New feature: Show pressed keys in specator mode

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

kale-

New feature: Show pressed keys in specator mode

Post by kale- »

Hi,

I think the ability to see what keys are pressed would be great help for anyone wanting to improve, especially the new players. Something like arrow keys and some red light bulb for brake, positioned bottom middle of the screen or so.

This way any more experienced player could effortlessly help a beginner by saying " hi, spectate me by pressing tab and right click my name and hit button x to see how I drive".

This has worked greatly in fps games ( such as quake and warsow ) to help beginners to learn the basics of strafejumping.

Edit: This is how it looks in Warsow http://imageshack.us/f/84/warsowspk.jpg/ - there I'm pressing forward, strafe right and crouch " highlighted buttons"
Last edited by kale- on 16 Sep 2011, 23:17, edited 2 times in total.
Sidrat

Re: New feature: Show pressed keys in specator mode

Post by Sidrat »

That's a great idea as some of the control the great players have seems impossible to pull off.
crazy_horse

Post by crazy_horse »

Sometimes I barely get the other car positions, they only update like once every 1/2 second, so maybe as an option for people with more bandwidth
Do not feed the trolls or they will poo on you
JeffyDMan

Post by JeffyDMan »

While I agree that such an ability might be useful if the game were only played with the keyboard, many players (myself among them) use a controller. There isn't really any way to indicate how much you are turning a wheel or moving a thumbstick that can give meaningful information.
G2Wolf

Post by G2Wolf »

JeffyDMan wrote:While I agree that such an ability might be useful if the game were only played with the keyboard, many players (myself among them) use a controller. There isn't really any way to indicate how much you are turning a wheel or moving a thumbstick that can give meaningful information.
Wouldn't be too hard to show it. Only need 2 circles (1 green, 1 red) for gas and brake, and a bar with a line in the middle that adjusts left/right according to how much they are turning.
TM2ISCRAP

Post by TM2ISCRAP »

I think that you would probably be better 'speccing' the faster players like in TM1. The 'drive line' is very important because it doesn't matter which key you press, if you're in the wrong position, it won't be beneficial. Watch the way they position themselves for each part of the track as sometimes the shortest distance between 2 points could slow you down or even make you crash if you are not in the right position to take the next obsticle.
As you come out of one piece of track (bend/ramp/jump etc) you must position yourself to take on the next obsticle so as to create a flow of movement rather than a mish-mash of movements that lose you time. A fraction of a second saved on each bend, jump, corner soon adds up to a faster time.... Hope this helps :)
kale-

Post by kale- »

JeffyDMan wrote:While I agree that such an ability might be useful if the game were only played with the keyboard, many players (myself among them) use a controller. There isn't really any way to indicate how much you are turning a wheel or moving a thumbstick that can give meaningful information.
Hi,

You could have option for analog view mode that would be maybe something like:

Slightly bended bar with line in middle, green stick or dot indicating how much turning is happening. In non-analog view mode it could be "emulated" with frequency of flickering, just like non-analog input users emulate smaller turning by tapping the turn button.

I think this is a minor issue, and it would still do its job to give newer players better general sense on how to drive certain corners at different speeds, how to drive a loop without starting to drift, how to tilt car in some jumps or how not to tilt. A bit more detailed way to learn from spectating others.
JeffyDMan

Post by JeffyDMan »

G2Wolf wrote:
Wouldn't be too hard to show it. Only need 2 circles (1 green, 1 red) for gas and brake, and a bar with a line in the middle that adjusts left/right according to how much they are turning.
So, how would seeing this benefit a keyboarder? For example, here is what you might see for someone negotiating a turn (over the course of, say, 2 seconds?)

Code: Select all

......|......
........|....
...........|.
...........|.
............|
..........|..
............|
.......|.....
.....|.......
.........|...
......|......
I have to agree with TM above... getting the line is far more vital than knowing when to hit the A key. I've managed to pull down some pretty good times in Solo by tracking the ghosts of people who post insanely good times, and learning how they make the flow of the track work for them - even managed to beat a few.
kale-

Post by kale- »

TM2ISCRAP wrote:I think that you would probably be better 'speccing' the faster players like in TM1. The 'drive line' is very important because it doesn't matter which key you press, if you're in the wrong position, it won't be beneficial. Watch the way they position themselves for each part of the track as sometimes the shortest distance between 2 points could slow you down or even make you crash if you are not in the right position to take the next obsticle.
As you come out of one piece of track (bend/ramp/jump etc) you must position yourself to take on the next obsticle so as to create a flow of movement rather than a mish-mash of movements that lose you time. A fraction of a second saved on each bend, jump, corner soon adds up to a faster time.... Hope this helps :)
Hi,

Ofcourse this is important, what I am suggesting here is giving further detail, that would become somewhat progressively important as the players get better. And obviously its best for anyone to watch the fastest players to get the idea of "most correct" lines to drive. However those lines are useless if you are so much slower to have the need to use them. This feature would allow players to copy techniques to have the need for copying those crisp driving lines.

For fullspeeders, this is obviously less important feature.
kale-

Post by kale- »

JeffyDMan wrote:
I have to agree with TM above... getting the line is far more vital than knowing when to hit the A key. I've managed to pull down some pretty good times in Solo by tracking the ghosts of people who post insanely good times, and learning how they make the flow of the track work for them - even managed to beat a few.
This is not question which is more important, or selection which feature should be available. This is addition. Something that you would turn on if you wish. Before posting this whole thing, I asked on servers if this would hurt competitive players and response was that it would not, so I don't see any drawbacks.

Return to “Trackmania 2”