How could QuestMania Work?

Discuss everything related to Questmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

Solon001

Re: How could QuestMania Work?

Post by Solon001 »

Raf_Cian wrote:My baseless prediction is that we're getting a "town" for each of the settings. Sort of like Phantasy Star Online or the R00t Towns in .Hack (which is by extension a mechanic of virtual MMO of that game, the World). This would give us a themed location to organize our toolbelts, select our quests, and possibly enter the quest editors.
You Sir have just made my day. I loved the .hack games and as soon as I heard about QuestMania I came to the conclusion that I would love to be able to make some sort of .hack engine using the environments. And when you wrote that it made me thing. "Wow there's actually someone on here that has even played/heard of .hack" (not many people do where I live) and this is exactly how I see it. Off-line, you can make your own quests and play then as you would in TM with your own character own level system and own items whatever you want. but on-line there is a server run by Nadeo or Ubisoft. Where you use an On-line character that you can't level up off-line.

The Stages you can go to online are submitted to the runners of the server. if they judge a stage to be "fair" in terms of the difficulty:reward ratio then it is given a codeword(s) and posted on the forum and given to you on mail. you and the people who check the forum and have obtained the codeword(s) to your stage are free to pass them round to anyone who has not yet tried it.

Thus enabling people to fool around off-line, and still creates a friendly diverse and fair on-line experience.

What I think would be cool is if your are allowed to create your own monsters/enemies. and their allowed on-line then Ubisoft or Nadeo like the enemies they add them to a list of cards you can collect. kinda similar to tetra master in FF9. where you can find these cards in the treasure chests of places where that enemy exists. Or by beating other players or NPC's in a game. The same can be applied to on-line players who complete official event quests or gain popularity within the game. they get made as cards and get 1 gets given to the player in question while a few others are spread out in either some treasure chests or some NPC's just give em out till the maximum number has been reached. just like how you could collect character cards in FF9.

I know the built in CCG would never happen but it'd be cool. Just to add some variation so that the game isn't just about the level grind and chopping the head off of THAT monster. (Yeah y'know what i'm on about. The huge one that clubbed you to death last time you went there and caused you to lose your rare weapon that you puck up at the start of the dungeon. yeah THAT ONE) It''d also be cool for developers to see their creations recognized while they're playing the game like. they play that card and they'd be like. "hm hang on a sec. I MADE THAT HAH!"

Well thanks for reading my extremely long rant, hope you enjoyed it. On the other hand you may just be relieved to see the wall of text disappear from your screen either way :P.
See car Race, See car overtake, See car drive over boost, see car rocket towards ramp, see car fly through the air, see conveniently placed building, see car hit building, sorry car.
Balmung

Post by Balmung »

I love .hack too and QM sounds nice. Can't wait for more Infos about this Game. At the moment i can not imagine how QM looks at the end and what is posible and what not. But it is a great Idea.

But the problem of .hack is: it have Anime Cellshading Graphic. Without something is missed.
xzbobzx

Post by xzbobzx »

Medieval battles of a thousand on a thousand battling it out over player created maps!
Trolling the world, one post at a time!
TorbenX

Post by TorbenX »

(sorry for possible bad english, bad grammar or that my ideas/reasons are not explained well...)

I am really thinking of a cool combination of Trackmania and the regular RPG's. So you can completely create an own character for each enviroment, and play some of the standard levels and objectives you'll have just like you have standard levels in Trackmania (like Race-A1, Stunt-A1, etc.), but you can also play objectives and levels created by others around the web.

I think you can expect simple things like puzzling to get as fast as you can to other places, but also the typically 'kill-the-beast' objectives or 'clear-the-dungeon' or 'rescue-someone'. These are actually the regular things you see in almost every RPG game, but creating them yourself would be really awesome (if that is possible).
And it was all the plan of...MR.TROLOLO GUY!
World Records: None, best result: 91th (D03-Acrobatics)
Country Records: 1 (Stunt)
Province Records: 6 (Stunt) 1 (Stadium) 1 (StarTrack)
Kaldra

Post by Kaldra »

I just saw a trailer about LittleBigPlanet2 and thought: hey that's exactly how QM should work! Creating arcarde levels, but endless possibilities to create whole games, together with an Trackmania-easy Editor: AWESOME.
MattyLion

Post by MattyLion »

I sincerely hope we get to write our own storylines. That will give writer cum gamers like myself a chance to make something genuinely innovative and exciting for people to play. The concept of a build your own RPG is nothing new, with Nadeo's traditionally high quality and user friendly toolkits I'm sure this is easily achievable.
Solon001

Post by Solon001 »

Hylis wrote:satisfaction of the mind is not necessary a puzzle
we don't ask for physical efforts in action games, but more on physical reflexs. for the mind, the goal is to be at a reflex level, but at a more natural use of experience... I expect more some sort of a know how more than a puzzle. The game is still in evolution, but that's more my beliefs.
This.

Most MMO's have a tendency (especially later on) to be just a monotonous loop. Player Meets Enemy, Player has bigger Stick, Player wins, Player meets Enemy, Enemy has bigger stick, Enemy wins, leaving you at the mercy of the system.

What hylis is saying. (or what i interpreted from hylis' post) is that battling an enemy, isn't just whacking them with a club, or slashing them with a sword etc. it's about predicting your opponents movements anticipating them, dodging them, and striking them when their guard is low. So what Hylis is saying is your skill in combat is the brain portion of the battling. while the physical part of it is seeing a dragon and feeling the adrenaline pump through your body as you charge in to slash it again and again, (knowing that it's not as good at blocking attacks than say, a goblin with a shield) and letting the raw animal instinct take over and hoping that you manage to kill it before it turns you into a barbecue. (speaking from experience in the Phantasy Star Online department)
See car Race, See car overtake, See car drive over boost, see car rocket towards ramp, see car fly through the air, see conveniently placed building, see car hit building, sorry car.
Slaat3

Post by Slaat3 »

It could be something like Spore Galactic Adventures. Lots of missions with lots of quests and you can build your own mission with quests.
hugocool

Post by hugocool »

Hylis have already stated that the game will be very different from other RPG games.

There's a pattern going on with the Mania-games.

For example:

TrackMania 2: Pretty unrealistic, sort-of low gravity, go through cars, etc.

Shootmania: No gun model, no real violence with blood and gore, and not many weapons.

When coming to questmania, there is a fact that it's pretty hard to scale-down such a complex video-game genre. RPG games have spells, quests and leveling up. If Questmania is going to fit in with the other games in the "series", I think they're going to make things a little easier, for a "Pure, fun challange".

Blind guess of how it could work: Players go around on a map, killing eachother with swords, and levels up during the round. When the next round begins, it switches to a new map and player's experience points are reset.

I quote Hylis: what is important to think of when you try to imagine how QuestMania work, is," it is different from what I am thinking right at this moment" Then you can easily think how it works.
Big fan of Daft Punk.
Trackmaniack

Post by Trackmaniack »

hugocool wrote:Hylis have already stated that the game will be very different from other RPG games.

There's a pattern going on with the Mania-games.

For example:

TrackMania 2: Pretty unrealistic, sort-of low gravity, go through cars, etc.

Shootmania: No gun model, no real violence with blood and gore, and not many weapons.

When coming to questmania, there is a fact that it's pretty hard to scale-down such a complex video-game genre. RPG games have spells, quests and leveling up. If Questmania is going to fit in with the other games in the "series", I think they're going to make things a little easier, for a "Pure, fun challange".

Blind guess of how it could work: Players go around on a map, killing eachother with swords, and levels up during the round. When the next round begins, it switches to a new map and player's experience points are reset.

I quote Hylis: what is important to think of when you try to imagine how QuestMania work, is," it is different from what I am thinking right at this moment" Then you can easily think how it works.
I have a hard time believing that a shooter can have no gun model. That's likely not an "official" quote, and even if it is, it's from an early alpha version, don't forget that...
WIP

Return to “Questmania”