TrackMania² Galaxy - title update 1.6 "Galaxy" is out!
What happened? What's this new title again? Well, after discussing it with my testers months ago, the time finally came to rebrand the Pursuit title to TrackMania² Galaxy
It doesn't mean the Pursuit mode changes its name, it's just a rename of the title pack. The reason behind this change is my will to continue the legacy of my abandoned ShootMania
title of the name name. Galaxy was (or is) my unified collection of about 10 various game modes and the Pursuit title is slowly becoming just that but in TrackMania. While it may still look confusing at first glance, it's really easy to understand if you read the following. I'm aiming to create a unified environment that houses both my TrackMania and ShootMania titles in a single ecosystem with a shared profile, stats, achievements, and unlockables. It's still something to come in the near future, but the preparations are already started. At some point, I plan to revive ShootMania Galaxy, thanks to the new Pursuit codebase, which is compatible with both TM and SM. Right now, we only settled on a name change.
But most importantly for you:
TrackMania² Galaxy is now available for free, no Planets required!
New ranking page
A plain name change is not the only thing I've done for this update, obviously!
(These screenshots show only filler data to give the general look of the new table.)
Take a look at the brand new ranking page, fully written by me and not relying on the outdated ManiaPlanet 3 scripts anymore. This one won't randomly crash upon joining. Besides that, the new scoreboard has numerous improvements to make your life easier.
Exclusive player badges
- It can be partially navigated with a gamepad! No need to reach your keyboard to toggle pages, just press up/down on your D-Pad or Right Stick to move a page up or down. Use left/right on the D-Pad to toggle between different tabs.
- The header now contains the information about the ongoing match, as well as shows the logo of the played game mode - for better branding and easier recognition for new players in channels.
- The footer is now all about showing your current stats (or the player you're spectating). From here you will find your survival score, captures and assists count, the total number of points, and, of course, your current placement.
- The points have been split into round points and match points. Round points are gained during the game, they're shown as green numbers under PTS column. They're added to the total once the round is over.
- Vehicles are now represented by icons, rather than cryptic 1-letter abbreviations. You can hover the icon to see the full name of the car, or even click it to directly switch to it (assuming that you can respawn).
- A whole separate page listing the best players has been also remade. It has previously existed only under the Left Alt key, now it can be viewed under Tab and through gamepad as well!
- Lastly, there's much more room for the player names, as right next to the nicknames you may now find...
These are prestigious rewards for various players, who are important in the development and upkeeping of the Galaxy packs. They're shown next to the player name in the scoreboard and nametags (more locations supported in the future). These badges cannot be bought, they have to be earned through various means, such as contributing models/translations to the project, being a long-time mapper or winning in official competitions (soon™). Most Nadeo members (who I could find) have their own badge.
Minor design tweaks
Some elements of the interface have been tweaked for a bit refreshed look. Some animations have been applied here and there for a more polished feel.
It's a new pack, where all the pre-release tests will happen from now on. You don't really need to bother with this pack, it's just for people interested in helping me to test out the new stuff. Best place to get information about this pack is the official Discord server
You can check out the pack here:
TrackMania² Galaxy Canary
More technical changes
While it may not seem like it, there are more changes in this update, a bit less exposed due to their not so exciting nature. But here they are:
Did you know?
+ New, redesigned ranking screen with detailed player info.
+ Some players now have an exclusive badge next to their name, indicating their importance for the Galaxy title.
+ Points are now split into round points and match points. At the end of the round, green PTS are added to the Total, like in ShootMania or Rounds/Cup modes.
+ Added the proximity assists - least priority assists for cops that were within 8 meters distance from the thief (a quarter of a Stadium block).
+ Gamepad can now be used to navigate the vehicle selection screen and the map selection screen.
+ Scoreboard now also counts how many assists a player has scored.
+ Active and Passive thieves system: thieves actively driving around gain more survival points, unlike campers, whose points are capped.
+ Added test mode to the map editor (avoid using for now, impossible to return to the editor).
+ Speedometer now fakes the first 1k RPM to reflect the idle engine sounds of TMU vehicles.
+ Additional cosmetic changes to the speedometer.
+ Added Platform soundtrack.
+ Added an easter egg related to drifting.
+ Added an easter egg played when capturing or being captured by a specific player.
+ TrackMania² Galaxy Canary pack: development branch of the Stadium title for testing.
+ Discord advertisement under the scoreboard.
~ Both titles have been officially renamed to TrackMania² Galaxy.
~ Both titles are now free of Planets payment.
~ Hunters mode has been updated and is playable again.
~ The majority of the files have been reorganized, converted to WebP, Json, and OGG respectively.
~ Tweaked the internals behind the UI placement/effects, resulting in fewer frame drops.
~ Optimized assists by checking on them only twice a second and not every frame (100 frames -> 2 frames).
~ Optimized the capture detection by calculating the distance more smartly.
~ Speedometer RPM gauge is now slightly interpolated to reduce jitter effect in TMU cars.
~ More split-screen compatibility.
~ Fixed Thief Zone timer appearing for cops.
~ Fixed on-screen messages having links, which stay once the message disappears.
~ Fixed the faulty detection of random chase assists.
~ Fixed incorrect visibility of player names during the preparation phase, resulting in "random" disappearances of names.
- Removed discontinued server manager ("Players list").
- Removed obsolete code.
- Removed obsolete buttons from pause menu.
It's over 2 years since the Pursuit titles have premiered!
Join our community to follow the development of TrackMania² Galaxy and be first to know about everything coming next!
Spoiler: it's split-screen.