Shadows calculation insanely long with a 5700xt gpu

Moderator: English Moderator

Harest

Shadows calculation insanely long with a 5700xt gpu

Post by Harest »

Hi,

I didn't map in a while. Changed my PC since and i just did a map recently, a first one in ShootMania (Obstacle mode). Display cost of 10558. Nothing really big. Back then in TM² calculating shadows in high for such map would not take more than 2/3 minutes with the 7870 i had. Here it takes 30 minutes to an hour.

I did several tests now (clean MP install (with different user/common data folders to have default settings), Logs exec, ...), and the conclusion is relatively simple on what is actually happening: GPU isn't used properly while calculating shadows. It stays at around 3% usage while in TM2020 (testing purpose) it went to 98% gpu usage.

I feel like there's an issue with the 5700xt there (wouldn't be the first) and that i'm doomed because MP will never get updated anymore :/. Did anyone ever had such an issue? Were you able to fix it somehow? Not buying another GPU that is.

Just to clear things up, i can play without any issues, i've 146 fps, no vsync (freesync on), all good. It's really just during the shadows calculation the GPU just decides to "enter sleep mode" (just to illustrate, there's no such mode).
It's also not just tied to "high" shadows calculation, it's the same for all quality (low / default / high).

I've a log file if wanted where i just open a test map in the editor (old map of mine with also 10k5 display cost in TM²) and calculate shadows up to 10% before exiting the game. Not sure there's much in it though.
Last edited by Harest on 09 Jun 2021, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
LuckyBoy
Nadeo
Nadeo

Re: Shadows calculation insanely long with a 5700xt gpu

Post by LuckyBoy »

Hi could you tell what graphic driver version you're using (if the bug still occurs) ?

Thanks
Harest

Post by Harest »

Hi, sure. I'm using v20.9.2 of Radeon Software. In details:
(First line in the software version, second the driver one)

I didn't update to the latest ones atm because of this specific known issue i don't want to deal with:
Radeon FreeSyncâ„¢ may intermittently become locked while on desktop after performing task switching between extended and primary displays upon closing a game, causing poor performance or stuttering. A system restart is a potential workaround if this is experienced.
As a side note, @opreax pmed me about the issue but didn't say much. I assume (s)he has the same issue. I only know (s)he has a 6800xt.
Edit: Just saw (s)he did a thread on the subject.
Alinoa

Post by Alinoa »

Hi Harest,

We would need more detailed information for the Amd team. Could you please give us the following information?
Steps to reproduce the issue
Any known configuration (GPU and drivers) where the game used to work fine

You don't encounter this issue on TM 2020, right?

Thank you :)
Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

More information about maniaplanet, support, contents, community activities: useful links

ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated server, Mediatracker, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...)
Harest

Post by Harest »

Hi,

Steps to reproduce assuming you've 5700xt drivers installed (cf. previous message for the exact ones i've) and Maniaplanet with any title activated on it, we'll take TM² Stadium as example:
  • Launch ManiaPlanet
  • Enter the TitlePack/game TM² Stadium once on the main menu (after login)
  • Choose Editor -> Map Editor -> New map -> Advanced -> Any time
  • Place a few blocks (like 100 or something), we'll say 5-1-1 as example by maintaining space to use quick placement. Let's say first on the floor and then like four block height higher (so Y = 9 and Y = 13)
  • Click the first bottom right icon of advanced custom tools
  • Click "Calculate shadows"
  • Choose any option between fast and high. High will allow to see the problem for a longer period of time
  • See the gpu load being at 2-3% top instead of 98-100%
Previous configuration where it worked fine for me in terms of GPU and drivers was with my old PC, using a 7870 with what i assume being the drivers included in Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.12.1. The exec being created on 2019-12-04 (file version 10.1.2.1788, 26 401 464 octets). On win7 x64 with a Core 2 Quad Q9400 as CPU.

It works fine in TM2020 indeed.
Thanks to you too for investigating this issue.

Note: I see i didn't include much setup info, but i'm currently on Win10 (issue experienced on both 1909 (recently EOL too) and 20H2). Kinda "mandatory" for new hardware and Win7 EOL has been reached last year. CPU being a Ryzen 5 3600, and i've 32Go of RAM. The version of the 5700xt is the Sapphire Pulse 8GB VRAM.
I pm'ed you the log i was talking about in the first message too just in case.
Alinoa

Post by Alinoa »

Thank you Harest :thumbsup:
Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

More information about maniaplanet, support, contents, community activities: useful links

ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated server, Mediatracker, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...)
Harest

Post by Harest »

A little additional info: Even with the latest drivers (Radeon Software 21.5.2), the issue is still there.

I updated because i'm experiencing a very annoying issue in another game: Control. The game will freeze sometimes w/ gpu load reaching 0%. So i wanted to give a try to the new drivers. Didn't try yet*, i'll later but i've little faith in any improvement. Thing is a memcheck gives a positive result (no issue detected), SSD (1.5 y.o.) didn't show any strange sign, voltage is clean, VRAM is slightly above 50% used so all good. I submitted the issue to the devs, we never know.
*Edit: Tried but no change still.

I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶C̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶a̶t̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶ ̶g̶u̶e̶s̶s̶.̶ ̶H̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶.̶ Edit: It's totally not. Here it was related to my firewall and its "do not disturb" mode which probably block some stuff in Control that made the game hang badly.
Alinoa

Post by Alinoa »

Hi Harest,

AMD team is unable to reproduce the issue, we can see GPU UTIL reaching 90%, against the claiming 3% max.

They created more than 20 blocks, instead of the mentioned 5-1-1 setup in STR, but still unable to reproduce the issue while computing shadows using high mode.

Configuration Used:
GPU: RX 5700XT
CPU: i7 8700k
RAM: 16GB
Build: 21.3.1 March 24 Adrenalin driver, 21.30 210651524.

So, they want to know if there are any specific settings to reproduce the issue. Also, if possible, please share/publish the created map (from TM2 Stadium).

Many thanks :)
Alinoa
Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

Harest

Post by Harest »

Hi,

That's unfortunate :/.

I don't think i've anything special on. Back when i got my config i asked Riolu what settings he had because i felt some stuttering and once i changed everything was good again. I'm not 100% sure about the frame limit though, if i'm not mistaken you want to put it a bit lower than the refresh rate of your monitor to avoid any issue? But maybe with freesync it's a non issue, no idea. Generally i put 144 as framelimit, but it's not affecting the matter we've here i think.

Anyway, here are the screenshots of the settings with a bonus screenshot where we see the gpu load during the calculation, here at 0% on this particular frame.
https://imgur.com/a/Oojkugz

And here's the map i made just now for this post.
Harest

Post by Harest »

For posterity, i played a bit Shootmania Obstacle again recently as the titlepack got updated with a campaign. I was watching Unmecrandomofficiel's stream and for a very little map i saw his shadows calculation taking an abnormal amount of time. I was surprised until i saw he had the same GPU than i've.

So i still don't know how AMD was able to do just fine with it. To me there definitely is something broken there.
If wanted, here's his config:
Processeur : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (3.6 GHz)
Carte Mère : Gigabyte B550 GAMING X
Ram : DDR4 Corsair Vengeance - 32 Go (2 x 16 Go) 3200 MHz
Carte Graphique : Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G
SSD M.2 : Corsair Force MP510 240 Go
SSD : Samsung Série 860 QVO 1 To
Alimentation : Gigabyte- 750W

Return to “MP4.1 REPORTS / BUGS / INFORMATION”