Regular game crash while editing? and a workaround

Moderators: w1lla, NADEO

pjw
Halloween Mapper 2011

Regular game crash while editing? and a workaround

Post by pjw »

I've been getting a crash ever since the update when using the track editor. It doesn't happen as long as I save regularly, but if I go for a while without saving (sometimes as little as 20-30 minutes), the game will crash to the desktop.

Is there someplace I should send crashlogs for something like this?

A way to (so far) reliably prevent the crash from happening:
pjw wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 05:40 Just a quick note on this, in case anyone else is getting it, or finds this thread via Google.

I've found a way to (so far) reliably prevent the crash from happening.

To do this, I open up NVIDIA Control Panel and turn on Help --> Debug Mode. That's it.

As long as Debug Mode is on, the crash doesn't happen.

*shrug* whatever works...I'm sure it slows down performance to at least some extent, but when I'm just editing, I don't particularly care.
angry_duck
Nadeo
Nadeo

Re: Regular game crash while editing?

Post by angry_duck »

It reminds me the 2nd crash of this topic, which is still unresolved: viewtopic.php?f=565&t=41466#p285155
So I would be very interested if you have more information, especially if you have a logcrash (as they didn't have any in the other topic).
angry_duck
pjw
Halloween Mapper 2011

Post by pjw »

My crashes have been when just doing normal track editing (no item mode). They usually happen when going into or out of test drive mode in the editor, and after editing for some time without saving.

You can grab my latest two crashlogs here: http://pjwnex.us/temp/LogCrash.zip. They are both invalid address (write/read).

I've been saving regularly, so haven't gotten a crash in a while, but let me know if you would like something more recent, and I'll see if I can repro. :)
pjw
Halloween Mapper 2011

Post by pjw »

I'm still getting this from time to time. The latest was last night; I really got into editing something, forgot to save, and lost about an hour's worth of work. :(

Here are five more crash logs, just in case it might help: http://pjwnex.us/temp/LogCrash2.zip

If it matters, shortly after the lockup as the game is still chugging, I also get the pop-up from Win10 that "application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware".
nighthawk4571

Post by nighthawk4571 »

Hi pjw

This is a bummer and I feel for you, as I really enjoy your quality maps. :shock: :1010

While you are waiting for a response from angry_duck, you've just found a clue here:

Are your video drivers up-to-date?

Cheers :pil
Getting old, forgetting most of what I ever learned !
My name is Nighthawk. The 4571 used to be my IQ. :shock:

Admin: http://bagracing.freeforums.org/portal.php
U-tUbe: https://www.youtube.com/user/bvnighthawk
pjw
Halloween Mapper 2011

Post by pjw »

nighthawk4571 wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 21:15 Are your video drivers up-to-date?
100% up to date? Nope. Current drivers are probably at least a couple of months old. That being said, this problem has persisted across multiple driver updates, so I'd be surprised if that has much to do with it. :) Thanks for the suggestion though.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

I think it is related to your system. Probably you don't have enough system RAM, or RAM with different memory modules, defective modules, or an issue with the disk system.
Apparently the crash happen when the editors is using a huge lot of memory, or when it is resumed after windows has suspended it.
This is only an idea.
But you should also check for a bios update of your Mainboard, and system chip driver updates.
pjw
Halloween Mapper 2011

Post by pjw »

TMarc wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 09:14 I think it is related to your system. Probably you don't have enough system RAM, or RAM with different memory modules, defective modules, or an issue with the disk system.
Apparently the crash happen when the editors is using a huge lot of memory, or when it is resumed after windows has suspended it.
This is only an idea.
But you should also check for a bios update of your Mainboard, and system chip driver updates.
I have plenty of system RAM. :) If it were a system issue, I would expect to see other crashes with other applications and games, but Trackmania is the only game I play that crashes reliably if I don't save (and I play a lot of games). I'm not saying you're wrong, because I obviously don't know that for sure, but when the problem is unique to a single application, that makes me suspect that application.

That being said, I'll check for updates. Thanks for the suggestions!
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Ok, makes sense.

Could you please post details of your system?
Mainboard, cpu, Ram size and type, video card etc?
Demented

Post by Demented »

I say this often and most people probably already know this but it's always a good reminder, make sure your CPU and GPU fans are dust free. They can accumulate dust rather quickly and can cause overheating issues that affect performance or even cause crashes. Vacuum or blow them out on a regular basis.
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit

Return to “Trackmania² Reports”