Using eXpansion with older controllers requiring php 5.6

The next generation of server controlling with clean and powerful user interface

Moderators: reaby, oliverde8, NADEO

Nicklander

Post by Nicklander »

As much as I wish to use eXpansion², I think it sadly won't be possible.
I'm currently running some TMNF & TM2 servers. On the tmnf servers I use Xaseco, unfortunately xaseco needs php5.4 & mysql.
In Debian 9 I could use php7 & mariadb but this will rip my tmnf servers...
So I guess eXpansion is not an option for me since php7 is required.
oliverde8

Re: FeedBack & Bugs | Your ideas are important

Post by oliverde8 »

Hi,

I understand the dilemma. You do have a few options. It is possible to have multiple php versions running on a server. Even though it' s not ideal.

A second option is to go through virtualization such as dockers. we actually do have a docker image if interested.

But I can understand that these are all complicated solutions. Nevertheless, keep in mind that support for php 5.* has been dropped by the php team so at some point you will need to upgrade your server.

We were aware that using php 7 wouldn't be a popular choice from the start.
Developper for The next generation, Clean and Powerfull controller eXpansion for your SM & TM server . Working on eXpansion² with full MP4 support and many other awesome features...
hackie

Post by hackie »

Did Reaby not make a fix for that ? I think its on TM forum.
System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K / 4 GHz - 8 MB cache
GPU: MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G - OC Edition
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
RAM : 32Gb Kingston HyperX Savage - DDR4
DirectX 11
Xymph

Post by Xymph »

hackie wrote: 30 May 2018, 06:11 Did Reaby not make a fix for that ? I think its on TM forum.
http://www.tm-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=35817
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub
reaby

Post by reaby »

Thanks Xymph!

Yeah, that's mainly only for XAseco, it does simple mysql_ to mysqli_ wrapper functions... an idea to make XAseco work in php7 nicely, since the other language grammar hasn't changed for XAseco or the plugins.

On expansion2 we're using new language syntax and features which were introduced with PHP7.0. (I could list the language level syntax changes we're using... but I think it's in vain)

Anyway, I think using Docker might be the best solution as it runs in containers and keeps your server as is. If you're new to Docker, it might take some time to setup everything for the first time since you need to learn the tools, but I think it's worth the learning as Docker is getting more and more used on servers.
Nicklander

Post by Nicklander »

Ok so that patched xaseco is no option for me since it's only for xaseco2, not tmnf xaseco.
I might want to give Docker a try then.

I'm currently on Debian 8. So should I upgrade my system to Debian 9, install php7, setup eXpansion2 and will I still be able to somehow make the xaseco tmnf servers work ?
Xymph

Post by Xymph »

reaby wrote: 30 May 2018, 10:33 Yeah, that's mainly only for XAseco, it does simple mysql_ to mysqli_ wrapper functions... an idea to make XAseco work in php7 nicely, since the other language grammar hasn't changed for XAseco or the plugins.
Uhh, you tagged the post for XAseco2, not XAseco(1). And the includes file itself is not dependent on any XAseco variant.

Nicklander could still try this before resorting to more complex solutions.
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub
TheBigG.

Post by TheBigG. »

XAseco 1 and PHP7 works great together with the wrapper reaby wrote. I run PHP7 on my Servers for over 2 years now, first with bueddls fix and than moved to a mix of reabys and bueddls solutions mixed.

Code: Select all

[XAseco] PHP Version is 7.2.5-1+0~20180505045740.21+stretch~1.gbpca2fa6 on Linux
[LocalDB] MySQL Server Version is 5.5.5-10.3.7-MariaDB-1:10.3.7+maria~stretch
Client:
OS: Win10/Debian CPU: Intel 9900k GPU: NVIDIA 1080TI Display: 3x Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz 1440p@165 Hz

Server:
OS: Debian Stable @ Backports Kernel CPU: Intel 6700k RAM: 32 GB Storage: 2x 256 GB NVMe SSD@Raid 1
Nicklander

Post by Nicklander »

TheBigG. wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 21:46 XAseco 1 and PHP7 works great together with the wrapper reaby wrote. I run PHP7 on my Servers for over 2 years now, first with bueddls fix and than moved to a mix of reabys and bueddls solutions mixed.

Code: Select all

[XAseco] PHP Version is 7.2.5-1+0~20180505045740.21+stretch~1.gbpca2fa6 on Linux
[LocalDB] MySQL Server Version is 5.5.5-10.3.7-MariaDB-1:10.3.7+maria~stretch
Ok so you run....Debian 9 I suppose ?
Won’t MariaDB cause problems then ?
Where exactly can I find that patched xaseco1 version ?

I’m happy with PyPlanet for now but I might consider to update to Debian 9 one day and check out eXpansion when it comes out of beta.
TheBigG.

Post by TheBigG. »

Nicklander wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 03:32 Ok so you run....Debian 9 I suppose ?
Won’t MariaDB cause problems then ?
Yes Debian 9.
I don't have problems with MariaDB, on 10.2.x i had to raise the query size limit because XAseco would crash without that, on 10.3.x that wasn't needed anymore and it did run out of the box.
Nicklander wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 03:32 Where exactly can I find that patched xaseco1 version ?
http://tm-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=35817
Nicklander wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 03:32 I’m happy with PyPlanet for now but I might consider to update to Debian 9 one day and check out eXpansion when it comes out of beta.
eXpansion is less beta than maniaplanet :roflol:
I don't think i will ever return to mp, there is everything broken i like.
Client:
OS: Win10/Debian CPU: Intel 9900k GPU: NVIDIA 1080TI Display: 3x Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz 1440p@165 Hz

Server:
OS: Debian Stable @ Backports Kernel CPU: Intel 6700k RAM: 32 GB Storage: 2x 256 GB NVMe SSD@Raid 1

Return to “eXpansion”