[Urgent] Maps using Custom Blocks included in TitlePacks fail to load on servers

Moderator: English Moderator

MrA

Re: [Urgent] Maps using Custom Blocks included in TitlePacks fail to load on servers

Post by MrA »

Regardless, nobodies own made map can by added to an online server at the moment in TMOne Alpine.
Just want to be able to play custom maps on online servers, so that the Alpine party can take off :thx:
(And I'd like Tom to be able to play with his friends too) :clap:
Last edited by MrA on 29 Jul 2019, 06:03, edited 3 times in total.
Enjoying TMOne
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Re: [Urgent] Maps using Custom Blocks included in TitlePacks fail to load on servers

Post by eyebo »

Adding this info to the first post as well since it's pertinent to the investigation

I did some further testing.

I know that the game actually can read items placed in the blocks folder. You can use them in the Map Editor.

So in case this was simply an issue of the server being unable to read the Blocks folder, I ran the whole Maker titlepack test mentioned in the first post using an item instead of a block.

The in-game server had no issues loading a map with an item that is stored in the blocks folder of the titlepack.

So this leads me to believe the cause has something to do with the games' ability to read Custom Blocks when they're standalone files.
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
CatWithScarf

Post by CatWithScarf »

Bumping, I want to play with Tom :cry:
Electron

Post by Electron »

eyebo wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 17:39I did some further testing.
Do the custom blocks you tested use custom materials and/or custom textures? Have you ever tried a very simple custom block (the default cube without external references)?

From my own experience (but it's been a long time ago) you should (just for this test) also set the flag "internal" to "false" for all relevant folders in the ManiaPlanetTitle.xml file:

Code: Select all

<folders>
<folder name="Maps\\" public="false" internal="true"/>
<folder name="Scripts\\" public="false" internal="true"/>
<folder name="Replays\\" public="true" internal="true"/>
<folder name="Replays\\Menu\\" public="true" internal="true"/>
<folder name="Items\\" public="true" internal="false"/>
<folder name="Materials\\" public="false" internal="false"/>
<folder name="Blocks\\" public="false" internal="false"/>
<folder name="Media\\" public="false" internal="false"/>
<folder name="Skins\\Models\\CarCommon\\" public="true" internal="false"/>
<folder name="Skins\\" public="true" internal="false"/>
</folders>
And run all tests with a title pack created with the legacy creator and not with the TitleMaker title.

It all does a little work. But thanks to the ghost editor you don't have to set up a dedicated server.
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

Thanks for the ideas Electron.

The TMOne Alpine titlepack is created with the legacy creator. (I'm not the one who compiles it)

But I personally have no knowledge how to do it that way. So that's why I was also testing with the Maker.

None of the blocks I tested use custom textures. Neither does the one used in Alpine. They're all blocks that normally work if embedded in the map file.

I am aware of these options you mentioned. Normally TMOne Alpine has "public" set to true and "internal" set to true. I just had florenzius test with "internal" set to false, but it didn't solve the issue with the server.

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
Electron

Post by Electron »

I have reconstructed the situation, but could find neither the cause nor a workaround for the problem.

What's strange is that the custom block in the map is named "ValleyVoid.Block.Gbx_CustomBlock" (but the error message shows the correct name).
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

Thanks for investigating it Electron :thx:

eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

You might have noticed there's a server up in Alpine with the campaign maps.

This only works because all the campaign maps use an embedded void block (instead of the titlepack one). We switched to an embedded one during the Alpine beta in an effort to get the Ghost Editor working. So these are the only maps that work online.

I wish I would have had the forethought to know that the issue with the Ghost Editor may have meant the maps would have issues in other places, like online. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

FYI, there's about 100 maps already built outside of the campaign that we can't host online.

MrA

Post by MrA »

I would guess that cant include KO11 maps (which are secret) and Sparksters TMO/StarTrack rebuilds
Enjoying TMOne

Return to “MP4.1 REPORTS / BUGS / INFORMATION”