Review after 11 years Trackmania

Discuss everything related to Maniaplanet.

Moderator: English Moderator

hackie

Re: Review after 11 years Trackmania

Post by hackie »

Hylis wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 16:44 I am reading. Things are much more complicated than each component and it takes time, but it's always precious to read. Thanks.
You are quite active the last couple of days here on the forum and discord. Nice ! :thumbsup:

Keyword : Communication :roflol:
System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K / 4 GHz - 8 MB cache
GPU: MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G - OC Edition
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
RAM : 32Gb Kingston HyperX Savage - DDR4
DirectX 11
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

hackie :thumbsup: :lol:
McBain

Post by McBain »

Personally i feel a big dip atm when i go online. the same issues persist since my first post

What i see is that MP4 is now much more stable than at the beginning but still lacks the feeling of something real new.
- Channels have not increased online activity as i feared (it was in best times about 40 players online same time, now i rarely see more than 20)
- Offline there seem still some players active. I play a new titlepack and i drive against about 100 others. Not many but still more than i would expect when i look online
- Online activity feels like 20% lower and some of my communities (e.g. Chase community) are much less active than they were half a year ago
- Valley and Lagoon are very very very dead online (Lagoon from the beginning)
- Stadium depending a lot on cups else also less than 500 players at the same time

I hope for "the big project". But i hope more that Nadeo knows it will need more advertisement. Also if it will be a real good update for Shootmania it could help TM2 if its really a success.

I know why i am close to quit some times. Not because of the bloody UI which is very annoying some times but because there is just nobody who wants to play the same as me online. The feeling of nothing new just makes it worse and many players just quit because they feel like "nice game" i saw everything and the community is dead.

@Nadeo: maybe you have some stats about accounts playing in channels and afterwards buying the game. Does it work at all or do they just quit after some time?
Alinoa

Post by Alinoa »

Hey McBain :)

I don't know the stats but what I know is that some players having free accounts can play the free version a long time before purchasing the game (or they don't want to buy it). We have again a testimony here^^
Miss wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 13:11 For what it's worth, that's probably a fine idea - after all, I only bought TMUF after playing a lot of TMNF and loving it. :D
I have a question for you as you are a Chase fan, where do you play Chase? Do you like playing it on channels or you prefer on dedicated servers? And which version of chase do you prefer?

Cheers :)
Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

More information about maniaplanet, support, contents, community activities: useful links

ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated server, Mediatracker, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...)
Miss

Post by Miss »

I like Chase on channels, mostly because there's barely anyone on dedicated servers playing Chase, sadly. Mostly the original Chase, since I've always experienced lags/delays in the team Chase, although for the longest time we've (Nimz/Velox) always wanted to have a team Chase tournament, but it never came to it.
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
Demented

Post by Demented »

I rarely play online but that's in part because most of the time when I do go on there isn't a mode in channels that interests me available at that time, so I leave or play a solo mode for a bit.
Would it make any difference if there was a channel for each environment? Or maybe four channels each with different game modes running?
Or would that just thin out the player pool even more?

Another idea: How about a second channel where people could hop on at any time and just simply race for best laps or times on tracks randomly chosen from a "Track Playlist". The Track Playlist would be updated daily by players voting (maybe five votes per day) on their favorite tracks (fitting restriction limits) found on Mania Exchange (or any other map collection site) and the top voted, say 100 or so tracks over the past 60 days, become the Random Track Playlist.
This insures maps that are proven to be fun and gives players a simple way to jump on and have fun for as long as they wish.
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit
McBain

Post by McBain »

Alinoa wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 08:48 Hey McBain :)

I don't know the stats but what I know is that some players having free accounts can play the free version a long time before purchasing the game (or they don't want to buy it). We have again a testimony here^^
Miss wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 13:11 For what it's worth, that's probably a fine idea - after all, I only bought TMUF after playing a lot of TMNF and loving it. :D
I have a question for you as you are a Chase fan, where do you play Chase? Do you like playing it on channels or you prefer on dedicated servers? And which version of chase do you prefer?

I also bought TMU that time only because i loved TMN :) But I think nowadways you can only play in channels as a free acc within Maniaplanet? And i was arguing that in my opinion this channel concept doesnt really work as it is at the moment to recruit new players.
I have a fancy idea regarding this ever hot topic what should be free and what should be paid. Why not (@Nadeo's preferred time but better sooner than later) make the whole TM2 game free for like 1 or 2 months together with some nice competitions with prizes (extended full demo)? I think something like this would get easily a lot of attention and "free" advertisement. I think if a lot of new people join the game some of them will like the magic of TM and enrich the game with their presence. Also if there is more "live" online there will be also much more fun for the community being maybe to create again more spirit for all the nice stuff that TM2 has.

About chase: i play most often on VIC's stad chase, canyon chase and on Neyne Space Chase (Valley). I dont like the TA Chase so much and the channel maps for the normal chase got a bit boring. But it was very nice to have chase in channels to promote the mode. In that sense the channels even worked. But still it was not possible to create a community big enough to have populated chase servers without some organization effort...
null8fuenf10

Post by null8fuenf10 »

Demented wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 15:28 I rarely play online but that's in part because most of the time when I do go on there isn't a mode in channels that interests me available at that time, so I leave or play a solo mode for a bit.
Would it make any difference if there was a channel for each environment? Or maybe four channels each with different game modes running?
Or would that just thin out the player pool even more?

Another idea: How about a second channel where people could hop on at any time and just simply race for best laps or times on tracks randomly chosen from a "Track Playlist". The Track Playlist would be updated daily by players voting (maybe five votes per day) on their favorite tracks (fitting restriction limits) found on Mania Exchange (or any other map collection site) and the top voted, say 100 or so tracks over the past 60 days, become the Random Track Playlist.
This insures maps that are proven to be fun and gives players a simple way to jump on and have fun for as long as they wish.
What about let the paying Users decide at End of Channel programm, to stay on this channel and give Demo Users a hint that when they buy the Game they can play this mode as long they are willing to?

And NADEO, please open up the White Flags (Edit: "or one Track of each Flag") for DemoUsers and let them Race against others Ghosts on this! Also can you please give them 30min. free Access to the Servers in each Envi? When on Channels runs a programm, they don't like, they can go and experience other parts of the game!
And ServerOwners would be also happy, for this little boost of players, i think. 8-)
Then i would let them play around with the Editors, but don't let them save their creations! I think, they must see what they miss.

What do you think about this, NADEO?

Greetings
null8fuenf10 :pil
Last edited by null8fuenf10 on 25 Sep 2018, 18:06, edited 3 times in total.
null8fuenf10

Post by null8fuenf10 »

Alinoa wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 08:48 Hey McBain :)

I play often on channels and i saw a few of the DemoPlayers, bought and are willing to buy Envis, cause the new Demo System and cause they like the driving. But many still doesn't know, that TM2 has a huge Solo Content, many or most tracks are UserCreated and that there are many Tournaments and Competitions in the community.
This is a thing people also should know. Advertise more this things in the Demo, give hints for ManiaExchange, Maniapark and this Forum!

For Chase i personally think it's not a channel programm, it's more a Server thing. Cause it makes more sense, with a bit advanced drivers. And on Channels mostly they are not!
But for advertising it, it's fine! For me personally, it's too much Chase on Channels right now. 8-)

What i miss is a nice Lagoon Channel! LagoonRounds from CSY is boring, for me! :(

A Question to you Alinoa, a bit out of Topic. :)
Is it possible to create a ChannelProgramm and use Maps created from others, from ManiaExchange?
And when yes, must i ask, the creator for permission, to use the map?
Or must all maps made by me in a Channel?

Greetings
null8fuenf10 :pil
Alinoa

Post by Alinoa »

Hey Null8fuenf10 :)

First of all, thank you for your feedback :thumbsup:

You can use maps created by other players in channels. When uploading a map on https://www.maniaplanet.com/maps/manager/upload, two details are displayed: the name of the person who uploaded the map and the name of the map creator.
The creator name is in the map file ;)

Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

More information about maniaplanet, support, contents, community activities: useful links

ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated server, Mediatracker, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...)

Return to “Maniaplanet”