HDD: WD Green + WD Black
SSD: Crucial M4 64Go
Sound: Realtek (onboard)
Peripherals: Mouse G700 - Keyboard G19 - Headset Roccat Kave
haenry
Halloween Mapper 2011

Re: Embedding items Limit only 150kb

Post by haenry »

With embedded items you actually can play the map by just having the mapfile. ;)
A nice person is a better person!
Did you participate in a Monthly Track Contest yet?
My Maniaplanet maps!
TGYoshi

Post by TGYoshi »

novationx wrote:ON TOPIC:
Its funny... I think I have changed my mind 3x already with this 150kb limit. Im reading plenty of good arguments.
What would be the desired limit? Maybe we should wrap up this thread and find an acceptable limit?

"No Limit" sounds fun, but im not interested in downloading a GB just because of a troll map.
What about 300kb or 500kb? Ive tried to get 150kb on my own map and its already a lot. So doubling it to 300kb or 500kb would be super!

Also @NADEO: Its not because you would make it 500kb, that ALL maps with embedded items would suddenly use up that 500kb. I think it would be véry rare to play on a map using 500kb of items.
Note how there's a 2 MB limit for any online playable map already in place. Forcing online maps to stay within a reasonable border (although I'd still raise the limit, it's still not a large file...) isn't bad. Then offline maps (mainly applies to TM) still have all freedom, which is generally great for the handful of maps wanting to do something unique ;). The 150 kb limit for objects themselves is useless and all it does it force quality of objects down (especially rounded objects), however, I'd understand an online-playable limit for the file in general (currently 2 MB).
haenry wrote:With embedded items you actually can play the map by just having the mapfile. ;)
Without knowing all the magical tech behind it! "You need a titlepack because this map has some objects, do adhsgfwdfhgsdgfhgsdgfsdgakgfdsgjfas<insert complex instructions for installing titlepacks here>dgfgdhcbnzxbcb\,mn,nz\cnbwhgfwehauhxshcbasbcsdaf and you can play it. - oh wait you have no slots, just pay 5000 planets as well and do it all over again, then you can play this single map." isn't as convincing as "Just doubleclick the map and it'll start!"
=3
TitiShu

Post by TitiShu »

I know that It's a bit off topic... but i know that mappers who use embedded items will read this....

To all who have downloaded my Stairs Block... i made an update :
- Made a new collision box (shape.gbx)
- Found a way to replace the metal physics by Rock/Stone
- And the items are lighter
http://www.maniapark.com/ressource.php?id=2217

If i'm right there is no need to re-pay for it as it's the same pack.gbx but updated
CPU: i5 2500k
RAM: 2x4Go G.Skill Ares
GPU: MSI GTX570
Board: Asus P8Z68-V LX
HDD: WD Green + WD Black
SSD: Crucial M4 64Go
Sound: Realtek (onboard)
Peripherals: Mouse G700 - Keyboard G19 - Headset Roccat Kave
Cerovan

Post by Cerovan »

TGYoshi wrote:If he arrives on a sci-fi map, it's due to an environment mod (which is also allowed in main titles, better disallow mods!). Not due to objects, they're restricted to title textures anyway (which is understandable, textures DO eat space).
I was talking about scifi/tech-look blocks of course, not about mods themselves.
TGYoshi wrote:New mappers aren't going to be like "WOW THIS BLOCK IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND GAME SUCKS"; instead they're typically like "HOW DID HE CREATE THAT?" and finds out there's a whole collection of embedable objects to make maps even more awesome.
You really think that? The first reaction will be "WOW THIS BLOCK IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND GAME SUCKS" (or "is bugged!"), if they have a little more patience, they will maybe search how to find/create it but you can bet that at least 75% of new mappers (i mean the "casual" mapper, not an experienced one from another game) will not try to find how to do it in the first place.
Online Programmer & Meme Master ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ

Access to your Player Page

You have troubles, please contact the Ubisoft Support

Maniaplanet Documentation (Editors, Scripting, Title Pack, etc...)
TGYoshi

Post by TGYoshi »

Cerovan wrote:You really think that? The first reaction will be "WOW THIS BLOCK IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND GAME SUCKS" (or "is bugged!"), if they have a little more patience, they will maybe search how to find/create it but you can bet that at least 75% of new mappers (i mean the "casual" mapper, not an experienced one from another game) will not try to find how to do it in the first place.
That 75% generally copes with the existing blocks. If they care, they'll find out how they do it through some or another way. If they don't, they'll typically cope with it and likely figure it out if they get more experienced. Most maps will likely not contain any embedded blocks at all anyway.

Either way, completely transforming maps with low quality objects is very possible. A higher limit mainly opens doors to higher quality and smoother objects (and indirectly a higher count of lower quality ones, but quantity (or size) doesn't determine how objects change the game).
It's not directly related to how transforming a map with objects can be, since we're already able to do that anyway. Which is cool, in my opinion.
=3

Return to “Map Editor”