .

We can go PHP, but we need cronjobs. Can be ok, but can also be better with just daemonized nodejs application for example.
Also faster to make and can be a lot of fun to make!

Toffe
askuri

Post by askuri »

I'd appreciate learning more about NodeJS. Had taken a look on it a few months ago and it looks amazing. The only disadvantage could be maintainability, since not everyone is experienced with NodeJS. PHP is much more common.

Return to “General Tools”