Maniaplanet after 5 Years - What does the community say?

Discuss everything related to Maniaplanet.

Moderator: English Moderator

Ozon

Maniaplanet after 5 Years - What does the community say?

Post by Ozon » 17 May 2015, 21:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWpLqvS1-GI

Remember this video?

What are your thoughts? Did we reach the goal of having two game genres connected in one engine harmonically?

Some thoughts by me:

- It's cool to have one engine for two different games. Well, basically it is the same game, but Maniaplanet sure is a first in the gaming world. I still feel that titlepacks disrupt the feeling too much by splitting up communities, but I am sure that this can be fixed without eliminating the Titlepack system (e.g. "show all gamemodes"-function in the serverbrowser; titlepack organisation in the main menu like "sorting by game" or else; as a creator, the function to degrade a titlepack to a "extension pack" only for additional blocks and items and more...)

- The customizablity is amazing so far. I can't wait to have less limitations. Custom mediatracker plugins and interface would make out a huge deal for example.

- With the next environment coming, we will have 4 environments! We are getting closer to a TM² United. Great job with Valley and Canyon. Canyon got the polish we wanted and Valley is awesome enough, also because of the custom blocks implementation. Even though there are still some blocks missing in my opinion (More Y-shaped block styles especially in Valley; better terraforming; Valley with Rally-like hill transitions...) it makes out a beautiful and interesting environment. For some even considered the most beautiful.

- I can only speculate about the next update, but I consider this one a Maniaplanet v1.0 . So far we have been through a lot of bugs, discussions, debates, testing and developing of game mechanics. With that update, this should be like 90 % through. The next "major game updates" would be of smaller significance. Even though Hylis scheduled MP4 for 2016, I would still like to say congratulations for the amazing Maniaplanet project and thank you for being a smoothly-integrated part of it.

We'll see what the future brings. So far I see a secure playerbase (not as big as we might have expected) with passionate players and a really creative and sexy community! Better than too big I guess. :yes:

What do you think? I invite the devs of Nadeo to talk with us too. Would like to hear some throwbacks and aspirations, simply because we are mostly a nostalgic bunch =)

ManiaExchange Lead Developer, video person and experienced project organizer.
Discord: Ozon#0359 · MX · Adventcalendar resources · TM-Tube is back

TheBigG.

Re: Maniaplanet after 5 Years - What does the community say?

Post by TheBigG. » 18 May 2015, 02:45

Maniaplanet is nice but does have 1 big and a small issue: major is the too small playerbase and for events the stability issues. The game was big in esport, but is now on afaik zero big esport events played.

So far i would say we did reach the goal of devolpment but everything else is gone wrong.
You don't see trackmania on Gamescom or E3, there are no big events which feature maniaplanet games, afaik FB's weekly race and SmurfsCup are the biggest events.
This small playerbase is a major problem for events because its nearly impossible to get sponsors for events.

I don't get what Nadeos strategy is for the future because if it goes on like in the past there will be no future for this game, atleast for me.
Client:
OS: Win10/Debian CPU: Intel 9900k GPU: NVIDIA 1080TI Display: 3x Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz 1440p@165 Hz

Server:
OS: Debian Stable @ Backports Kernel CPU: Intel 6700k RAM: 32 GB Storage: 2x 256 GB NVMe SSD@Raid 1

novationx

Post by novationx » 18 May 2015, 10:34

TheBigG. wrote:Maniaplanet is nice but does have 1 big and a small issue: major is the too small playerbase and for events the stability issues. The game was big in esport, but is now on afaik zero big esport events played.

So far i would say we did reach the goal of devolpment but everything else is gone wrong.
You don't see trackmania on Gamescom or E3, there are no big events which feature maniaplanet games, afaik FB's weekly race and SmurfsCup are the biggest events.
This small playerbase is a major problem for events because its nearly impossible to get sponsors for events.

I don't get what Nadeos strategy is for the future because if it goes on like in the past there will be no future for this game, atleast for me.
I agree with you 100%.

And killa also said in his 1st post that he isnt 100% happy with the titlepacks etc. I also think this is because of the playerbase. It breaks my hearth that somebody has made an awesome game-mode but nobody ends up playing it... Or I get sad when I want to play instagib, but it's first my "job" to ask people to play ... There is no fun in that.

Also people say MatchMaking is never balanced, but the MM-System cant balance matches if there are only 6 players to choose from...

So in a way Maniaplanet offers a lot of good things with the possibility of creating stuff yourself, but if there is nobody to enjoy all these tools & creations then what's the point of creating something in the 1st place.

After a year of silence I think NADEO will surprize us with the next update. Imo it's going to be huge. How else would they dare to be silent like this... I truely hope that they didn't add too much new stuff and improved practically everything and made it TOP-Quality / Bug-free. Premium-Feel.
I'm sure they'll readvertise the game when the next update comes out and then maybe everything can get better again! I'm sure it will :)
The neverending waiting game has to stop.

BigBuddha

Post by BigBuddha » 18 May 2015, 20:04

I am kind of suprised, maniaplanet still exists.

I remember when Canyon was released an everybody was euphric and all that ... but it quickly faded away and doubts about Maniaplanet were raised. That cycle repeated after every title release. A quick boost, then a drought.
Personally, I think these games are great, and have the potential to be so much more, than what they are now. Sure they need improvement here and there, but they are still good games. Yet, over the past years I have been thinking, when do they hit the kill switch. Marketing was small, and didn't really catch on, small playerbase, small representation in esports, constant hate-threads in the forum; it seems Maniaplanet is deteriorating.

Yet we are still here and that gives me hope, that we will still be here in 2020. And that we will see Questmania one day.

Lorisa

Post by Lorisa » 19 May 2015, 00:26

I have something to tell you.

I originally imagined the ManiaPlanet titles apart from the extra custom. Suppose it could be Storm Canyon, Stadium, The Valley, and all.

No Royal, Elite, Heroes, Joust, and other things! That's what created Nadeo 4 games! Where are all the other derivatives of the Canyon, Storm, Valley, etc. ..

When you scroll up in the MP main menu, we must to see exactly 4 title and nothing else! Because exactly 4 games were created during all of this time. (Of course for a new environments by Nadeo the place is always open).

I think further questions suggest themselves. What the developers have do all of this time? Nothing! ShootMania they made!

You propose to continue to develop something? Actually what? The game is essentially dead. Or rather trying to seem alive but dying! Why? Because nobody needs these shooter!

The reason? Wrong selected priorities, lack of time? (Scolding from a Ubi sponsor?) Other things that we will never know. It's Nadeo guys, believe and be positive. ツ

"Everything is great, play and joy, we develop, we make the game better, we are creating the future, and big breakthrough in the game!" That's just... No more any of "Us"! There are developers and what is left of avid ТМ fans. Well, a little more the people whom already like a Storm. The end!

There' s nothing! What you do? What are you hoping for? I really I don't know what to say on that! Duh... Okay, it's just like a test, invented by the developer. ツ

Just take a few players and torment until they get bored and they run away leaving the game "for the elite." What do you do with them if it is to be a only ten players?
Well, ok ... adding thirty. Let it be forty or fifty players in MP community. Is not that a brilliant solution from Nadeo?

You don't care about us! It doesn't matter even for a deeply respected director of the company. (Alternatively, there are serious reasons for the delay, why the secrecy? Why do not you say what you are doing ShootMania Power Up Now?)

Why deliberately leave these holes in the MP referring to employment, to write on the forums by posting false date and TM year defined environments and so forth? Or maintain an atmosphere of positivity phony trying to fool a million TM fans like me. While themselves busy to make another raw-shooter.

In a blog post for some reason, writing about some obscure undone innovations ShootMania Power up,
"Hello Planet 4".

Why are you doing this? If we are physically unimportant to you!
If you only care about your plan, but not a regular user.
Why do you constantly are lying?
  • -
    This is reminiscent of the desert. Just imagine you go on a hot and torrid sand. You want a drink very cold water ✽. But there's nothing here.

So, we walked farther and farther away. Gone all months and years ahead.
    But someone☻ in the group said. "That over the next hill is waiting for us an oasis!" We start to go faster we begin to smile, despite the heat, the weather-beaten sand, drought, and so on.
    Over the next hill is waiting for us - nothing! It was just a joke ッ But guy☻ simple told: "So I had in mind that hill over there!" And shows such a same-only much further.

Again, you gritting his teeth as a flock like camels go to ramming cacti, shooing Vultures and sliding on the sand the last effort in the hope of H₂O! But over the next hill we're got... - Attention!

THE MIRAGE! Easier to say this place is not here! And then again, suddenly appears a nerd☻, who says: "There's over there on that hill has to be exactly the water - I feels it smell cool!" You will to eat it again and again, as the latest simpletons!

So the last year is gone while one person just die ☠ not withstanding this madness, this humiliation, these silly hopes, etc. Gradually, all people as one man just die ☠. A desert swallow them all drowned body's in hot and sultry sand.
    Their souls never repose until the end of time will look for water ✽

The end of story.
    -[/i]
    [✽] (update environment TM, new blocks | are not objects! | Etc)
    [☻] (lie-whisperer)
    [☠] leave.
    --
All of this tales to say the following: - "Nadeo" Finish engaged shooters! We are not interested on it! Do what you do the best - it's a racing!" Stop torturing all around! I assure you if you change the course of all your weaknesses will become your advantages!

And what was once perceived with disgust in Storm will be a plus in the Lagoon! You just have to understand me! Since "I've been waiting four years for a normal exit the station and all I got is a restructuring of TM and unfinished shooter".

Are you crazy all? Or you just like so mock of the players? If my message reached even to someone I suggest voting for development only TrackMania! TRACKMANIA AND ONLY TRACKMANIA! The ShootMania will you making later! After the release all environments for TrackMania! That make the game's the most of popular breaking the record of "Nations" and "TMU" "TMUF"! etc..

You have no right to behave like this with us because we are your players and that we are your power! If you will not listen to us we simply leave! You will be free to play themselves in Storm-bugs!

In general, it's pretty positive. Let's wait another six months to Storm Power Up? ツ
Well, and then another year before the full environment Lagoon, plus, minus transfers two-three years))

Then the next year we will wipe up maps in the storm online eSports gaming ツ
You know, what my dear developers, go to hell with their shooters!
I've already oversaturated them all!

I say this as I could. Because it has become painful. I apologize in advance for the fact that if I hurt someone else. Thanks for understanding and TrackMania.

See ya! ツ

riolu

Post by riolu » 19 May 2015, 01:45

It took me quite a while to understand your broken, Google-Translated English. Anyways, the whole point of your post seems to be that Nadeo should focus on TrackMania only and throw away ShootMania. Then you didn't quite understand the purpose of ManiaPlanet. ManiaPlanet is a portal for different games from different genres where people from all over the globe can play together and share their creations. If Nadeo decides to let ShootMania go, where is the purpose of ManiaPlanet? Then they could've just went ahead and upgraded TMUF. But that's not the goal.
If YOU don't like ShootMania, then just don't play it and stop bothering about it. Don't try to convince other people of not playing it or don't even dare to blame the lack of players in general to ShootMania.
Because nobody needs these shooter!
I've already oversaturated them all!
Then have fun with TrackMania.
Alternatively, there are serious reasons for the delay, why the secrecy?
Why? Because Nadeo decides to release news about upcoming stuff. whenever they feel it's a good moment to do so. In other words, release news once their things are close to being finished - to prevent false hopes due to sudden plan changes. I can absolutely understand their politics.
Let's wait another six months to Storm Power Up? ツ
Not sure if you know, but Nadeo already stated that 2015 will be a year dedicated to TrackMania only. Good news to ShootMania haters like you.
Well, and then another year before the full environment Lagoon, plus, minus transfers two-three years))
Unnecessary irony)) Lagoon is probably closer than you might think it is.

To get back to the actual topic:
I agree with previous posts. ManiaPlanet itself is a unique concept and definitely deserves more attention. The games are great, fun and competitive due to their skill factor. Sure there have been some wrong decisions made, especially eSport-wise, but considering how small Nadeo is, ManiaPlanet has made an incredibly huge progress from 2011 to today. It sure is sad to see the decreasing amount of players and attention for the games as well, probably due to a) the still confusing titlepack system (new players are literally lost) and b) stability/bug/gameplay issues but I suppose it's still not too late to make things happen, especially due to the existing, very loyal community.
Looking forward to upcoming news. ;)

Lorisa

Post by Lorisa » 19 May 2015, 11:11

First, I'm sorry, I began to learn English recently. I've still not very good on writing, but I do not get upset and try to make it better.

(A) Yes, I very much do not like this FPS game. (Although there are some interesting moments. For example bots: "AI" always attracted me the most, a good editor movements, albeit terribly buggy during testing it, and a good "Platform title" for a single player). No way it will not go! I'll be in this play! Because I bought it! I've spent my money on it!

(B) No, here you are wrong! ManiaPlanet is an attempt to unite the race; shooter; RPG into one! It means to reconcile the irreconcilable! Align the players with different tastes and preferences, and to please them all! That's what it means!

(C) I suggest not to throw Storm, just leave on time! I'm talking about the fact that the developers have paid TM - Lots of his attention, then go to the shooter, and further-on. Ie actually see what I'm saying: This release and the creation of all TM environments before you go the SM! What? Yes, because in this way in the race will attract all lovers and fans of TM, you know it, that not a small group! (But I do not know how things stand now).

(D) Once again, I stress that. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. But I'm trying to say about that - If Mania Planet receive at least part of the community, that you've had it would have been much more easier. And the reason for that would be a massive support community, who likes to play the game! What do we see now? It rejects most FPS, and prefers to race. I'm no one of them.

Just read: http://ragebar.blogspot.com/2012/02/rev ... anyon.html

And there are a lot more. You do not change us (as Microsoft could not convince the Windows 8 users), you can only play on the split TrackMania; ShootMania and QuestMania. But you do not achieve a full merger within the meaning of the majority. You know, at the shooters have a special look and mind on most things in the world. While riders prefer more drive music, with crush metal's on the road and fast wind in the back.

(E) Well, how much is still waiting for? Month? Year? A week? I can not wait to buy it and play through Steam with my friends! And where is the promised tons of positives?
I just do not see them!

(F) Really? And what is it expressed? Oh yeah, I forgot to ESports games, right? Or maybe once skins, of which I can make some much more every day? Yes, you're just kidding. I just cannot to understand it!

(G) But I do not think so. Perhaps there will be another positive teleport, given all that we play - at Christmas time. Yay! (Okay, it's too much)) Maybe the end of summer? Sounds good, does it?

Blah-Blah-Blah...

(H) Ugh. You about it again. -_-
Allow me to explain something..
  • Today ShootMania Storm is increasingly seen as a demo version, which sells for a full game. Single piece in the game there, too, no co-op, the opportunity to play in split screen mode - that is no longer available. In this game, everything revolves around only part of the line. Training mode no instructions - are not. That is, it is assumed that the players immediately start to play it online. I will say more about ShootMania:
    Now you can not run off-line, which is somewhat symbolizes. In this game, there is nothing only a online-shooters the arena and editors who do not know why all included here. In this game, everything is so cut off, even the Canyon on its background seems full game without flaws.

ShootMania Storm is part of ManiaPlanet, therefore, the requirements for this game will be presented on the basis of these very beliefs. In a more or less positive way the game can be assessed only in two cases:

The game should be free! (Not a demo!)
    The game should be released separately from ManiaPlanet!

But as ShootMania was released in the composition of ManiaPlanet, therefore, this game must comply with the concept of the project: the game for everyone. That is, should be worked out all the necessary aspects such as the solo game on a local network, an online toolkit for creating rich modifications openness games and stuff. Is ShootMania project concept? No! Does the game ample opportunity for self-realization? No!! It is interesting whether the gameplay for the casual player? No!!! ShootMania designed exclusively for competition "for the elite," so almost completely knocked out of the concept of ManiaPlanet.

Another great bug from Nadeo - nature appearance is unknown: viewtopic.php?f=437&t=29740
    -
    Let me try!

The development of online, part - is only half the game, therefore, the final assessment can now easily be divided into two as a single piece in the game there. Multi-part worked out poorly - in ShootMania playable, but not for long. The same game elements, the same tactics, the similarity of many modes (including custom), the same management problems, is nothing new - many ripped off other cyber games, for example, with Quake, Unreal Tournament and Tribes: Ascend. This capacity is not just a little, it's too small!

Tools presented in the game has proved popular in a series of TrackMania, but it is not relevant in the ShootMania Storm, as it can not be implemented in full force. Wonderful editor, excellent design, good graphics and so on - all these pros notch standing unbearable dullness game with terrible management and search of bugs and errors. This is a good first attempt at writing, but as a commercial project - it is an absolute failure. ShootMania confronts a strange goal - as soon as possible to get bored the player.

It would be better ShootMania and stayed in the game long term. Now it is obvious that the developers can not create a shooter such as unusual as TrackMania. They have made some rip-off on the Quake III: Arena interspersed with elements of TrackMania, thus severely abused both projects at once. This is something foreign, not in the spirit of past games. So primitive, imperfect still buggy, cropped, closed, squalid, and so on. It is to be seen, but better - not to see.

Nothing more to add ...
    Now I realized that the real failure - a project «FPS from Nadeo». If the Canyon, and now we can fix anything, to add content and capabilities, in the case of ShootMania nothing can be done - unless redo everything from scratch. Concept - the problem is there. It is a completely different project: Why it was included in ManiaPlanet? Is still a mystery.
[+] Pros:

Graphics, decorations, lighting, effects.
Map Editor, mediatreker, action maker.
Esports tournaments.
Fun time online.

[-] Cons:

Boring and monotonous gameplay
Nothing new, parasitizing on existing ideas
Not only content and features
Many superfluous: the world, * .pack.gbx, senseless mania-services
The absence of functional tools
Many errors and imperfections
The vegetation, shade worked poorly
Removed a lot of good blocks, degraded scenery since earlier versions
Closeness of the game, running only with an Internet connection
No solos and others, different from the online mode of the game
The idea of ​​"flexible ladder" has failed: the PRO play against noobs
Limited editing capabilities and enhance game
Few players are almost no community
Price too high for a game with such content and features
Map Editor and mediatreker: inconvenience, there are errors
Poor support the game developers (even in beta)
The almost complete disregard for critics players developers
Bugs in the new instruments obscure bugs in the code of the game
High system requirements for the game with a similar level of graphics

--
Short verdict: An attempt to make the likeness of shooter failed, and in the likeness of Quake III: Arena - too. ShootMania Storm is hardly even the demo version. It's unclear: For What has been spent so much of time and effort? Why the output has turned a mediocre product? The first failure in the line of games from Nadeo. This is a disaster.

I' m sorry I' ve been such a pain :c
Last edited by Lorisa on 20 May 2015, 11:40, edited 5 times in total.

Ozon

Post by Ozon » 19 May 2015, 11:25

SIGH.

Edit: sigh
ManiaExchange Lead Developer, video person and experienced project organizer.
Discord: Ozon#0359 · MX · Adventcalendar resources · TM-Tube is back

toffe

Post by toffe » 19 May 2015, 11:36

Who are you lorisa. If I may ask.
Do you play the game? Or are you talking about another game?
Because there is a community in Tm + sm. bigger than most of the games.

HaagseSmurf

Post by HaagseSmurf » 19 May 2015, 11:41

Lorisa wrote:Blah-Blah-Blah...
I have read your post now for the 4th time and i hardly understand your post.

I have also seen your same view (at least i think it is the same view) in a lot of topics:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31028
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31007&start=20#p244831
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30987&p=244601#p244601
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30010&p=243889#p243889

I dont know the reason why you have to express your same view in so many topics, perhaps because not many of us understand it that much. It now seems a bit more like trolling then really giving your opinion.
Maybe you should start your own topic, give your expressions there and let them stay there, so other topics can be filled with relative posts.

Greetz,
Last edited by HaagseSmurf on 19 May 2015, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
HaagseSmurf

Check Smurfen.net and / or Smurfen.nu for all info.
You can also like our facebookpage at FaceBook Smurfen.net.
Or just visit
our Smurfen.net Canyon servers,
the Smurfen.net Valley and Royalserver.

Return to “Maniaplanet”