What new Environment would you like to see?

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

adamkooo2

Re: What new Environment would you like to see?

Post by adamkooo2 » 12 Jul 2017, 21:48

EmaGervax wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 13:12
Remake of all environments of tm united forever, like:
trackmania 2 island;
trackmania 2 coast;
trackmania 2 bay;
trackmania 2 rally;
trackmania 2 desert;
trackmania 2 snow.
:thumbsup: :pil
I've started TMUF recreation project 2 years and 8 months ago and it's called TrackMania 2 United Forever. It will be done in a few weeks and you will be able to play all the 7 environments. Showcase:

Forum: viewtopic.php?f=538&t=29811&start=260#p287972

You can give a try ManiaDesign's version too
Arkady Smurf.wip

Demented

Post by Demented » 13 Jul 2017, 14:55

@adamkooo2
Will there be a way to load and play maps that we have made in the past?
I ask because I have 500-600 maps that I've made in TMUF that I'd like to race on again someday.
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 16GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit

ManiaDesign

Post by ManiaDesign » 13 Jul 2017, 14:57

Demented wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 14:55
@adamkooo2
Will there be a way to load and play maps that we have made in the past?
I ask because I have 500-600 maps that I've made in TMUF that I'd like to race on again someday.
I'm not adam, but it isn't possible ^^ We are working with items, so the blocks of TMUF couldn't even load, same for the whole envi decoration and I am sure, technically it wouldn't be even possible to try to load TMUF maps in MP (except Stadium)

Demented

Post by Demented » 13 Jul 2017, 16:01

I understand what you are saying and didn't really expect to see anyone take it to that level, however...
I tend to get a little frustrated when people say things are not possible. There is usually a way to do things but it may not be obvious or worth the time.

In a simple breakdown, TM Map files have a data structure. Not sure the exact structure on TM Maps but it's likely something like [Block ID, X location, Y location, Z location, Rotation angle]. If you know how to extract that data you can read it into a multidimensional array and it can be transferred to the Titlepack and reproduced as Items placed at the same VAR(ID,X,Y,Z,A) Coordinates.
You read the map data in a grid pattern and transfer it as items to your map in the same grid pattern.
For example, let's say you have a map with a StartBlock and the StartBlocks ID value is 243 and it's at map location 15,12,18 with a rotation value of 3.
You write script code that places Your-Corresponding-StartBlock-Item (243) at location 15,12,18 with a rotation value of 3. Make sense?

So, Impossible? No.
Too difficult to be worth doing? Maybe.

adamkooo2

Post by adamkooo2 » 14 Jul 2017, 22:58

@Demented

That should be possible by using a hard-coded custom exe application called TMUF track converter to script. If Nadeo would add item position to maniascript there could be an editor plugin what loads these scripts. But firstly I have to have done 100% blocks of all environments with scale 1:1. But I think I will not do that because it is very very very very very very very very very... very hard and I have no knowledge with mostly programming languages (I know just HTML and VB.net).

Anyway good idea :thumbsup:
Maybe someone from community or I myself will try to do that, but in far future.
Arkady Smurf.wip

Demented

Post by Demented » 15 Jul 2017, 14:40

Yea, writing a program or script set to convert old maps to item maps and resave isn't something I would want to do at this time either. It would be a big project but there might be someone out there that would enjoy the challenge and work with you, and Nadeo might even help with some tips or info on accessing the data structure of their map compressions.
After reading my last post again, I hope I didn't come off sounding like a jerk. I didn't intend to. I was just trying to point out that when it comes to software there is almost always a way to accomplish any goal you are after. It's just a matter of puzzle solving and often just takes new perspectives.
I respect the ambition both of you guys have in taking on such big projects and sticking with them. You really should be proud of yourselves. :thumbsup:

ManiaDesign

Post by ManiaDesign » 15 Jul 2017, 22:52

Demented wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 14:40
I respect the ambition both of you guys have in taking on such big projects and sticking with them. You really should be proud of yourselves. :thumbsup:
Thanks mate :)

Thorh62

Post by Thorh62 » 21 Jul 2017, 20:42

Demented wrote:
26 May 2017, 15:12
One idea I don't recall being suggested yet is an old rundown industrial themed environment. kind of a wasteland with rundown warehouses, factories, abandoned airfields, boneyards, dirt pits, dump sites etc... This would be a good environment for an old heavy metal musclecar from the 60's or 70's that could have physics somewhere between the old coast car and the current canyon car. Maybe even a "Mad Max" looking vehicle.
Anyone else for Wasteland?
My money goes 100% behind this idea! It would be gorgeous and totally different from what has been done in the past. A mad max version of a 68 Dodge Charger in Wasteland is what we need :D. The environment could have mostly mud, sand and gravel terrain with abandoned mineshafts and tunnels as well as the things mentioned above! I am hyped :D

The only problem I can see is that it would be difficult to build a well defined path for the track that blends in with the sense of abandonment of the environment.

Demented

Post by Demented » 22 Jul 2017, 14:29

Nice ideas!
Defining a path could be done with things like Chain link and Wooden Fences, Old Barrels, Dumpsters, Concrete Rubble Piles, Fires, Old Culvert Pipes, Abandoned Cars, Shipping Containers, Pallet Stacks, Equipment, Log and Lumber Stacks, K-Rails, Tire Stacks, Etc...

This would also be a good environment to introduce Wet Pavement and Fire effects in.
I also like your ideas of mud, sand and gravel and the ol' Dodge Charger or something like it that can really get into some heavy metal drifting. Kinda like old style Rally Racing.

Return to “Trackmania 2”