Make hits feel satisfying

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

Kowalski

Make hits feel satisfying

Post by Kowalski »

The only thing that seems to differentiate a miss from a hit is the '+1' on screen.

Hits just dont feel very satisfying....
Rasmus9311

Re: Make hits feel satisfying

Post by Rasmus9311 »

Do you have any suggestions on how to make them more satisfying?
The particle explosions that sometimes happen is quite satisfying imo but i agree +1 isn't really that satisfying, not sure how to change it to something more pleasing thought, it just seems hard to make the popup text more satisfying. :D
oiram456

Post by oiram456 »

Im okay with the +1 :D it always makes me happy when it pops up :P

oh and do u have sound on? there is a hit-sound and a kill-sound
Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 | Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz | 4,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24) | ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V (LGA1155) | 1920x1080@60Hz|2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

oiram456 wrote:Im okay with the +1 :D it always makes me happy when it pops up :P

oh and do u have sound on? there is a hit-sound and a kill-sound
They hit sound doesn't seem very prominent though - maybe needs adjusting louder and a different effect that carries more weight.
Shade0fGrayl

Post by Shade0fGrayl »

I'd prefer this kind of approach to remain. I think it's a style-enforcing (and one fitting well to the graphical presentation used in the game) a positive move that the satisfaction is from confirming a hit, or getting/defending the objective - not in seeing the opponents react to hits from projectiles, like typical fps games with shooting.

The way SM presents it's shooting is more like a sport (if you think of Fencing, (a real-world sport), swords are used, and there are lunging offensive motions, but a full suit and mask of protective clothing is used to ensure there's no harm to participants- It's probably very intense to take part in, all the same!)
kalstrams

Post by kalstrams »

It would be funny, though, to hear 'Meow' every time you hit someone :clap:
Kitsunin

Post by Kitsunin »

kalstrams wrote:It would be funny, though, to hear 'Meow' every time you hit someone :clap:
There should totally be sound 'skins' :3

You could even on some servers let every player choose a sound that plays when they get hit.

On topic: I don't see how you don't think the hits feels satisfying, that +1 and sound effect is all I could really expect as the one making the hit. I've not really played an FPS where you get more than a sound and maybe a crosshair flare to indicate a hit, maybe maybe some words for a kill. There's a good knockback and you can feel a hit more than in most other FPS besides Tribes.
kalstrams

Post by kalstrams »

For the hit feelings - personally I, for example, will be happy, to see an option, that allows you to remove +1 from the screen.
metoxys
Translator
Translator

Post by metoxys »

In Team Fortress 2, I have a sound mod where "HAAAAX!" is shouted when I hit someone with a crit (includes headshots). Such things are horrendously satisfying, especially when playing as a Soldier or an Axtinguisher Pyro
Lim3s

Post by Lim3s »

The sound of a rocket being fired is more satisfying than someone being hit by one. Something seems amiss.

Return to “Shootmania”