Blue screen of death during editor

Moderators: w1lla, NADEO

TGYoshi

Re: Blue screen of death during editor

Post by TGYoshi »

Very likely a bug in either the game's shader code causing that bsod or a bug in your gpu driver. It's very very unlikely that this is caused by whatever tmarc suggests. Since this is a software crash, overheating is unlikely here too.

Try upgrading your gpu drivers to the latest stable version or downgrading to a known stable one. I'm using driver version 355.82 at the moment and it seems perfectly stable for all things I use. Try that driver version if the newest ones don't fix it.
=3
Rots
Translator
Translator

Post by Rots »

As a personal experience im on 361.43 and no problems either in game or in editor. But yea, try downgrading.
TrackMania Original brought me here... Here I am since 2006
Miss

Post by Miss »

TGYoshi wrote:Very likely a bug in either the game's shader code causing that bsod or a bug in your gpu driver. It's very very unlikely that this is caused by whatever tmarc suggests. Since this is a software crash, overheating is unlikely here too.

Try upgrading your gpu drivers to the latest stable version or downgrading to a known stable one. I'm using driver version 355.82 at the moment and it seems perfectly stable for all things I use. Try that driver version if the newest ones don't fix it.
I've already tried upgrading.

However, clearing the D3D could could actually work, if a (corrupt) shader has been compiled and cached (which Maniaplanet does). I have yet to try it though.
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
TGYoshi

Post by TGYoshi »

Chances are still very slim that causes it given your error. Corrupt shaders usually result in a driver emitted error, which might crash the game if Nando doesn't handle those errors properly at most. Unless there's a driver bug.

I'd just try downgrading if upgrading doesn't work, it's actually a fairly common cause for these sort of crashes.
=3
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

TGYoshi wrote:It's very very unlikely that this is caused by whatever tmarc suggests.
Somehow you are contradicting yourself if you name the shaders as buggy, but don't think that deleting the shader cache will help.
"Thanks" for not believing at all the experience gained during of several years of Maniaplanet forum... actually those recommendations helped quite a few people in the past :?

New video drivers and a systemconfig which was created based on older driver often don't work together, especially if the users also twiddle some settings in the nVidia control panel only. Observed issues are fps drops, lower general performance, less frequently texture issues, but also editor issues.

The d3d cache content also partially results from those settings. Some shaders are compiled depending on video driver and video game settings (= features currently selected/available).
And if you change your video card e.g. from AMD ot nVidia or the other way, it is even more interesting.

I also experienced crashes (longer time ago) during placing of blocks (where in window mode you can see in the title bar that shaders are compiled), after I had updated a nVidia driver (it was on GTX560ti that time). Only going back to a previously working driver helped. Later I tried a newer WHQL driver, and the issue was not there anymore.

Additionally, if you have a small SSD as C drive and not moved out the ProgramData, it could be possible that at some point in time the drive is full, and a shader file or cache entry (like lightmap) cannot be written.

To pinpoint the cause, it would be interesting to know when those issues exactly started to appear.
But without proper debugging possibilities (which only Nadeo has) it will be difficult.
TGYoshi

Post by TGYoshi »

There's no real reason to feel offended, unless you want to interpret it that way. I'm just objective and to-the-point, stating whatever I feel like is way more likely to cause the issue than the things you've suggested, even though they may have some effect (although I'd argue the chances are extremely slim, all things you've suggested shouldn't ever result in a system failure, and wrongly coded Nando shaders shouldn't either, but that sometimes happens; driver bugs, however, are way more likely to cause it - invalid precompiled shaders shouldn't cause system crashes either).

It's pointless to argue about it. We're all trying to help someone, don't take it personal and take all potential solutions together :thumbsup: .
=3
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Not offended, only surprised, as you are also very long here already ;)
TGYoshi wrote:It's pointless to argue about it. We're all trying to help someone, don't take it personal and take all potential solutions together :thumbsup: .
absolutely right :thumbsup:
Miss

Post by Miss »

Well, bluescreened again today after clearing my shader cache (GPUCache?), so that didn't fix it. :(
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.

Return to “Maniaplanet Reports”