Getting the PC Trial through Steam

Discuss everything related to Trackmania Turbo.

Moderator: English Moderator

Alcator

Re: Getting the PC Trial through Steam

Post by Alcator »

TMarc wrote:What do you expect then as "experience"?
If there was the full "white" tracks campaign for all environments (4x 10 tracks), would this be sufficient?
White tracks are typically for absolute beginners. As such, they do not feature any of the complex elements (loops or tricky jumps).

Consider this:

According to this, there is a universal Trackmania 2 demo which features 45 tracks of Canyon, Valley and Stadium - I'm guessing 15 of each

And as a demo of Trackmania Turbo, Nadeo is giving us 5 easy tracks of Canyon.

Do you remember when Trackmania Nations was released for free, to establish the game as an e-Sport? That was a huge high-point and people loved Nadeo.

Then, Nadeo made TM:United, bringing all 7 environments together, adding some new blocks to most of the environments (I believe only Desert and Bay didn't receive any new blocks) and solving the division of the playerbase.

Then, they brought the "Forever" upgrade for free, both to the free Nations game, and to the paid-for United.

Hell, they even released the Star Campaign made of the best community maps - for free!

Now?

So far no-one from Nadeo explained why Lagoon, the only really new thing, is released outside ManiaPlanet, so every existing TM2 customer is essentialy screwed to either double-pay for Canyon, Valley and Stadium, or have to wait several months to get it.

This is the kind of behavior towards existing, typically loyal, customers that makes them angry. It is really hard to take this as anything else than a money grab; the fact that now we have to start using Uplay doesn't help one bit.

But maybe I'm just old. Trying the demo and seeing how it tries to consolize the game (measuring jumps, drifts and drops distance; hysterical woman screaming whenever I intentionally wall-bounce; some unwanted voice complimenting me for my focus or calmness or whatever whenever I manage to not crash for 15 seconds; analogue'ish speed displays where previously we used to have a simple number...), it would appear that this is targeted at 15-year old kids.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Alcator wrote:it would appear that this is targeted at 15-year old kids.
Exactly this, or for the Asian market perhaps? ;)

That Lagoon is not there yet, they explained longer time ago: they first finished the environment for Turbo, and have to kind of remove the extra blinky fancy stuff to make it a decent TM² title.

The link you're quoting is outdated. It was a small present for the 10 years of Trackmania.
And on the official free servers only the A-tracks were running (don't remember if there were some B tracks).
Sure, now as for today, you can still try the demo, but don't forget that they still want to convince people to continue with Maniaplanet - Trackmania².

Turbo is only an in-between-meal for all PC players who know and are used the regular Trackmania series, no doubt.
But why miss a part of the fun only because it perhaps does not feature all the things we are used to?

That they gave Nations for free was only due to the politics of the e-sports: it had to be a free game.
They could have skipped the campaign there, or only have entry level campaign and leave the rest to the creative community.

Really, it is like almost everyone (of the older PC players) is not at all happy with what they do, and people now tend to find the silliest smallest issue as big and windy excuse not to play it or to blame them.
A bit unfair, don't you think?
Even if not everything is "exactly like the old" or there are some hopefully fixable issues.

There was a lot of information prior to the release, and still many people are writing good reviews (regardless of if they like it or not, it's their personal view).
Nobody is forced to buy it. So nobody has to pay 2x. Besides this, it is not exactly the same.
i7mean

Post by i7mean »

TMarc I don't think they made the Lagoon Turbo first, and then remove the extra fancy stuff for MP, but I think they did it normally for MP, then added the extra fancy stuff for Turbo, then didn't released it in MP to get all the money from TM lovers (because of the exclusivity)
quadkillgod

Post by quadkillgod »

i7mean wrote:TMarc I don't think they made the Lagoon Turbo first, and then remove the extra fancy stuff for MP, but I think they did it normally for MP, then added the extra fancy stuff for Turbo, then didn't released it in MP to get all the money from TM lovers (because of the exclusivity)
This indeed would be the correct and more logical workflow. If MP is getting a dumbed down version of Lagoon, then it would make sense that that version would be somehow ready first.

Anyways, I tried the demo and I have to say that I agree with what the others are saying. The game isnt just Canyon...
I dont understand why we cant at least just try the first 10 or even 20 tracks of each envi... That would actually give you a proper idea of the game...

I dont like, NADEO. Sorry :)
Rots
Translator
Translator

Post by Rots »

A demo where you test 1/4 of the gameplay. A demo where you can play online just canyon for an hour, just 5 canyon campaign maps. A demo where you just see a new UI if you come from TM2, cuz theres nothing new in canyon besides decoration blocks and fancy helicopters. A demo where you have to download 3.3gb, + UPLAY.

There should be 3 canyon tracks, 3 valley, 3 lagoon, 3 stadium. Out of 200 campaign maps, it's a good taste, and not only 5 canyon. That would be a complete demo. Then limit the online at 1 hour if you want.
TrackMania Original brought me here... Here I am since 2006
disposableaccount

Post by disposableaccount »

they should just have made the first 10 white tracks of each environment available, nadeo is making the same mistake they did with united/nations, tm2 did it right.
if i remember correctly trackmania 1/original demo only had desert and i don't know what sunrise demo is like
tcq

Post by tcq »

Just saying that the TMSdemo only contained Island and no coast/bay maps. Nevertheless it made me buy the game.
Last edited by tcq on 01 Apr 2016, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Fix
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Fix »

i7mean wrote:TMarc I don't think they made the Lagoon Turbo first, and then remove the extra fancy stuff for MP, but I think they did it normally for MP, then added the extra fancy stuff for Turbo,
True, then remove the extra fancy stuff to bring it back to MP
i7mean wrote: then didn't released it in MP to get all the money from TM lovers (because of the exclusivity)
False,
For many reasons, one being that making it back to MP takes time, one other is that there are features in it not in MP3, so it needs a new MP to work.
and there are plenty of other reasons I don't know.:)
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

So this means, Lagoon will be there only after or with the Maniaplanet #4 "PowerUp" then. Right?
Fix
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Fix »

I don't know about the MP plans and don't want to give wrong answers that could mislead people. I believe Hylis wrote something in the forums a while back about that.

Return to “Trackmania Turbo”