Last preview for Maniaplanet 4

Read all the announcements made by Nadeo in this forum

Moderator: English Moderator

djhubertus
Translator
Translator

Re: Last preview for Maniaplanet 4

Post by djhubertus »

After all the previews, I want to ask the same question again to finally get answer. What are your marketing plans to advertise the game to bring new wave of people? It looks like all these features are created for current low population of people, that can't afford to play custom gamemodes. Why ubisoft doesn't want to support maniaplanet as they do with rainbow six siege? It looks like you are making your own platform even more complicated than before, anyone remember maniamatch? maniahost? Similar 'ghost town' will happen to new 'tools'.
My Gamemodes:
MP4 - Countdown, Firefight
MP3 - Reduction, Overload, Flashpoint, Territory, SM Race, Escape
MP2 - Search & Destroy, Oscillation, Instagib
novationx

Post by novationx »

Isnt it weird to have:

A. Tools to create modes + a lot (too many?) of official modes
B. A tool to put people together in 1 mode at the time

To me this feels like a contradiction, but then again... maybe I dont see the whole picture?

The way I see it:
Maybe you never had to create these 'channels' ( last preview ) if you would have limited creating/modding. ( I'm not saying creating/modding is a bad thing. )
This preview seems like a solution ( to be confirmed ) to a 'problem' you created yourself, no?
The neverending waiting game has to stop.
saywhat

Post by saywhat »

With risk of being negative i also have doubts to 1) create limitations to drivers who have paid the game and 2) create and even more complicate system for new drivers.

Look at the comments, many experience drivers dont understand how this will work... on other side it maybe will be clearer once we see how it functione' but right now it only seems complicate and restrict which i do believe is the opposite of what you want to with a game that is become unpopular and you want it to be popular again.
HYPE

Post by HYPE »

novationx wrote:Isnt it weird to have:

A. Tools to create modes + a lot (too many?) of official modes
B. A tool to put people together in 1 mode at the time

To me this feels like a contradiction, but then again... maybe I dont see the whole picture?

The way I see it:
Maybe you never had to create these 'channels' ( last preview ) if you would have limited creating/modding. ( I'm not saying creating/modding is a bad thing. )
This preview seems like a solution ( to be confirmed ) to a 'problem' you created yourself, no?
Not sure if I'm correct with that but to me it feels like nadeo's plan (for sm) is as following: ShootMania offers diversity for many diffrent players with many diffrent gamemodes. The more players the more potential players in the whole game. For example: If someone likes elite and there wouldn't be a elite mode in sm, the player would maybe play siege insteadt but maybe also don't play the game at all.
But so far most gamemodes aren't played atm, due small playerbase. Nadeo wants to change that with the channels. Now new and also old players get recommanded to play a certain mode, which will change from time and day.
I think its a good idea, because this way people will play elite mm again and speedball and royal and many other modes. At least that's what I hope. And if you only want to play elite, you can also still do that, if there are other players like you obv :P
HYPE Smurf

Professional QuestMania-Player since 2022

When you get sad, stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.

ShootMania Community Discord Server
Wabbitface

Post by Wabbitface »

Currently as far as first impressions goes, part of me finds 'channels' a little odd. The concept as a whole seems practical, and I do believe it will benefit both SM & TM, but just the idea of displaying it as 'tv channels' is unusual to me in a game/launch environment.

When I read 'Channels' I think of TwitchStream/YouTube channels. I think of it as an individual sharing content on their own profile that users can follow. Does this new functionality seem more directed towards people setting up public events? Gaming sessions? That's the sort of thing that isn't clear to me right away. And it seems to require further explanation to explain how to use this system/how it's useful to the user.
Liam 'Wabbitface' Watson
ShootMania Shout-caster
Specs | Intel i5-3570k @ 3.80GHz | 16GB 2400MHz | Nvidia GTX 780 | Win10.1 64bit | Asus Maximus V Formula
Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Hylis »

Wabbitface, the answer is in the question of Novationx "A tool to put people together in 1 mode at the time" This is what "channel" mean => to go through one area. It increases the stream power and main TV channels makes this effect. And diversity is welcome on TV or theater or clubs etc. And it's because you have a limitation that it concentrates the audience and help it to raise higher. It's like shelf space, it helped some games to exist more easily since you only had a choice between some. And of course, it's better to have infinite shelf space at some moment, but then it could also mean bigger difficulty for each game since your awareness space is limited. This is why being in top placement on phone or Steam became prevalent and that it represents channels in their own way, and that they have also to answer to the same question than us, a "problem" that is just the consequence of the power of enabling people to create & share. So, yes, it's an answer to a problem we have created, but a problem we have created for a very good reason & for good consequence.

For people who have some experience with Trackmania or Shootmania, it's a little like a playlist on a server. Without playlist, there would be less people on a map at the same time. A server is a channel of maps and map creation requires this type of feature. Maniaplanet 4 is a channel of creations and it could be the corner stone for the joy of diversity and power given to creations to exist & increase. It may take time to be good enough, but the reasoning behind seems just to be working so far and we are looking forward to working on it with great hopes.
Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Hylis »

100% correct Hype.

And if you want to illustrate further more with Elite, you can see that it's more difficult for new players to come into it since there is not other neophyte at the same time (their play time is much lower on average as expert, by definition) So, if you say to all beginners that they can meet on a certain day, it's safer to have a better quality experience. Of course, with more concurrent users it would be useless on that perspective, but it makes the games look like they should survive in their design only by being able to be played nearly full time in order to satisfy this element. If all clubs or sports should be made to be playable all week long, they then could require an obligatory full time play to reach high level and therefor require some sort of 'nolifing' to enable the hope to be the best.
saywhat

Post by saywhat »

But thise will require a lot of channels no? Considering all the different types, f.ex in Stadium you have Tech, fullspeed, lol, rpg and dirt. A dirt player i guess is not interest in driving lol or fullspeed, and if no channel or server is available he will simply not drive and exit game?

Nah, i dont like thise "forcing", i would like to choose... I'd rather drive with 2-4 people in a type i like or than with 20+ people in an type i dont like...
i7mean

Post by i7mean »

i7mean wrote:Wait but you said that paid account have the server browser ? Will we be able to choose whatever server we want whenever we want even if there's nobody in it ?
undef.de

Post by undef.de »

Hylis wrote:We will shut down the server browser during the beta to help test together and a special program schedule could be set up to help at player's requests. Once we will launch MP4, server browser will be available to payed account.
If only the paid accounts can see servers made by the community (i mean a dedicated server with a server controller), then i have the fear that the new "free multiplayers" are getting boring after a while (no records hunting, dedimania...).

Also: Why should the community setup a own dedicated servers on which the player amount is low and will not grown much (from the current view)?

The new "free multiplayers" are stuck into the channels and can not see what the paid players see and have, unless nadeo/the community tell them.
Developer of UASECO, a controller with support of the Modescript Gamemodes for TM².
Visit the official website for more: UASECO.org

Developer of various plugins for XAseco/XAseco2 and MPAseco, visit my lab: www.undef.name

You like what I do? Then award a ManiaStar.

Return to “Announcements”