Revival of Shootmania

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

Would you be interested in a Revival of Shootmania?

Yes, but keep everything like it is!
6%
Yes, but with the changes listed in this thread!
48%
Yes, but with different changes!
12%
Yes, but take only the concept of the game and the good mechanics and put them in a new game!
24%
No, Shootmania is dead and has no potential on surviving even with a makeover!
9%

Total votes: 33

Florenzius
Translator
Translator

Re: Revival of Shootmania

Post by Florenzius »

hackie wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 13:39 Always nice words Hylis but what about a teaser ( small movie or so ) from time to time ?
A picture tels so much more then words ^^
+1
Creative Director at UNBITN - 3D Modeler for Pursuit - ManiaPlanet Translator and Beta tester - Freelancer for Ubisoft Nadeo
___
MB - B550 AORUS ELITE
RAM - 32GB
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
GPU - Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070Ti
Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Hylis »

The marketing plan will be in the expert hands of other people at Ubisoft. And we are far from being ready to tease anything. It's really long to make big steps.

We will do some updates on the Maniaplanet system soon, and we should probably focus more on that with the players around to try to make the time seems shorter.
djhubertus
Translator
Translator

Post by djhubertus »

I agree with Miss and plopp. Right now Nadeo can do experiments before they try to build a new Shootmania. From my perspective this game doesn't deserve Maniaplanet and creativity. Map making/fragmovie making? Sure but the rest wasn't needed at all. I bought SM in 2012 just because it was advertised as an e-sport title and I guess most other players did the same thing. After launch aka v1.0 everything has changed, there were no tournaments, and updates were focused on modders instead of players, turning 180 degree angle into different direction.

In my personal opinion, Shootmania as a concept for new game should go towards TM:Turbo, giving You less, but better.
Moving forward with time, introducing rewards, cosmetics to unlock, challenges, progression, competitive matchmaking with skill rating, community servers, better, more dynamic modes and probably f2p model.

Elite wasn't that successful in e-sport because the game was getting boring, There was no depth, just raw aim skill to 1hit 3 defenders or be lucky on a pole. It was fun to play, but not to watch. Still remember a big debate on this forum with people asking for combo or even siege to get more attention :>

It's 2018 and every Arena shooter on the market is dying, even Quake Champions as a hero-afps hybrid is having trouble. The game had a great simplistic core and foundation, but now it needs much more depth to attract new blood.
My Gamemodes:
MP4 - Countdown, Firefight
MP3 - Reduction, Overload, Flashpoint, Territory, SM Race, Escape
MP2 - Search & Destroy, Oscillation, Instagib
Krackle

Post by Krackle »

djhubertus wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 17:04 I agree with Miss and plopp. Right now Nadeo can do experiments before they try to build a new Shootmania. From my perspective this game doesn't deserve Maniaplanet and creativity. Map making/fragmovie making? Sure but the rest wasn't needed at all. I bought SM in 2012 just because it was advertised as an e-sport title and I guess most other players did the same thing. After launch aka v1.0 everything has changed, there were no tournaments, and updates were focused on modders instead of players, turning 180 degree angle into different direction.

In my personal opinion, Shootmania as a concept for new game should go towards TM:Turbo, giving You less, but better.
Moving forward with time, introducing rewards, cosmetics to unlock, challenges, progression, competitive matchmaking with skill rating, community servers, better, more dynamic modes and probably f2p model.

Elite wasn't that successful in e-sport because the game was getting boring, There was no depth, just raw aim skill to 1hit 3 defenders or be lucky on a pole. It was fun to play, but not to watch. Still remember a big debate on this forum with people asking for combo or even siege to get more attention :>

It's 2018 and every Arena shooter on the market is dying, even Quake Champions as a hero-afps hybrid is having trouble. The game had a great simplistic core and foundation, but now it needs much more depth to attract new blood.
:1010 I agree with everything here. I haven't played Turbo so I'm not sure about that but it sounds like the correct direction.

If I could add to this, I have some suggestions. As someone who really loves the game, I have over 1000 hours logged on my steam account and have played since beta. I am also an NA player so its been rough since our servers our normally empty, and few NA servers at all at this point. Besides that here are my suggestions.

Make it easier to join a server. I feel like the game should have a more simple home screen, dumb it down. You can get lost in the different options for tiles, planets, mods, match making, servers, map making... I would go with a more standard approach and use similar concepts like a CSGO or Fortnite home menu. I want to be able to download the game off steam, and after launching be choosing a server within seconds, without have any previous knowledge of the game menu.

I would also like to see some/or more Nadeo or Ubisoft dedicated servers (shamelessly for NA). Have a server with a single player mode (obstacle), another with a 1vs1 mode (Joust or duel) and so on. If I can find one friend to play with right now, we don't have servers to play on without a monthly cost.

I would say any real chance for a revival would to make the changes noted above above and then try to grow the community. How do you grow the community of a game that seems past its prime? You give Royal a face lift. I'm not sure what I would do exactly because I think its already pretty fun. Then you push Royal as a F2P Battle Royal that stands out from PUBG and Fortnite because of its movement and weapons. Its also a game that can be advertised to users with lower end pcs compared to other large BRs. Partner with a streamer to do at least one sponsored stream where they ask their viewers to join their royal server. Maybe someone like DrDisrespect, hes not happy with current BRs and loves fast paced shooters.

I may have had one too many puffs and beers before this post. If any of this makes sense thanks for reading, if not sorry. Long Live Shootmania!

(PS: Really long shot and not important, but I won a shootmania t-shirt in an online tournament a long time ago. (Royal Feast? I think?) But anyway they sent me a Trackmania t-shirt and its great, but I have never played trackmania and would really love a shootmania t-shirt. If you guys have any left somewhere I'd pay for the shipping.)
HYPE

Post by HYPE »

Great to see some life here again. Postive discussions always help us as a whole! :) Keep it going! :D

I will start discussions about the points Monkey made in his original post on discord today and I hope I will find the time to summarise it and post it also here on the forum, so also the ppl that are not on discord can contribute from that. :)
HYPE Smurf

Professional QuestMania-Player since 2022

When you get sad, stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.

ShootMania Community Discord Server
hackie

Post by hackie »

Any plans for a "live show with Hylis" on discord ?
System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K / 4 GHz - 8 MB cache
GPU: MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G - OC Edition
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
RAM : 32Gb Kingston HyperX Savage - DDR4
DirectX 11
HYPE

Post by HYPE »

There is currently not really anything to talk about with Hylis imo. No updates since the last Q&A and pretty much all questions were already asked. So at this point I don't see a sense of another interview, but maybe that will change when a new update or announcement is made
HYPE Smurf

Crampe

Post by Crampe »

Hello everyone,

Congratulations to monkey for this interesting article.
for my part I was thinking a solo mode shoot like solo obstacle but it would probably require a more developed bot system .. otherwise I join morkey on a lot of topic.
meanwhile I stream for hope to give visibility and activity to the game. thank you all for not giving up this best fps game of all time :D
HYPE

Post by HYPE »

Monkey wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 06:49 1. Marketing and Potential

As far as I know Shootmania got advertised quite a lot in France and Germany which makes sense since it's a french company who's developing Maniaplanet and the calculations to begin with were probably not that big for the potential active player numbers which I totally understand if that's the case. Shootmania is no Call of Duty or any other high-end Game where tons of resources are available for the production and advertising of the game.

BUTin my oppinion Nadeo forgot one important thing which is called the United States of America.

No, the USA are not the only important place in the world to get your game going but they are the biggest source for advertising a game can get.

Here is what I exactly mean with that:

At least 90% of the most famous streamers are located in the US.
All the biggest E-sports Tournaments are hold, advertised and funded by companies in the US.
There is a huge amount of active players in the United States.
All the biggest social media platforms are located in the US.

As you probably can read out of this the United States of America are a huge potential fame boost for a game like Shootmania, advertise it there, get it growing, get streamers to start playing it and the community will increase in no time.

But Monkey, Shootmania will just get buried by games like CoD or Fortnite and all the money spent on advertisement will be lost.

Yes and No! Of course there is no guarantee for the success of Shootmania but in my opinion with some changes to the game Shootmania has a huge potential especially in the World of Esports which we will discuss in the following section.
The result of the discusion on discord about this point was:
- We agreed that both the anerican and asian playerbase and gaming industry is huge, but that the european playerbase is still big enough. Also the playerbase that we already had during mp2, from which a big part still loves the game eventho they quit, was big enough for our needs.

- We were not sure what an impact a big streamer would have on this game at the current point. If he would play the game regulary it could maybe boost ShootMania a bit but we doubt a lasting impact.

- We all agreed that advertisment at the current situation would be a bad idea. There are still many bugs to iron out and other steps to be taken. Monk9443 did give a good comment on that, where I can only agree:
monk9443 wrote:if i were hylis in this moment i see two possible paths in front of me, well three, but the third one is to abandon the game, and that one is not fun
so on to the two that matter, it's really simple, it's either a rebrand ala Rocket league (for reference see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersoni ... attle-Cars and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_League -- same mechanics in both games)
and a thing i am predicting that will become a trend, so it's a big gamble, but being a trend setter can bring about good marketing options
it's what no mans sky did, turning out big game changing patches constantly, like mp tried with 1, 2 and 3, (we don't mention 4, that was a mistake)
thing is each update should be focused on one thing, and i would go in a simple direction, first big update, squash as many bugs as possible in 6 months, no new development, then redesign the UI for 6 months then you pay for some small marketing and let the word of mouth carry you to glory (if it succeeds)
it is a gamble but much easier and cheaper than a full rebrand
Last edited by HYPE on 13 Sep 2018, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
HYPE Smurf

Monk9443

Post by Monk9443 »

What are those numbers, is this some sort of a conspiracy against me.

I do not endorse bullying.

Signed by: Monk1337

Return to “Shootmania”