Hello Planet #5

Read all the announcements made by Nadeo in this forum

Moderator: English Moderator

fng_thatoneguy

Re: Hello Planet #5

Post by fng_thatoneguy »

Akbalder wrote:
eyebo wrote:I hear a lot of people say nasty things about uplay. But I have yet to hear any solid argument against it. Does it crash a lot? Is it slow? What is your problem with it? Is it more of a philosophical issue?
When the Uplay servers are down, it's not possible to play to any Uplay game (even offline).
And the Uplay server are often down: Each time Ubisfot releases a big game, you can be sure that the Uplay servers will be down...
That's a great example... I haven't seen that problem on Steam, but I've experienced what Akblader said for Trials Fusion on Uplay... but speaking of my Trials Fusion purchase; I wasn't aware I would be required to run BOTH Steam and Uplay. So we're back to a philosophical issue, but it's quite a legitimate issue. Anytime any of us are required to run a separate non-related executable in order to run a game, it is an unnecessary nuisance. If you enjoy the extra "integrated" features of Steam and Uplay (namely achievements, etc.) -- that's great, but I will always prefer a game that can run on its own without a digital content provider service being required to run.

ManiaPlanet is a great example of the nuisance, because Steam users can't change titles inside the running ManiaPlanet.exe, they are dumped out of it and have to relaunch it when running it via Steam... hence my article on the Team FNG site encouraging Steam users to still go download the standalone installer so they aren't burdened with the extra app close/restart issue.

I'm grateful there is alternate option for ManiaPlanet and wish that all Steam, Uplay, Origin and other games offered the same thing. I will run a separate integration executable if and when I want to take advantage of the "extras" they offer, but I don't want to be tied to them.

Because I have been blessed with ManiaPlanet standalone and TMUF standalone, I rarely run Steam anymore and get annoyed when I want to play Steam games and remember that I have to launch it first.

Sorry, long answer to your short question, eyebo. :thumbsup:
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

Thanks for the replies Akbalder and fng_thatoneguy! :thumbsup:
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
TGYoshi

Post by TGYoshi »

Uplay is for me seen as bad since it for some reason updates at 0-5 kb/s, takes 10 seconds to check for updates at launch, then 20 to log in, then another 10 to launch the game...
It has so many annoying technical issues that it's just a hassle.
It's even slower than Maniaplanet, who would've thought that?
=3
Demented

Post by Demented »

Hey fellow maniacs,
What fng_thatoneguy said... that's the biggest reason why I don't and won't ever use Steam. (not to mention the multitude of pain in the ass hassles they've put me through in the past).
When I sit down to play a game I want to launch it and play it and not launch a bunch of other crap first, especially if it has to connect to a server and verify first. To me it's just an annoyance and another chance for something to go wrong and keeping me from my fun.
What's wrong with Maniaplanet launching the MP titles?
I don't mind going online to activate and verify or update a game, but I don't want to have to connect to the internet every time I want to play. If Uplay or Steam ever becomes a mandate for MP, that's when I stop buying new titles.
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit
The_Big_Boo

Post by The_Big_Boo »

Akbalder wrote:When the Uplay servers are down, it's not possible to play to any Uplay game (even offline).
Wrong, Uplay has an offline mode for years now. There may be still some games which can't be launched but most of them works correctly.

However, something Uplay is doing really wrong is handling updates. You can't simply download the last version of a game and play. You have to download the base game, install, try to launch and be stopped by an update (which again need to download then install), then the game launches but possibly with a outdated version because it doesn't search for other updates until you try to launch again... So even when your download is over, you still need hours to be able to play a game which had a few updates...
paketep wrote:EA/Acti/Ubi always destroy the better developers. Another one for the count.
You probably missed games like Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Grow Home, and so on... I mean, for sure a licence like AC is getting as ridiculous as COD, BF or every EASports games, but Ubi studios are still doing nice smaller games.
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair @ 1600MHz
CPU: Intel i5 760 @ 3.6GHz
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E
GPU: NVidia GTX 760 2GB
HDD: WD Black 1TB
Sound: VIA VT1828S (onboard)
Peripherals: Razer DeathAdder - Razer DeathStalker - Logitech F310
fng_thatoneguy

Post by fng_thatoneguy »

The_Big_Boo wrote:
Akbalder wrote:When the Uplay servers are down, it's not possible to play to any Uplay game (even offline).
Wrong, Uplay has an offline mode for years now. There may be still some games which can't be launched but most of them works correctly.
I'm glad you've had good luck with the offline mode. My mileage hasn't been the same for it or Steam. Offline has been flaky/touchy for me. If I follow exact steps while I'm connected to set up the offline play first, then immediately go into offline mode then I'm ok... but I've never been able to successfully just be disconnected and try to go offline... which is what my real use-case usually is. I don't think about going offline until I have to be (taking my computer somewhere that doesn't have internet access, or my internet is down at home for examples.)

Regardless it's back to the philosophical debate, which really is off-topic here -- so I'll agree to disagree and get back on topic. Thanks for listening! (And I am genuinely glad you've had good luck with offline mode... wish I did!) :lol:

GG
Trylk255

Post by Trylk255 »

The only thing here that can be sure for all of us is :

Don't hype for TM Turbo as long as you really don't feel like it.

AKA :

Don't hype for something you don't really know if you would enjoy it or not.
Demented

Post by Demented »

fng_thatoneguy wrote:Regardless it's back to the philosophical debate, which really is off-topic here -- so I'll agree to disagree and get back on topic.
I'm not sure it really is off topic. I mean, this is mostly about TMT and upcoming MP content and the way it's accessed and I think it is really important for Nadeo to know what people feel the pros and cons are about the way the future of the games are distributed, launched and handled in general.
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit
fng_thatoneguy

Post by fng_thatoneguy »

Demented wrote:
fng_thatoneguy wrote:Regardless it's back to the philosophical debate, which really is off-topic here -- so I'll agree to disagree and get back on topic.
I'm not sure it really is off topic. I mean, this is mostly about TMT and upcoming MP content and the way it's accessed and I think it is really important for Nadeo to know what people feel the pros and cons are about the way the future of the games are distributed, launched and handled in general.
Good point.
luftisbollentm2
Translator
Translator

Post by luftisbollentm2 »

hackie wrote:Not host youre own server ?

What ?

What about all those people creating server controllers and stuff ?

Thats realy a minus --- , bad game.

I like to play alone , hunt records on my own server.
So this will be destroyed. hmm. :(
haha, yeah first again and i have local 1 ^^
PC: Amd x2 2500mhz 6gb ddr2 ati 5850 1024mb
best valley clip http://instagram.com/p/bTvCURtPCo/#
really show what valley is about <3

Return to “Announcements”