Memory requirements for Dedicated Server

Moderator: NADEO

_bb_mort

Memory requirements for Dedicated Server

Post by _bb_mort »

(I had posted this in the growing dedicated sever thread, but it seems to have been buried. Makes sense to post these questions as seperate topics)

I've got the TM2 dedicated server running on a server (Windows 7 32bit) that I currently have a TM1 server running. Everything looks good so far.

One big obvious point is the memory usage. My TM1 server process (TrackManiaserver.exe) is using about 3.5MB of memory while the TM2 server (Maniaplanetserver.exe) is using 87MB of memory. At times, the memory climbs up to 160+MB.

This will seriously limit the number of TM2 servers that can run on the same host.

Why is there such a massive difference? Is this a bug in the current beta that will be improved with development?

Also, are there any known issues with running on servers with multiple CPUs like there is with the TM1 server or has that been fixed with the TM2 server? (ie. Do we still need to set the CPU affinity for the server process?)
_bb_mort

Re: Memory requirements for Dedicated Server

Post by _bb_mort »

Doesn't look like much has changed memory wise with Beta4. Is this something that is likely to be improved or is this what we should expect for RTM versions of the TM2 server as well?

It makes it tough when a server that could run 8 TM1 dedicated servers would now be struggling to run 2 TM2 server.
Slig

Post by Slig »

I don't think that optimizing the memory used by the dedicated is the most priority for now for xbx ;)

Btw, it will probably become worse when server/gamemode maniascripts will be added, and anyway i think that the cpu usage increase will make more limitations than the memory (not difficult to get a 1GB ram or more nowadays, isn't it ?). I guess that an old P3/512MB won't host really more than 1 or 2 small maniaplanet dedicated with gamemode maniascripts and server scripts... wait & see that the dedicated become more mature ;)
_bb_mort

Post by _bb_mort »

CPU is fine and is nowhere near being a problem. I'm now running two servers with Fast and that's about the most my server will handle now. It used to run 8 tm1 servers all with Fast with no problems.

I'm hoping its just because the current server is running debug code and will fix things when the "debug" mode is turned off.

Return to “Dedicated Server”