Maniaplanet 4 - March update

Read all the announcements made by Nadeo in this forum

Moderator: English Moderator

Alcator

Re: Maniaplanet 4 - March update

Post by Alcator »

Demented wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 15:06 However (and I've said this before) I feel that they should really consider dropping all other projects for the moment and put all focus on perfecting what is already out there (or at least for a month or two to get the biggest issues fixed) and then go back to working on future projects.
The issue of course being that the stuff that is already out there is not going to bring significant money, and they need to make money to stay in the business.

Their games would be well-suited for a "Game as a Service" model, where for instance you get a new 30+ map campaign for Trackmania every month for a low price of $4.99 or 3.99eur, with tens of thousands of people buying it every month to get fresh new experience. It could even be community-sourced, with members of the community making those maps, and someone at Nadeo picking the best ones each month, then rewarding their authors with a fraction of the revenue.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

30 maps for 5$ every month? I doubt that many will purchase all of them, it would be too much.
We don't even get a new title per year at the moment.

Maniaplanet is made for maniaplayers, means other player can create title packs ( the possibility to just add campaigns to existing official titles is not given unfortunately) and "sell" them with the in-game currency, the planets.
Of course this doesn't give money, neither to the pack creator, nor to Nadeo.
But anything that is created by the community does not necessite any effort by Nadeo ( of course only if everything is working fine).

It's two sides of a medal, and a bit the henn-egg-problem: maniaplanet needs to become much more stable right now before we can think of further (new) stuff.
Miss

Post by Miss »

I'd like to point out that during Turbo's development, MP4 development continued while there were little to no updates to MP3. Perhaps we'll be surprised by an MP5 branch or something else soon.

I'd also argue this point to be correct, because of 2 reasons:
1. Progress went from many changes in internal APIs to little to only critical changes all of a sudden.
2. I'm getting the impression that xbx is currently supporting MP4 by himself (using "I" and "me" in changelogs rather than a collective "we").

Both of these are (to me) a clear indicator they're working on a separate branch that we're not currently seeing. So, let's wait. :thumbsup:
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

yeah, but this could also mean that they are mainly working on something else, like using the Maniaplanet engine in another game that will have similar features, and that they don only maintenance and little development on Maniaplanet-Trackmania/Shootmania.
Turbo was the showcase that it could work well, and Ubisoft is always hungry for good games or new ideas that bring money :lol:
Miss

Post by Miss »

Yeah, that's kinda exactly what I said :P
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
Dommy
Translator
Translator

Post by Dommy »

Nadeo are working on something indeed. They did a whoopsie woopsie on git, revealing classes like CMapSpawn (parent to CSmMapPlayerSpawn), CParsingDocument (replacing CXmlDocument) and CParsingNode (replacing CXmlNode). (Shouts to Nerpson for noticing this commit.)

Well, you can tell that they are finally working on JSON support, while the spawn class may suggest ShootMania's landmarks system coming to TrackMania (which potentially may allow us to have multiple spawns on the map and cross the same checkpoint multiple times).
Ryzen 7 2700X, GTX 1070 Ti, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Insider Build
FORUM MODERATOR • CREATOR OF SHOOTMANIA GALAXY & TRACKMANIA² PURSUIT

Contact me via GALAXY & PURSUIT DISCORD
Miss

Post by Miss »

Well spotted.
I also stream and tweet.
maniaccyber

Post by maniaccyber »

Miss wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 13:08 It's a server issue, not necessarily a client issue.
Hello,
Tis isn't a Server Problem its a Nadeo problem. Since the last update! Did you realy read all the Posts here.
We have Server over 10 years here, so we know what we do.
I have tested several Server in the envi Canyon. Same Problem, after 30 -40 minutes, no serverswitch possible, the loginname is away than no Ladderpoints
to give or to receive and so on. And the players leave the Server. Can anyone solve this Problem?
greez
Cyber
Clanleader: ManiaC»Wolf, ManiaC»Cyber
Miss

Post by Miss »

Oh, you misunderstood, or I wasn't clear enough. I mean it's a masterserver problem, not a dedicated server problem.
I also stream and tweet.
maniaccyber

Post by maniaccyber »

ah ok, thx for answer Miss.
And whats the plan to fix it?
greez
Cyber
Clanleader: ManiaC»Wolf, ManiaC»Cyber

Return to “Announcements”