New to TM2 Canyon teach me how to slide.

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

producer

New to TM2 Canyon teach me how to slide.

Post by producer »

Manufacturers of flush toilets are improving their products in compliance with the Energy Policy Act of 1992's toilet laws, which require less water usage. Some of the approaches adopted by manufacturers are creating pressurized toilets, adding steeper sides and an auxiliary pump and using pressurized air to help in the flushing motion. The new designs are efficient enhancements of traditional gravity-asssisted toilets.

The common toilet that chugs 3.5 gallons or more with every flush is about to become a relic of our nation's water-wasting past. Since January 1, it has been illegal in the United States to manufacture the old-style toilets found in almost every home in the nation. Manufacturers can now make only low-consumption residential toilets that use no more than 1.6 gallons per flush. And starting in 1997, new toilets for use in business and industry must also be low-flow models. These requirements are just one part of the Energy Policy Act of 1992, a wide-ranging law intended to promote resource efficiency. Proponents say the law's toilet provisions will reduce not only the amount of water pumped into new homes but also the wastewater that will need to be treated. A family of four using low-flow toilets, for example, will save a whopping 11,000 gallons of water each year.

Toilets have remained pretty much the same since Thomas Crapper, a British engineer, invented them in 1872. The typical design--known in industry circles as the gravity-assisted model relies on water from a storage tank to run through the toilet bowl and out a hole in the bottom, creating a siphon that pulls waste along with it out the bowl.

Built for Speed

"To make toilets more efficient, most people think you just have to cut back the amount of water in the bowl," says Peter DeMarco, an engineer at American Standard in Piscataway, N.J., one of the nation's largest manufacturers of toilets and other plumbing fixtures. But when less water is used, the flush loses some of its muscle, and stains frequently remain in the bowl. That explains why Americans tend to spurn European low-flow toilets, which have been around for years, he says, but which don't meet the white-glove standard. So U.S. manufacturers have given the gravity-assisted toilet a makeover. To help water flow faster, the bowl has steeper sides and contains less water so that the 1.6 gallons flushing down from the tank will have less to push against and will therefore flow faster.

Manufacturers have also crafted pressurized toilets that add extra oomph to the water flowing through the bowl. For example, Kohler Co. of Kohler, Wis., recently unveiled its Trocadero toilet, which incorporates a 0.2-horsepower water pump in the tank. "It is simply plugged into an outlet in the same way a **** garbage disposal is plugged in at the time of installation," says a company spokesperson. Because the pump runs for only a couple of seconds during each flush, it would cost a family of four about $1 a year in electricity, estimates John Brown, a senior market analyst at Kohler. By comparison, if the 1.5-gallon toilet were to replace a 3.5-gallon unit, he says, it would save the same family more than 11,000 gallons of water, or about $30, per year. American Standard's version of the pressure-assisted toilet uses compressed air, stored in a vessel in the water tank, to help whoosh the flushing water on its way. As water fills the water tank, it compresses the air. When a button on the tank is pushed, the air is released, pushing water and waste through the bottom of the bowl and into the sewer line-.

Such models would not only save water but also help water-treatment plants, which generally work more efficiently with the more concentrated waste that low-flow toilets would provide, says Sharpe. It's for just such reasons that state and local governments in Massachusetts, New York City, and Los Angeles started mandating low-flow toilets long before the federal government got into the act. Those initiatives--along with the fact that water isn't scarce everywhere--have led critics of the new federal standards to complain that Washington is butting in where it doesn't belong.

"We have plenty of water in certain areas," Ronald Marlenee, then a Republican congressman from Montana, complained to the House of Representatives when the water-conservation provisions were debated in 1992. Water-conservation rules should be left to local governments, he said. "I cannot believe that in all seriousness we are on the floor of this House establishing toilet police for the United States of America."

But in the long run, federal standards may be the only way to goad manufacturers into large-scale manufacturing of water-efficient toilets. Without national standards, "we will create a situation where each locality will establish its own standards for energy consumption and water consumption," says Chester Atkins, the former Democratic congressman from Massachusetts who led the fight for water-efficient plumbing. "That will make it impossible to have a national marketplace."
Last edited by producer on 12 May 2018, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Miss

Re: New to TM2 Canyon teach me how to slide.

Post by Miss »

How fast are you going when you drift? You only really lose control over drifts if you're going very very fast. (on "fullspeed" maps, I guess)
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

A good training map is in the campaign already: A01.
There is a series of two curves right, left, and a relatively short s curve where you need to choose well your trajectory.
This trains you to control your drift with gentle steering commands, and also to exit the drift properly.

When you're good with A01 you can train your skills on other maps, and later also in other titles.
Demented

Post by Demented »

Be sure to only Tap the Brakes & if you are using a game pad you can probably tap the brake while still keeping the throttle pressed and initiate a drift that way loosing less speed. I think Canyon car is one of the easiest to control drift with and without loosing speed. Valley car will drift a bit, but looses speed quickly and Lagoon car actually drifts well but also at the cost of speed and of course Stadium car wasn't really meant to drift.
Main thing to remember is HAVE FUN! :pil
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit

Return to “Trackmania 2”