[FEEDBACK]Channels and Server Transfer

Please use this section for sharing questions about CHANNELS or creating a thread for having feedback on your PROGRAMS!

Moderator: English Moderator

Ozon

[FEEDBACK]Channels and Server Transfer

Post by Ozon »

We need to talk about Channels.

They are great and simple and I love it. It's a great way to introduce demo players and to reunite Trackmaniacs.

Only thing that annoys me very much is, that after a program ends, you are getting transferred into the next server. You can't choose, whether to stay or just leave the server. I've never had a good experience from just being transferred left and right.

Instead, I would propose, that only demo players are being transferred into the program inside their times. The players who paid the game can just stay on the servers.

A notification should still pop up, reminding us that a next program is about to happen. We are not being transferred as a result.
ManiaExchange Lead Developer, video person and experienced project organizer.
Discord: Ozon#0359 · MX · Adventcalendar resources · TM-Tube is back
bask

Re: [FEEDBACK]Channels and Server Transfer

Post by bask »

There is a notification that in 5 minutes the next episode will be played. And another notification when there's 1 minute remaining, on the top left part of your screen.
Ozon

Post by Ozon »

bask wrote: 14 May 2017, 16:45 There is a notification that in 5 minutes the next episode will be played. And another notification when there's 1 minute remaining, on the top left part of your screen.
Yes, did you read the rest of it? My main complaint is that you are being transferred to another server, no matter what.
ManiaExchange Lead Developer, video person and experienced project organizer.
Discord: Ozon#0359 · MX · Adventcalendar resources · TM-Tube is back
bask

Post by bask »

Yeah I read everything, just wanted to point that out^^

As far as finding something different to a instant-server switch, I have no idea and that's why I didnt write anything else, but I do agree that there might be a different way to handle the players.
tcq

Post by tcq »

To your idea with paying players to be able to choose to stay on the server. Doesn't this go against the idea of having all players centralised inside of one program? If your idea would be realised, then we would have again a split of the player base that decided to join the channel section of mania planet. Therefore I don't think this will ever happen. But maybe I misunderstand the system.
HYPE

Post by HYPE »

I had the same opinion at first but now I am not so sure anymore.

First of all I am not sure what acutally happens with the nadeo servers as soon as the program ends. Maybe they are going offline or switching to the next program.
Secondly, what tcq wrote: The basic idea was to bring players toghter.

Maybe it would be better if the program hoster would just advertise a similar server insteadt, so if players (which bought the game) decide that they would like to continue playing what ever gamemode they just played, they can go and look for this server.
HYPE Smurf

Professional QuestMania-Player since 2022

When you get sad, stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.

ShootMania Community Discord Server
bask

Post by bask »

Maybe advertise when that same program gets played again, so the players interested can add it to their agenda. Just like the notifications about what the next program will be after the current one ends.
zocka

Post by zocka »

I would like to see some sort of popup which would give the option to quit over getting transferred.
Like somehow keep the program-server up for a few minutes blocking further gameplay with a message like

This Program has ended. Next up on this channel is _______________.
[ Continue Playing ] [ Quit the Channel ]

(I assume there are at least two main channel-servers (+ matchmaking servers) so that one can start up and the other one transfer the players once the time comes?)

"but you could just leave in time to not get transferred"
Well more often than not have I come back from a matchmaking server, automatically getting transferred into a different program I didn't want to play but had to wait quite a while until everything is loaded just to quit the server.

Other scenario I could imagine would include downloading an update for the current program's title pack. It takes longer than expected or whatever and once the update is completed we again run into a server which transfers the player somewhere he maybe didn't want to go.
(ofc this is a bit more difficult as such download might exceed the reasonable time a program-server is up to tell people to leave)

Maybe it would suffice to have this behaviour on matchmaking-lobby-servers.
manialink minigame shatter
my manialink: zockaml
my maniaflash: maniaflash?zocka

Return to “CHANNELS”