Regular game crash while editing? and a workaround

Moderators: w1lla, NADEO

null8fuenf10

Re: Regular game crash while editing?

Post by null8fuenf10 »

Hi,

maybe its not the right place, but i want to say, that my game crashes 10-20 times per day.

I'm not much in the Editor, so i don't know if it's there happen, too. But for me, mostly it crashes, when i want to connect to a server or a channel and it happens when the map changes, on a server or a channel. No ErrorMessage or something else, it simply shuts down and i see my desktop.

Another thing is, when i start to play, all runs fine and smooth without lags and fps drops, but when i play a bit longer, so around 30-60 minutes, it begins to stutter and i have many fps drops and lags. This happens when i play maps offline, but more when i play online. Sometimes the game is getting totally unplayable for me, and i have to Quit the game. At first this things only happen in the Maniaplanet Client, then i played through Steam and everything worked fine. After playing a few days, the same happens now on Steam Version, too.

Sure, i have not the best System, but i don't think this is the problem here. And same as pjw said, Maniaplanet is the only Game, where i have such problems. At no other Games or Applications such things happened to me. So, i think it's MP related.

My System:

CPU: AMD Phenom X2 BE @ 3.200Ghz
MB: MSI 770-C45
GC: ATI 5700HD
RAM: 12GB

Greetings
null8fuenf10 :pil
pjw
Halloween Mapper 2011

Post by pjw »

Edit: @ null8fuenf10 That ^^^^^^ sounds very different from what I'm experiencing. I get no performance drops or any other odd behavior over time. It just eventually, sometimes, goes away, but only if I don't save often enough.

Running Win10 Pro 64bit on:

CPU: I7-4770K @ 3.5GHz
Board: ASRock Z97Pro4
Memory: 32GB Corsair DDR3
Vid Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

@Demented, my temps are fine. :)
Demented

Post by Demented »

Not sure if this is of any help but I've had MP running for hours at a time lately and experienced no lag, no stutter and no crashes. Updating some of my tracks lately I've had Trackmania running for 6-10 hours at a time in all four environments, map editor, item editor, media tracker, racing multiple replays, some huge freestyle maps, calculating lighting in Ultra, leaving replays on large maps running often for an hour or more while doing other things, music player running in background etc... and I have not had a single crash.
The only difference might be that I am not connected to the internet while playing (no just playing offline, but not even connected) and don't use Steam or Uplay. Also I'm running Windows 7 pro.
I hope this can help pin down the problem or eliminate some possibilities.
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

That's an interesting thought, but I doubt that a crash coming fro the video system is related to the network, especially when editing.
Unless you're using locators linking to resources outside.

In the past I sometimes had experienced issues with MP, which were due to certain nVidia video driver versions.
A rollback to an older or newer (stable /WHQL) version helped.

I hope someone of Nadeo is looking into the logs and can give hints or even tell it's a bug in the game.
Demented

Post by Demented »

Good point.
I've had similar issues in the past where nvidia and maniaplanet were both trying to control the graphics after an update causing massive slowdowns.
I currently have nvidia set to override MP settings so that very well could be where the issue is.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Exactly this hint I always give: let any possible nvidia setting controlled by the game. Avoid colliding or contradictory settings.
And after a video driver update, if there are issues in the game, first delete the file config\Default.SystemConfig.gbx in the Windows user documents\Maniaplanet folder.
And if this does not help, clean the DirectX cache in programdata\Maniaplanet.
pjw
Halloween Mapper 2011

Post by pjw »

Just a quick note on this, in case anyone else is getting it, or finds this thread via Google.

I've found a way to (so far) reliably prevent the crash from happening.

To do this, I open up NVIDIA Control Panel and turn on Help --> Debug Mode. That's it.

As long as Debug Mode is on, the crash doesn't happen.

*shrug* whatever works...I'm sure it slows down performance to at least some extent, but when I'm just editing, I don't particularly care.
Demented

Post by Demented »

Interesting.
I'll have to remember that.
Alinoa

Re: Regular game crash while editing? and a workaround

Post by Alinoa »

Thank you pjw for your feedback and I edited your first message with this workaround :thumbsup:
Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

More information about maniaplanet, support, contents, community activities: useful links

ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated server, Mediatracker, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...)

Return to “Trackmania² Reports”