Bought TM2 on Steam, can't play, can't update ManiaPlanet

Moderator: English Moderator

raincreature

Bought TM2 on Steam, can't play, can't update ManiaPlanet

Post by raincreature »

Hey everyone!
I hope someone can help me with a problem I have with ManiaPlanet. I had no ManiaPlanet account previously, and bought Trackmania 2 Valley, Stadium, Canyon in a pack on Steam, plus bought the Lagoon pack as well separately. They have all added to my Steam library, installed around 100MB each, then I launched and it launched the "ManiaPlanet client", not just the game straight.

I'm guessing I need to go through this "hub" first to get to my games. The client asked me to create a ManiaPlanet account, so I did. After that, I clicked the green Connect button, and the client said "a new compulsory update is available", so I pressed Download Now.

This is when the problem happened. The instant it tries to update, it gives me an error message, saying:
"download or update ManiaPlanet_skins.zip failed
unable to contact the server: internal error"

I can keep pressing retry, but it doesn't work. I can also choose "Give Up" and skip the update. That being the only choice, I did that, and landed on the channels menu etc. When I press titles, none of the games detect to be installed (though previously installed each environment pack on Steam), and the green Install button does nothing when clicked. I assume it's either the fact that my client isn't updated, or that my Maniaplanet account isn't 'linked' with my Steam, and doesn't know I own the titles.

I don't know where to approach the problem from. Do I have to figure out why my ManiaPlanet client isn't updating, or that doesn't even matter and I have some activation/account issues?

Info on what i've tried:
Tried adding ManiaPlanet, and the entire Steam games folder to Antivirus exceptions
Firewall allows network connections to ManiaPlanet client
Uninstalling/deleting all ManiaPlanet and Steam game files related to Trackmania packs, then reinstalling, in different orders
Downloading ManiaPlanet client from maniaplanet(.)com separately, same error when updating
Choose "Play Trackmania2 <pack name>" option instead of "Launcher" option from Steam, brings up the client anyway, and runs into the same update error once again

If anyone could help me ASAP, I'd really appreciate it, I just bought all the packs, I payed and now I can't play.
I don't know what support to contact, I've read hours and hours online about similar problems, people kept saying Steam/Ubisoft/ManiaPlanet support keeps redirecting people to one another and not really be of any help, so I turn to the forums.
Please help!
HaagseSmurf

Re: Bought TM2 on Steam, can't play, can't update ManiaPlanet

Post by HaagseSmurf »

Perhaps you could try this manual full install download?
Good luck!
http://files.v04.maniaplanet.com/setups ... upFull.zip

Greetz
HaagseSmurf

Check Smurfen.net and / or Smurfen.nu for all info.
You can also like our facebookpage at FaceBook Smurfen.net.
Or just visit
our Smurfen.net Canyon servers,
the Smurfen.net Valley and Royalserver.
raincreature

Post by raincreature »

I have come across that link before, the only problem was that it's 5GB and the download takes over half a day, I was trying to find a solution that seemed doable (don't have that much idle time to download it).

However, reinstalled ManiaPlanet from scratch again, and using my friend's account on first login, who has all the packs purchased as well, it seemed to have proceeded with the update. After pressing Retry on update fail about 3-4 times on each of the 10 downloadable packs of data, it finally installed, then I closed the client and logged back into my account. The account switch is probably unrelated, but something with the servers that provide the downloadable data was/is wrong.

I also set the network speed in the ManiaPlanet Launcher settings to the 100Mb option, don't know if related to any server download timeouts etc, that's the only other thing I did differently. Seems to be working, I can now press Play on the environment packs under "Titles" in the client. Game is updating files now, 1.1 Gb for high definition textures/data. Will post if all works fine :)

<Funny how nothing worked all day until I posted on the forums, then keeping at retrying what I already done seems to have worked>
Alinoa

Post by Alinoa »

raincreature wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 00:16
<Funny how nothing worked all day until I posted on the forums, then keeping at retrying what I already done seems to have worked>
It's the magic of the forums and the magicians as HaagseSmurf who is a very high level mage :D
And I hope that all will work fine.
Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

More information about maniaplanet, support, contents, community activities: useful links

ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated server, Mediatracker, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...)
raincreature

Post by raincreature »

Alright, had to put things aside for the night, but when I got back to my computer and finished the downloads, all seems to be working fine now. Just hitting Retry every time the update stops with an error seems to be working. Though I thought pressing it about 30 times initially, and always failing instantly again, would mean that there's a problem somewhere else, I seem to have been wrong.

Don't know if the servers were down/crowded/unresponsive, or if it has something to do with my manual install of ManiaPlanet client, instead of whatever Steam downloads, but with a few hits of "Retry" it works for now. Maybe someone will find an answer in this topic some day!

And thanks to you guys for being unexpectedly fast to reply, I was scared the forums are kinda dead, but it's a pleasant surprise that it isn't at the moment of posting this.
Here's to the problems that randomly fix themselves! :D
lemonrev

Post by lemonrev »

How do i activate STEAM on maniaplanet on my account ? I wish to add steam to this but there is no way i can do so..

Also do i need a key from steam before i can activate anything ?

What do i or others have to do in order to register our trackmania games on here as well as steam ?

Return to “Support and technical issues (not bug)”