TM2 MP4 Stadium wallride and looping transparency moire

Moderators: w1lla, NADEO

dePaljas

TM2 MP4 Stadium wallride and looping transparency moire

Post by dePaljas »

Hi,

With MP4, the transparency of the wallrides and loopings in Stadium have changed. It now creates a moire effect that is making my eyes bleed:

And that's just a static image. In-game when moving around, the moire pattern starts to wave around psychadelically. I've been playing around with the filtering and antialiasing settings, but to no avail. Any solid workaround, or perhaps this can be addressed in an upcoming release?
[Mobo: FOXCONN A7DA-S/A7DA] [CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE] [Memory: 4GB] [Video: MSI 660 Ti]
virus464

Re: TM2 MP4 Stadium wallride and looping transparency moire

Post by virus464 »

i defenetly feel you bro.
bump
ludwigx

Post by ludwigx »

I have a moire pattern as well, but your's is much worse.

I tried to use downsampling to reduce it. However this leads to very heavy stuttering
dePaljas

Post by dePaljas »

I do not experience any stuttering, I'm afraid that may just be a matter of hardware performance limitations.

I hear many people complain about the wallrides and loopings, makes it hard to see what's what in a lot of tracks.
[Mobo: FOXCONN A7DA-S/A7DA] [CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE] [Memory: 4GB] [Video: MSI 660 Ti]
dePaljas

Post by dePaljas »

OK, second try. I've tried all settings of TM2 I could think of but to no avail. I see other people have the same issue, and some don't:

[FAIL] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHbUe9Lk_TI
[OK] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_lyWLIG6aQ

Any suggestions? I'm using a 660 Ti on W10.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Reset the Maniaplanet video settings (delete the file Config}Defaut.SystemConfig.Gbx and if you're using another config file, delete that, too),
and reset the video driver settings.

Where possible set the video driver to use the applications settings, otherwise check that there is no conflicting setting.

Moiré pattern are typically a sign of antialiasing, of texture filter, or of texture mimap issues.
dePaljas

Post by dePaljas »

Thanks for the feedback TMarc!

I tried:
  • Deleting: Default.SystemConfig.Gbx and the other config I had.
  • I went one step further and (backed up and) deleted my entire Maniaplanet folder from My Documents.
  • Install NVidia's latest driver.
  • Opened NVidia Control Panel, and set everything to default I could find, but mainly Manage 3D settings > Pressed Restore on the Global Settings tab, and checked the Program settings for maniaplanet specific entry, which was not there.
None of these helped. The in-game antialias settings change the behavior somewhat (like I said, I tried all combos I could think of, but the moire remains.

I do agree though, it looks much like an antialias thing; I would expect this effect if antialiasing is not working at all; it would just pick one sample per pixel. I notice also no very strong differences when varying the filtering options.

Perhaps it's a depth thing? Can it be that there should be different textures used for different depths/distances, but in my case it keeps using the one for small distance? [update] I tried messing with the LOD setting in NVidia CP, and when set to clamp, the issue is less. Except when looking through a wallride onto another one, you get again the moire pattern. I suspect clamping the LOD only masks the problem, and even partially so. And still something not going right with antialiasing or filtering.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Yeah it can have many issues.
Just by curiosity, are you using the same resolution in the game as your screen has physically?
Are you playing in window mode, window full or real fullscreen?
Do you use DSR?
dePaljas

Post by dePaljas »

Hi TMarc,

My desktop is running 1920 x 1080, which is the native resolution of my screen. NVidia CP confirms this in the listbox by mentioning "(native)" behind the selected resolution.
TM2 is configured FullScreen, in that same resolution 1920 x 1080.
Both above are confirmed by the display's OSD > Info screen.
I am not using DSR, consciously that is; I don't know where that is set.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Ok.

In the Maniaplanet configuration, do not use any filter setting and no antialiasing.
In the video driver set the viewing distance to far, mipmap to high quality.
There is a setting speed vs. quality you could toggle as well.

Ah, also set high definition in the Maniaplanet launcher to use HD textures. Perhaps uncheck if it is already set, let the game download the lowres textures and see how that looks like.

Return to “Trackmania² Reports”