Second pic bumper damage discussion

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

Knutselmaaster

Re: Second pic bumper damage discussion

Post by Knutselmaaster »

I updated the pic in the first post...
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Perhaps a good way to start implementing damage in Trackmania is to start with damage due to the course and not other players.
This may keep online play fair and add the collision dimension to the game. Added realism however is not all that it is cracked up to be. Too much and all the setup for the car becomes tedious. It can suck the life out of the game.
I firmly believe that most Trackmania enthusiasts would rather to continue to have the ability to mess with the graphical and sound options than tire pressure, camber, gear ratios etc...OH!...and fix cars.
Knutselmaaster

Post by Knutselmaaster »

TheDoctor wrote:Perhaps a good way to start implementing damage in Trackmania is to start with damage due to the course and not other players.
It seems like that is exactly how it is going to be.
Trackmaniack

Post by Trackmaniack »

Here's what I don't understand, and people can answer and speculate as they deem fit: Why do people say that adding collisions would ruin Trackmania? Collisions or no, it is only a small part of a -much- bigger game.

To me, the main features of Trackmania wouldn't change significantly, even -if- collisions were to be implemented, because I have faith that Nadeo would make the game playable either way--if collisions with other cars were implemented, then Nadeo would make the tracks wider, and implement the ability to kick/ban griefers (those who wreck racers for fun). Or, set aside servers simply for that purpose.

However, if collisions are only with the environment, then it shouldn't change anything whatsoever, because if you're slamming into the track enough to cause -that- level of damage to your car seen in the pic, then you won't have to worry about damage affecting your time that much anyhow. (like me :mrgreen: ) However, as seems to be the likely case, the damage will be cosmetic, then again, there's nothing to worry about, because the tracks simply aren't long enough to end up radically changing the game.

So, again, comment or speculate as you feel fit, but the tl;dr version is collisions wouldn't ruin TM, it just isn't in the design.
WIP
Knutselmaaster

Post by Knutselmaaster »

The main aspect of TM is racing with a lot of other players (up till over 100!) on the same track, at the same time.
How on earth could this be possible if the cars collide?
Trackmaniack

Post by Trackmaniack »

Super-wide tracks? You could potentially do that by combining several features discussed previously... fixed-geometry pieces, as in having the block limits be -around- the block, rather than a square bordering the block, and then with sequential checkpoint numbering, so you could have multiple (multi-position) start blocks.
WIP
Knutselmaaster

Post by Knutselmaaster »

Have you seen how much time you loose if you take a corner too wide?
Everyone will want to be on the ideal line, of the fastest route.
Even, how wide must a road be then? 60 cars wide?
Trackmaniack

Post by Trackmaniack »

Hahahaha....okay, you made your point, Knuts...just my idea.
WIP
shaun23153

Post by shaun23153 »

If collisions were in Trackmania 2,I would think that Nadeo would make it an option when setting up a server/making a track, like on TMUF where you have time attack servers and laps servers, you could have, servers that enable or disable collisions.

I know what you are getting at with the fact it would be annoying/impossible to race if there are loads of racers on one track with collisions turned on, but you would be able to set a limit on the number of people who are on the server like you can already in TMUF.

That would be the best way about it, but it has been said that Nadeo DON'T intend to have collisions in TM2 any way :mrgreen:
xis101

Post by xis101 »

forget the collisions. That would ruin the spirit of Trackmania. It wouldn´t be unique and just usual like all the other racing games.

Return to “Trackmania 2”