Skidmarks staying on the track

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

TMarc

Re: Skidmarks staying on the track

Post by TMarc »

Great suggestion, demented :thumbsup:
It owuld be similar to the ghost/opponent key where whe have half transparent, off, on :)
Demented

Post by Demented »

Thanks TMarc.
It might depend on how the skidmarks are handled by the software though. There are two ways (that I know of) to handle these in the programming.

1) The skid textures are created as needed and overlaid on the track as a separate texture (like sprite objects or something). This takes extra memory but they could then be faded over time and once fully transparent, removed from memory. The drawback is it could use more memory and processing resources. (my guess is this was the old method minus the fade)

2) The skid textures are blended directly onto the track block textures held in memory and thus take up no extra memory and no real extra load on processing to keep track of them, but they only disappear when the original texture is reloaded into ram (likely by reloading the track)

The second method, or something similar, may be how it's done now and the skid textures look better (more natural) and even lay down better this way. The problem with fading the skids in this method is that you'd probably have to blend a copy of the original texture with a semitransparent value over what you have in ram at regular intervals, and then you are back to using more system resources.

Heck, for all I know they might be using some other new method I've never even heard or thought of. it would be interesting to know.
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit
Rexine

Post by Rexine »

Any news on this?

Return to “Trackmania 2”