Removing all occurrences of an Item from map

Talk about the track editor here

Moderator: English Moderator

Demented

Removing all occurrences of an Item from map

Post by Demented »

I'd like to suggest adding an option to remove all instances of a specified item from a map (if there isn't already a way).
Currently you can remove items from a map one at a time or, remove all items with backspace, but not all occurrences of an item.

If you choose to delete an item from your items folder you get a message that if you continue, all instances of that item will be removed from the map first. So, it's kind of already programmed into the editor and I think it would be a nice option to be able to remove all instances of an item without deleting the item.
Why would you need to?
There are times when one might have placed too many items for the track to be saved with items embedded. If you could choose to remove all instances of an item you might be able to free up enough memory to embed and save the map. (And it's not always easy to find all the occurrences of an item).
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit
angry_duck
Nadeo
Nadeo

Re: Removing all occurrences of an Item from map

Post by angry_duck »

Hi

As you said, when you click on the cross at the top-right corner of the item icon, a dialog box may appear with the message "This item is used in this map. All its occurences will be removed from the map first. Continue?".

But if you click on the confirmation button ("Remove occurences"), it will remove all the occurences of the item, but not the .Item.Gbx file yet: a second dialog box will appear with the message "Do you really want to permanently delete this item?". Then if you click on "Cancel", the file won't be deleted, but it will no longer have any occurences in the map... just as you wanted :)

Note that if you click on the cross and the item has no occurence in the map, only the second message ("Do you really want to permanently delete this item?") will appear. So don't be scared to click on the cross: it will never delete your .Item.Gbx file without a confirmation message.

So the feature you ask already exists, but it is not very user-friendly because of the fear to lose the item file in the process. :?
angry_duck
Miss

Post by Miss »

Woah, I never knew that. Thanks for the tip.
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
Demented

Post by Demented »

Yea, Thanks Angry Duck. That's helpful and I appreciate your feedback.
I actually tried just that yesterday (before reading this) on a backup copy of a map and discovered that it works that way and was planning to post my findings here. :) It does work just fine that way.

I don't suppose there is a way to see how close we are to the embedded byte count limit yet is there?
angry_duck
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by angry_duck »

Demented wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 15:19 I don't suppose there is a way to see how close we are to the embedded byte count limit yet is there?
You're right there's currently no way to know that before it is too late. :(
Thanks for the feedback.
angry_duck
wraith

Post by wraith »

i second the idea of a byte counter, its something i been wishing for over the years of building, Demented is like me tm is a great place to build things but with custom items it can be even better to look at sadly we limited to how many we can add and thats a problem when we have no idea when the limit is getting too much. here is a couple of image what a counter could look like, to be honest i like the simple number idea going up to the max number.

Color Bar idea

Simple Number Counter
Demented

Post by Demented »

I like the idea of a simple & small number counter in a corner or even on the menu bar at the bottom. Could even be plugin you choose to have on or off.
IE:
Item Byte Limit: x.xx used ↔ x.xx remain.
Cool image BTW. Is that a new building? Reminds me of a Railway Station.
wraith

Post by wraith »

its a mod buddy wip but can not fix the problems, but not given up on it just yet

Return to “Track Editor”