Suggestion - "Select URL" in MT

Moderator: NADEO

rat_in_car

Re: Suggestion - "Select URL" in MT

Post by rat_in_car »

TMarc, I'll try to explain my point of view as good as possible. In my opinion (and based on personal experience on this forum), I think that admins creates this forum and expand it beyond madness by creating hundred of subsections without any sense and now they can't control posts here. I really think that programmers are nice persons, but how they can answers posts here if they must spend 30 minutes to enter every possible section? I spend 10 minutes to find proper section to write my suggestion (and my choice was wrong anyway). If users don't know where to write, then admins gets random posts in random places!

Good forums I knows have few sections and that's enough! Every forum has sorting, search, tags. Nobody really needs that many sections, because this is not old library - we use computers these days! And computer can sort and filter posts.

I think we don't get answer, because admins don't see 90% of posts here.
Gugli
Nadeo
Nadeo
Location: Mon PC est à Paris, mais mon coeur rode dans les forêts de Lozère

Post by Gugli »

It's quite off-topic, and sorry I can't answer about your MT pb.

Most of us use the "newposts" button, and watch more or less closely throughout the day (and the night ;p).
We can miss some threads of course, but most of them are read, especially ones with many activity (that's why bumping thread with "Bug is still there in Version XXXX" sometimes helps us to remind it ^_^).
--
(>~_~)> ═╦═ ╔╦╗ <(~_~<)
rat_in_car

Post by rat_in_car »

Hmmm, it's a little strange that you, person from TM crew, use "newposts" button to display posts. If even you see no point for "digging" into sections, then who should? This is another proof that made hundred sections is pointless imho.
Gugli
Nadeo
Nadeo
Location: Mon PC est à Paris, mais mon coeur rode dans les forêts de Lozère

Post by Gugli »

Newpost is "sections aware", I don't often use NewPosts on root (but sometimes, to see what's going on).
But other people here may have different habits.
--
(>~_~)> ═╦═ ╔╦╗ <(~_~<)
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

I have understood better now, rat_in_car, thanks for the explanation :thumbsup:

The forum is not as complicated as it looks ;)
It is certainly a bit annoying that the dedicated server / community tools and the open beta reports sections are below all the languages we don't speak obviously.
This is especially hindering when I have to move or split topics, because the dropdown used for this could be larger ;)

You're funny with the madness :lol:
But you're absolutley right with the possible lost of control, and this is why there are so many moderators actually.
You can find them on the front page, if you click on the link right next of "Moderators:"

If you don't find the appropriate section for your new topic, please ask one of them, or just create your topic in the next best forum, no problem about that.
It is easy to move this topic later to the correct suforum.
You can report as well threads of others if you think they are in the wrong section.
To do this, click on the left triangle above a message of that thread, named "report this topic" and write what is wrong.

About looking for new posts:
Each forum, each subforum has markers (little file icons like Image) that show if there are new posts inside.
Those icons are handy if you are regularily following a few forums.
But if you start using those in a general way, then you spend "ages" to check all them.

This is why I am first checking my mails, where I have received automatic notifications because of answers to subscribed topics and private messages.
Then I usually click on the 4 links on top of the main page of the forum:
Mostly "View active topics" and "View new posts". There I get an overview of any new post.
Luckily there is not much activity in foreign languages actually, so I hope a selection of habitual forums will be implemented here when the mania really starts to spread ;)

Sometimes I also use the other two links "View unanswered posts" and "View unread posts".
So I see very fast what is new in a different way, what I have missed in the previous check.

Sometimes I take up threads with questions if there was no response within a few days, and try to find an answer by searching the forum, or I check with the admins if they can help.

So if you do all this, you have to read, read, read, and this a lot ;)
rat_in_car

Post by rat_in_car »

I agree that there are methods to handle this forum. But these method are tricks that makes forum more flatten (like I recommend). You're using commands that disable subsections (like "View new posts") by extract posts from all sections and show in one list. So - my question is - why some moderators just don't change forum this way and made it that nice without using commands? Everyone must using "flatten forum" commands to made this forum looks normal and that is crazy.

Look at maniazones / poland. There are separate section for every province but we're using main section to write our posts (of course always some new users trying to write something in subsections, but this is few percent of users). Good that nobody trying to made sections like country > province > city > northen part > street name > building > flat > room... ;)
rat_in_car

Post by rat_in_car »

UP!

I remind that "Select URL" in MT is still not implemented.

Also seriuos bug - http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic. ... 27&t=14671

Damn... Is this game forever-beta or what?

Return to “Maniaplanet Reports”