Mediatracker: 3D Triangles

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

aXu

Mediatracker: 3D Triangles

Post by aXu » 18 Aug 2011, 20:20

Title actually tells it all :D
3D triangles would work just like their 2D counterparts, but the points would be positioned in game world. Also there should be option to add shininess, much like in car painting.
I already can see what could be accomplished by this very simple addition: I would make a big window out of 2 semi-transparent shiny triangles. When you drive trough that window (trigger behind the window), it would shatter to tens of smaller triangles flying to ground (each animated separately) while appropriate CRASHH CLING BANG SHIRLYSHIRLY sound would play. And this is just a start ^^
My latest TM2 track: FaceBase

krone6

Re: Mediatracker: 3D Triangles

Post by krone6 » 19 Aug 2011, 04:53

What IS the point of 2d and 3d triangles? So you can draw some lines on your screen, i don't see what you can accomplish with this, though i never used it before, didn't know what it did.
http://trackmaniaracers.com
My up and coming trackmania 2 canyon team. Intentions on expanding to all nadeo games eventually.

Feel free to come in and say hi, it's a casual and laid back team. If you have any suggestions feel free to pm me.

aXu

Post by aXu » 19 Aug 2011, 08:55

They're filled triangles. 2D triangles can do all kinds of stuff, I made a cool screen fading thing where the fade came from 2 opposite corners and eventually filled the whole screen. What comes to 3D triangles, did you know just about everything you see in any 3D games are made of 3D triangles. I do see a point in this :D
Oh and if you could control these triangles by scripting language, I could make a game within trackmania :3

krone6

Post by krone6 » 21 Aug 2011, 06:14

Thanks, i didn't know polygons was the same as 3D triangles. I don't do computer science much so a lot of it's new to me. More of a network/hardware person.
http://trackmaniaracers.com
My up and coming trackmania 2 canyon team. Intentions on expanding to all nadeo games eventually.

Feel free to come in and say hi, it's a casual and laid back team. If you have any suggestions feel free to pm me.

Nym

Post by Nym » 21 Aug 2011, 11:46

that definately would be a nice thing to have.

Concerning performance one triangle more or less shouldn't make that much of a difference (and even 300 more neither do)
When someone makes more of 'em, well this would get freaky ;)

Anyway, a :thumbsup: for this!

aXu

Post by aXu » 22 Aug 2011, 08:13

Nym wrote:that definately would be a nice thing to have.

Concerning performance one triangle more or less shouldn't make that much of a difference (and even 300 more neither do)
When someone makes more of 'em, well this would get freaky ;)

Anyway, a :thumbsup: for this!
Well, graphics cards nowadays can spit out some tens of millions of triangles per second, so yeah, it doesn't make difference (even though TM2 probably uses several millions of that :D ). If we could control these with maniascript, it would be awesome. I'd do a helicopter flying in the air :D

Return to “Trackmania 2”