another topic about the tm2 unlimiter / maintaining it and locating the source code

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

dreadofmondays

another topic about the tm2 unlimiter / maintaining it and locating the source code

Post by dreadofmondays »

tm2 unlimiter is currently not compatible with versions of the game due to continual changes in the core code that i hope are not deliberately done for this purpose.

i am looking to use the unlimiter again. so i am perfectly happy to also maintain it and do the work myself. i completely understand how _arc would be tired of it. However i am finding this extremely difficult to actually get the tool into a maintainable state.

firstly the source code for the tool is impossible to track down assuming it was released at all.
The source code for the tmx unlimiter is written in C++, so it is reasonable to assume tm2 unlimiter was also written in c++.
c++ is very difficult to decompile into a meaningful assembly. so even if i had access to a decompiler (the best c++ decompiler apparently cannot be purchased online, only through mail???) it is likely to produce nonsense and i cannot make a new tool with that.
the tool has an intentional block that checks the version of the game and refuses to open itself if the version is wrong. I find this quite annoying and overzealous. a version number does not by itself indicate compatibility.

Here are the things that occurred in tm2unlimiter's life:
1. the tool was made.
2. support was eventually removed.
3. the hosting website is long gone so it is now impossible to download any version of the tool.
4. the source code, if it was ever released, no longer exists, so it is impossible for others to maintain the tool even if they wanted to.
5. the source code is written in a language that makes it almost impossible to recover and repair.
6. based on my searching, _arc himself has removed every trace of his existence and account from maniaplanet and the internet in general. (running searches maniaplanet itself couldn't locate an account with that name.) aka it is now impossible to even contact the tool's author to ask questions.

As i said, i completely understand that _arc would be tired of maintaining his tool and answering questions. However if i was a supervillain and i wanted to deliberately frustrate people, these are the actions that i would take.

_arc, i want to maintain your tool and make it work again. please allow me to do so :|

if any of yall know about arc's whereabouts or ways we can reflect the tool and see how it operates and potentially fix it, please let me know.

edit:
to be clear, my goal is to expand the map size in all the environments (tm2unlimiter did this). if you know of another method to do this, please shout out.
Xymph

Re: another topic about the tm2 unlimiter / maintaining it and locating the source code

Post by Xymph »

dreadofmondays wrote: 16 May 2018, 13:18 3. the hosting website is long gone so it is now impossible to download any version of the tool.
Try searching https://archive.org/web/ and https://archive.is/ for the original URLs, some stuff might be archived.
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub
Miss

Re: another topic about the tm2 unlimiter / maintaining it and locating the source code

Post by Miss »

Found this recently: https://github.com/osvein/TM2Unlimiter/

Also, considering the nature of the structure of TM2U, it will be incompatible with every update.

However, I'm working on Openplanet which is a lot more updated with MP4 than TM2U is (and also does expanded environment sizes), so if you want to help out maintining that, let me know.. been looking for another programmer :D Join Discord and send me an @, will send you a build!

By the way, I also tried reaching out to arc before I decided to move on and make Openplanet. Wish he was still around!
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
dreadofmondays

Post by dreadofmondays »

Ah, wow! that github repo is a great find. I wasn't able to find it myself. Thanks a lot!
Openplanet looks really exciting. I'm down to check it out. my @ on discord is @minty#2773. Happy to assist if I'm able, depending on how easily i can fit it in with work. It looks really good so far :)
Frankthetankmp

Post by Frankthetankmp »

Is there a way to download an older version of trackmania 2 canyon to try the unlimiter? ( and that without destroying the whole acc)? :P
Would be interesting to try a bit stuff :P
dreadofmondays

Post by dreadofmondays »

I don't know if that's possible. You'd need to be able to select a specific version of TM.
------- however ------
From what i have seen so far Openplanet supersedes Tm2 Unlimiter in every way and does exactly what we're looking for. So I'd say look forward to the release of that.
Last edited by dreadofmondays on 13 Jun 2021, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
Frankthetankmp

Post by Frankthetankmp »

And then it released the same evening yet :P

Return to “Trackmania 2”