Questions & Answers Trackmania Turbo

Discuss everything related to Trackmania Turbo.

Moderator: English Moderator

Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Re: Questions & Answers Trackmania Turbo

Post by Hylis » 01 May 2016, 10:26

Good point that if it was the only project. There are other ongoing things, so, what would you do: do what people ask since onger time or what they recently ask? You should take into account MP & SM as well. And there, I think you have plenty other things to add to the list, without even starting with our own lists, which are super big, since they can even include internal tools & things to do to improve our development and have an impact on mid term ability to release even better things. And above all of this, you also need to create big things that are in priority very important or you can polish things forever.

rat_in_car

Post by rat_in_car » 01 May 2016, 14:38

So, if I good understand, you say that is better to start new project instead fixing bugs in old one? Don't start more things that you can handle. It's irresponsible. I really don't care is TMT the only project or you have 20 separate projects. If you made so many projects that fixing bugs becomes impossible, hire more programmers or made huge discount and write "forever beta" in game box.

Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Hylis » 01 May 2016, 15:13

When you want improvements, like name tracks or default cam, it's about getting something you would wish in addition, even if logical or just better. It does not mean it's in beta. And yes, the more the software is sophiscated, the more you may find situation where it updates a lot with bug fixes even after release. I am sure you are aware of this.

Now, if you tell we that we should have done the wishlist thread I sent instead of making Turbo, it could be an very long discussion, but somehow, to bring more players to Trackmania, it was a good option. And somehow, it was a wish from players as well. And among these wishes, you also had players who wished us to released the previous game as quickly as possible. Of course, we could have avoided to add the mediatracker for PC players in order to prevent some negative comments on the quality of this integration, but I think it was more responsible to do it, because we believed that a great majority of players would understand.

GanjaRider

Post by GanjaRider » 01 May 2016, 16:50

I admit that because my questions in the past month didn't get answered I started feeling like I'm not in a room with nadeo anymore and I started refering to nadeo in third person. Which might come across as negative but again it's only frustration out of love. And yea sometimes I also feel Like I did so much for the game all these years and never got credit for it. And just maybe that could be the reason for me and others for not pressing the brake on negativity but I'm aware of that now. I also understand that you can't answer everyone's questions since you're just a small team and in a private forum it would be much easier to keep quality. But I think it will only backfire and make people see you as the bad guys. So keep an open forum and I believe 'just dealing' with negativity will pay off in the long run.

Fact is that I haven't built a single track since I read ubi's tos and know they are taking the rights of my designs. Also the lack of bumper cams took away my motivation. And of course some other stuff that's on my whish list. You know, TM is the only game I still play on PC. If TMT would have been perfect I could have thrown my pc out of the window. Console is the future for me. So I hope you understand why I was so anxious to get a few more bells in the game but alas. But you came really close so I still aplaud nadeo for their efforts. :clap:

But it's off my chest now. :roll:

Now back to Maniaplanet.
Last edited by GanjaRider on 02 Dec 2016, 17:02, edited 2 times in total.

fng_thatoneguy

Post by fng_thatoneguy » 01 May 2016, 17:56

Ganja, my friend... it will be a very sad day indeed for me and the entire PC community if you ever abandon ManiaPlanet to only play TrackMania on the consoles. :thx: I understand your point, but please re-think that. :thumbsup:

I may not fully understand the intent of the private forum you're thinking of, but what you were talking about, I would imagine Nadeo is thinking more along the lines of a controlled group of people they know are more "Quality Assurance" minded, good at documenting defects and "wish list" requirements that could be used to help control prioritization of work.

These people could be those that are frequent forum participants and active community players that have a good finger on the pulse of the community, that could help filter down the public forums information and help prioritize, not silence the public. (Hylis, correct me if I'm wrong.)

If this is the case, I think it could be useful and a good middle-ground of helping Nadeo stay in touch with the community without having to answer/understand/address every single post and unique viewpoint that all of us have. That would be a full time job itself and nothing would ever get done. This private forum, if used in this way, could actually help funnel and make things more efficient if done right.

Now, on the other hand, I can see your points on why it could get bad (political) too, because once the public knows who is in the private forum helping, lobbying would start happening that way too... it's the nature of the beast and I'm not sure there is an ultimate good solution for it.

In some ways, this all can seem like a no-win, but I enjoy the diversity... having everyone with their unique perspectives being expressed on the forums is a good thing and I think helps the innovations and priorities rise to the top of the stack. So regardless of whether Nadeo keeps things all-public or works some kind of hybrid (they'll never stop reading the public forums too) -- everyone remember to continue providing the feedback; just do it in a constructive manner so we spend less time explaining our behaviors and more time discussing ideas to make the products even better than they already are.

GG

fng_thatoneguy

Post by fng_thatoneguy » 01 May 2016, 17:57

Oh and thanks for all you've done for the Mania community over the years, Ganja! Sad to hear you're not making tracks anymore. :(

GanjaRider

Post by GanjaRider » 01 May 2016, 19:03

fng_thatoneguy wrote:Oh and thanks for all you've done for the Mania community over the years, Ganja! Sad to hear you're not making tracks anymore. :(
Thanks and don't worry I only stopped in TMT. :)

Btw I would love to have the TMT editor in Maniaplanet so I can hook up my pc to tv and continue building from my lazy chair. :yes:

Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Hylis » 01 May 2016, 19:06

GanjaRider,

thank you for putting out of your chest, it's much better when things are said. And I will try to answer.
GanjaRider wrote:In my track building career I've been spit in my face many times and at worst I even had a death threat
This is negative. And what would be even worse would be that they expect you to discuss with them in the name of democracy, if you see what I mean.

Your doubts about the coincidence of the event are founded but for the wrong reasons. Too much negativity is the coincidence and making something about felt a necessity. Try to see the developers perspective. They don't have to answer to discuss with negative players and maybe some devs feel more and more distant because of these attitudes.

Saying that we threat the community like shit is a perfect example of what needs to be removed from the place. They can tweet it, they can make a statue out of it in their street, they can repeat it in a magazine or even make tatoo on their skin with that, but they can no say this here and expect us to discuss with them. This place should be good for players/developpers relations. People are not forced to discuss with people, and more especially if these people are negative with them. It's much closer to the freedom you seem to wish to enable us to talk with who we want. Otherwise, we should start another forum that is called "Nadeo forums" where the developpers would be instead of here. But I think it would be less good.

I am the managing director of the studio and I have made more than 10k posts and probably read some hundreads thousands. The perception that we lack attention is not because of the size of the studio, it's just because we don't ask people that does not know really what is going on to answer your politely that you are great. I think we care more. And even more when we try to explain them that they have a negative attitude, like I would do if someone would make a death threat like you suffered. They probably need some help.

About the terms of service, it's a bigger question and an open debate. It's like in esport, I think the performance should belongs to the player, but the pictures generated by this performance to the game makers. And that's what common law would probably say nowadays without a specific tos. But if the company that runs the service needs to manage user data, it's probably easier if they get the right to do so. And it would be much more complicated to do it without having the entire rights on the content. So, on this point, I would rather adopt an attitude to stop trusting if something wrong happen (like selling the tracks in their name) but it's hard to condemn prior to wrong actions while they are probably trying to protect themselves of complicated situations. I don't want to enter a debate, but I gave you me perception if it could help. I think it's a good point to say that you don't want to create in these conditions if you wish to raise the awareness, but the complexity of laws and lack of agility could be the culprit of this all. In Maniaplanet, we think about Maniacredits and enforced them for models going toward MP in order to start trying to have the credits of makers go all along the chain, up to the end title. We do it in an amateur environment to prevent bigger question ro raise, but that's far from what the global, worldwide legal rules and tools provide at the moment at the state level, even if we are in democracy ;)

PS: the TMT editor is a plugin for the map editor, it should be do able in Maniaplanet we will see. But a PC is more versatile for many things.

hackie

Post by hackie » 01 May 2016, 19:20

Hylis wrote :

I am the managing director of the studio and I have made more than 10k posts and probably read some hundreads thousands. The perception that we lack attention is not because of the size of the studio, it's just because we don't ask people that does not know really what is going on to answer your politely that you are great. I think we care more. And even more when we try to explain them that they have a negative attitude, like I would do if someone would make a death threat like you suffered. They probably need some help.

I did read some of youre posts about negativity multiple times and ok , you have a point.
And I must say You are quite active at the moment on the forum. So good communication.

I also been quit negative in the past so sorry about that , now focus on the future in a positive way. :thumbsup:

gg Nadeo.
Last edited by hackie on 01 May 2016, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K / 4 GHz - 8 MB cache
GPU: MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G - OC Edition
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
RAM : 32Gb Kingston HyperX Savage - DDR4
DirectX 11

Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Hylis » 01 May 2016, 19:40

Thanks for your post hackie. The joke about me being active at the moment is because I am finally on holiday and have more time ^_^ (because we work so much otherwise that I had less time ^^) So if people thinks we don't care, I somehow know what to feel. By the way, I exepect to be quite away in the upcoming week: lot of work to catch up and another holiday without computer.

Return to “Trackmania Turbo”