Maniaplanet 4: Speedometer from KMH to MPH

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

mooseman2099

Re: Maniaplanet 4: Speedometer from KMH to MPH

Post by mooseman2099 »

This is interesting. I do understand where this guy was going in the UK we use Miles Per Hour for speed on roads.

30 mph : Our normal every day journey in built up areas (some areas past schools could be less at 20 mph). Your 48 KMH
60 mph : Our national driving limit on single lane roads motorways : Your speed about 96.5 KMH
70 mph : Our Dual carriageway speed limit : Your speed about 112 KMH.
100 mph : Not allowed but still : 160 KMH

What are your speed limits for your roads? Are they slower than ours. Maybe they use this to get your speeds down. We here feel our roads could be faster and there maybe a policy change with new electric cars with all the new tech involved anti crash systems etc..

You guys just like to see bigger numbers with your KMH :roflol:

We like to drive faster and longer on our roads. :roflol: :pil
Miss

Post by Miss »

Let's not make this a "which unit system is better" discussion, and instead keep the thread's focus on the lack of a feature to change this. :thumbsup:
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
MatheusKS

Post by MatheusKS »

Miss wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 16:22 Let's not make this a "which unit system is better" discussion, and instead keep the thread's focus on the lack of a feature to change this. :thumbsup:
Indeed

Anyway, TM1 doesn't show any speed units. The only unit shown is distance (m). TM2 since MP4 began to show speed as km/h.

I wouldn't say it's something easy to implement, because I have no idea how Nadeo made TM and how speed measurement was made. Probably there's no choice for a reason and doing extra math could result in weird behaviour.

I'd totally play using washing machines per second as measurement https://i.redd.it/26z8et6if1g31.jpg
CPU: Ryzen 7 2600; Video: GeForce 1070; RAM: 16GB; also known as The Lil' Electricity Bill Booster. In-game as <MATKS95>
Electron

Post by Electron »

Nadeo should display the unit of measurement which is set in the current user locale of Windows.

Querying the measurement system used is somewhat unusual and is described here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/global ... easurement

In the TrackMania Telemetry Monitor sample application I have implemented this in the following way:

Determine system of measurement
Update the system of measurement after changing locale settings
Display the speed in the corresponding unit of measurement

As you can see, it's very easy to implement.
TM²: TrackMania Telemetry Monitor version 1.2.4

Return to “Trackmania 2”