[Fixed] Map conversion

Moderator: English Moderator

hackie

[Fixed] Map conversion

Post by hackie »

Mapconversion does not work anymore ?

Like this : ManiaPlanet.exe /computeallshadows /upgrademaps /useronly /fullcheck /LmQuality=High /titles=TMStadium

Game opens , and after 10 sec it closes. No errors.
System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K / 4 GHz - 8 MB cache
GPU: MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G - OC Edition
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
RAM : 32Gb Kingston HyperX Savage - DDR4
DirectX 11
Miss

Re: Map conversion

Post by Miss »

Yes, this has been reported before, it's currently slightly broken.
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
LuckyBoy
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by LuckyBoy »

Hi,

Could you explain why you expect the maps to be converted/shadow_computed ?
Can you play with theses maps in online like before ? (without computing them)

I mean this MP update did not changed the bloc datas.
We use a new way of computing/storing lightmaps, yet old way is still compatible (you should be able to play on old maps without convert).

Then I'd like to have more details about the issue.

Thanks
stefan.fueger

Post by stefan.fueger »

So, we can safely say that Nadeo first breaks a lot of stuff that is one of the main selling points of the game (custom content) with MP4:
A lot of third party titles don't work anymore as the creators already had moved on. No possibility to fix them for people who downloaded these packs before the mandatory update.

Then the only option to update the own stuff is broken in the next update.

Sorry, if I was to develop a software that has user-content as a central element, I would make sure that the user content is either compatible or can be updated easily* instead of ignoring that part entirely.

And yes, I now program for 30 years, taught usability, and developed for larger companies ... and from that perspective I must say, that Nadeo lost their Track a bit (pun intended).

*) With "easily" I mean that normal players can update it with a few button-clicks. The normal user doesn't want to make bat-files and read forum posts about that ... he wants to click a few buttons and play.
stefan.fueger

Post by stefan.fueger »

LuckyBoy wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 19:03 Hi,

We use a new way of computing/storing lightmaps, yet old way is still compatible (you should be able to play on old maps without convert).

Thanks
He talks about maps from before the MP4 update. MP3 -> MP4 broke lightmaps and geometry (stadium-blocks missing their floor for example).
These maps need to be updated to be playable. If you open them in the track editor instead of using the batch-file-method, the maps get unvalidated, skinnings get removed, etc ... so you have to revalidate them (old replays also get invalid, AFAIK), reskin them, etc ... there was a fine method using a batch command in MP4.0 (the method he described in his original post) ... which is now broken in MP4.1 (or doesn't work anymore on purpose for whatever reason).

EDIT: Unfortunately MP4.0 isn't available anymore, so that one cannot update his older maps. That's exactly what I meant in my last post: Don't expect anybody convert everything as soon, as Nadeo updates it's stuff. Keep things compatible and don't make ways to convert/update stuff incompatible with the next update.
Electron

Post by Electron »

See also:
Re: [NotABug] no work,, convert old maps
Re: [R4.1][BUG] Batch computing of maps doesnt work anymore
In the Closed Beta forums I reported a Crash-to-Desktop (CTD) bug, that occurs when you use the ComputeAllShadows switch without the Title parameter: [B.4.1] CTD if /ComputeAllShadows parameter is set without /Title
The CTD was given including this version of ManiaPlanet.exe: date=2018-11-02_11_59 Svn=86704

With the next released Beta version the CTD was fixed, but after that neither the switch ComputeAllShadows nor UpgradeMaps worked any more.
@LuckyBoy: Compare the Svn=86704 with the next pushed version and you will (hopefully) find the cause.

After you finally fixed this bug: Stadium's spot were no longer switched on by sunset/night when a Mod was used. I want update and rerelease my old title pack. But I need to update the shadows of all campaign maps. Doing this map by map in the editor is a lot of work and not possible any more, because they are invalidated just after loading (the status in the upper right edge says "validated", but the flag in the bottom right is yellow/orange; another bug, that is still not fixed).
bern

Post by bern »

Thanks
hi LuckyBoy!!!
old maps need to be updated, I use the tool to update them.
the tool was going very well, because it only regenerated the shadows and textures with the new update.

the maps of TMU could also be exported and be able to play the maps in the new updates ,,
the program carried out updating correctly without touching "the author of the map"

Now it is not possible to update the maps keeping the old "map author"
TMU maps can only be played in Individual mode in the new update

It is not possible to put TMU maps on the servers.
My intention was to rescue maps for the leagues and that current players see the wonders that were made in yesteryear, without touching the "author of the map"

And encourage the new ones to create maps, which most people currently only think about playing and not creating.
I pray that you put the program back from MSDOS to be able to update old maps from TMU, that only update the map to the latest version, respecting the original author.

Thank you .

Bern
Dirt World TM2
hackie

Post by hackie »

bern wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 21:06

Thanks
hi LuckyBoy!!!
old maps need to be updated, I use the tool to update them.
the tool was going very well, because it only regenerated the shadows and textures with the new update.

the maps of TMU could also be exported and be able to play the maps in the new updates ,,
the program carried out updating correctly without touching "the author of the map"

Now it is not possible to update the maps keeping the old "map author"
TMU maps can only be played in Individual mode in the new update

It is not possible to put TMU maps on the servers.
My intention was to rescue maps for the leagues and that current players see the wonders that were made in yesteryear, without touching the "author of the map"

And encourage the new ones to create maps, which most people currently only think about playing and not creating.
I pray that you put the program back from MSDOS to be able to update old maps from TMU, that only update the map to the latest version, respecting the original author.

Thank you .

Bern
Dirt World TM2
+1
System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K / 4 GHz - 8 MB cache
GPU: MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G - OC Edition
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
RAM : 32Gb Kingston HyperX Savage - DDR4
DirectX 11
LuckyBoy
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by LuckyBoy »

Hi,

The bug will be fixed in next update.

@stefan.fueger: I understand your frustration, yet it's not obvious for us to check all paths of game content are working as intended.
I made the mistake of misunderstanding that initial bug report and minimized the impact of it, sorry about that.

Thanks

Return to “MP4.1 REPORTS / BUGS / INFORMATION”