Map Thumb Tool

Openplanet is an alternative scripting platform for the ManiaPlanet creative community.

Moderators: Miss, NADEO

Miss

Re: Map Thumb Tool

Post by Miss »

I personally feel those are non-issues, but if a lot of people say that, then yeah perhaps it's an issue.
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
tcq

Post by tcq »

Miss wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 01:12 I personally feel those are non-issues, but if a lot of people say that, then yeah perhaps it's an issue.
Example 1: You are owner of a car company and design a really nice car. A competitor comes, takes this car, adds his name (e.g. exchanging the thumb nail with your tool) and distributes it. Everyone sees the advertisement (the thumb nail), but ignores the real data of the name (maybe because the chassis number is hidden behind the engine inside of the front section). Now people want to buy a new car, they first go to the competitors car shop because they remember that this guy sold this nice car.

Example 2: Another example would be the tradition of industrial espionage by Chinese companies during the last 2-3 decades. Nowadays they finally getting the know how to outcompete other companies or simply buying them.

Just some examples to give you an impression about what implications an attitude like this can have. But I personally don't care and already gave up on the TM community since all of the friendly spirit disappeared slowly after canyon release as the old community died and got replaced by a younger "I want everything and I want it now and I don't care about what happens to other people" community. If I would be still involved with the community, I would provide clear and loud protest against this tool.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

On the other side, OpenPlanet could have a kind of code of conduct, e.g. allowed/tolerated usage guidelines, in general and specific for each tool.
With the mention that unallowed usage will have logins banned, if Nadeo is agreeing and helping in such cases.
Miss

Post by Miss »

tcq wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 22:53
Miss wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 01:12 I personally feel those are non-issues, but if a lot of people say that, then yeah perhaps it's an issue.
Example 1: You are owner of a car company and design a really nice car. A competitor comes, takes this car, adds his name (e.g. exchanging the thumb nail with your tool) and distributes it. Everyone sees the advertisement (the thumb nail), but ignores the real data of the name (maybe because the chassis number is hidden behind the engine inside of the front section). Now people want to buy a new car, they first go to the competitors car shop because they remember that this guy sold this nice car.

Example 2: Another example would be the tradition of industrial espionage by Chinese companies during the last 2-3 decades. Nowadays they finally getting the know how to outcompete other companies or simply buying them.

Just some examples to give you an impression about what implications an attitude like this can have. But I personally don't care and already gave up on the TM community since all of the friendly spirit disappeared slowly after canyon release as the old community died and got replaced by a younger "I want everything and I want it now and I don't care about what happens to other people" community. If I would be still involved with the community, I would provide clear and loud protest against this tool.
I understand the problem. However I personally think the impact of the problem in Maniaplanet is not a very big risk. I've already reached out to Nadeo about this too, so now I just wait.. *shrug*
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
Miss

Post by Miss »

A little update; Nadeo has said this tool is fine to stay up. Thanks for the concerns though, guys! It's good to hear these things.
I also stream and tweet.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

It's good you are working on stuff :thx:
Derfuhr

Post by Derfuhr »

I have also made such a tool to exchange images in TMT maps, there I wanted to show real map names, these names only with numbers, no one can memorize permanently. However, I was told when I asked in the TMT forum (Ubi) whether this was even allowed to upload modified maps so. that this is not desirable in TMT. Has probably there something changed? I ask only because with this tool also TMT maps can be changed and maybe some Players will do this.

(My Threads seems to be deleted, i posted it here too, but removed the download because, it was not allowed.)Yes, i looked into PN in UBI-TMT-Forum, AlinoA_ removed it.
Miss

Post by Miss »

When was that? Rules might have changed since release of Turbo.
I also stream and tweet.
Derfuhr

Post by Derfuhr »

That was in Mai 2017.

Return to “Openplanet”