[MP4] Jumping everytime after using a teleport pad

Moderators: w1lla, NADEO

[MP4] Jumping everytime after using a teleport pad

Post by Ville »

This happens with everyone, on every map (tested on both editor and servers). I do not think it's intentional. Happens with all different teleports too.

Reproduce:

1. Place the two parts of a teleport on a map (Sender + Receiver)
2. Teleport with right-click
3. Your character will jump after completing the teleport

Expected behaviour:

- You will not jump after teleporting, as it used to be before - even when holding the right-click

This bug makes it impossible to get good times on some obstacle maps, and I'd imagine it's also an issue on other gamemodes.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz, ~4.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
RAM: 8GB

Re: [MP4] Jumping everytime after using a teleport pad

Post by Ville »

Just tested it again, and there's another issue with it (which will also be fixed if the jump gets removed): If you're moving while you teleport, the jump preserves the directional momentum that you had before the teleport. This means that if you teleport from a different angle than what the teleport destination is facing, you will most likely jump off the block after the teleport. Big problem in many Obstacle maps with teleports.
HYPE

Post by HYPE »

Ville wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 12:24 If you're moving while you teleport, the jump preserves the directional momentum that you had before the teleport.
That's exactly the reason why I like it. Not sure if it is actually a bug or a feature but the teleport in general feels way smoother now.

Before you lost all your speed when you teleported and also you needed to jump after the teleport again to start sprinting. Your speed was set to 0, which felt very unsmooth and kinda destroyed the very fast playstyle at some points for me.

Now you get out of the teleport with the same speed as before and also you will jump in the direction you were facing before the teleport. That means its not random at all, but very predicatable as soon as you get used to it.
Going with very much speed into a teleported and then literally getting shoot out of it again and keeping your full speed makes surprise attacks (for example in Elite) way more efficient and I can imagen that it can also find very cool use in obstacle.
Ville wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 12:24 This means that if you teleport from a different angle than what the teleport destination is facing, you will most likely jump off the block after the teleport.
This is indeed a big problem. I belive players and mappers need to get used to this behavior, Maybe some maps will need to be changed because of this update but I think its worth it.
Players, that know the maps well and know that they might fall into offzone (for example) when they teleport with certain speed and a certain angle, can avoid this and get an advantage over others.

In general I think this update is good. Teleporting is way faster, smoother and professional now. Players and mappers need to get used to this new behavior.
I hope this won't get fixed. :lol: :lol:
HYPE Smurf

Professional QuestMania-Player since 2022

When you get sad, stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.

ShootMania Community Discord Server

Post by Ville »

I don't see how automatically jumping after the teleport would be intuitive or "smoother" in any way. If it just allowed you to hold RMB and sprint straight after teleporting (without the jump), I'd be fine with that. Right now this change ruins many, if not most Obstacle maps that use teleports - you lose a lot of time if you need to jump several times, and some maps with teleports combined with bumpers are probably also going to have problems. Also, tapping the teleports has always been very unreliable for me, sometimes the teleport doesn't work at all without holding RMB - this is probably related to connection, and it's been a big issue for me since teleports existed. Holding RMB while teleporting has usually been fairly reliable, but now it's the worst option possible because it results in a full jump. When I was testing this on a server, it was incredibly had to get a mj after the teleport, even with short taps.

If it's an intended feature, then yes, I get that there are some good uses for it. For me personally, tapping teleports is just too unreliable for this to work in Obstacle. I also don't understand why something like this would go undocumented (or did I miss it?).

Post by Ville »

Not sure if any dev is reading this since there are no replies whatsoever, but just in case someone does... If this is a feature, may I suggest the following:

Keep the old teleporters as they were (reset momentum after teleport + no jump). On top of this, add a new teleport block that works like the one in the game now. This way old maps will work fine, and people can use the momentum-keeping teleporter in their maps if they want. Everyone is happy this way.
Alinoa

Post by Alinoa »

Hey Ville,

Yes we read reports but not always reply to all topics. And thank you for taking the time to write them ;)
Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

More information about maniaplanet, support, contents, community activities: useful links

ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated server, Mediatracker, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...)

Return to “Shootmania Reports”