Server leaking ips (fB's Weekly)

Talk about the online play and eSport / team

Moderator: English Moderator

Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Re: Server leaking ips (fB's Weekly)

Post by Hylis »

Can not know if that exactly this, but DOS is more and more a common practice in esport. My idea is at least to prevent peer IP to be known either if user disconnect p2p or if the server enforce it (would not mean that the trouble maker would not have got it in another way, but may help) I also have other ideas, but would rather not talk about it like that.
FrostBeule

Re: Server leaking ips (fB's Weekly)

Post by FrostBeule »

Miss wrote:I doubt that DOS-ing someone's connection has anything to do with this, especially since ISPs nowadays are pretty resistant against things like that. I'm curious why you're suspecting that this is a person doing this, and not just a generic bug in the server? It'd be interesting to see a debug log from someone who got disconnected during such match.
The way the players that were in the top of the ranking would get these disconnects which were nothing like a normal disconnect (eg. their internet slowing down but still somewhat working) is a pretty solid indication they were being attacked. This has happened to myself as well on several occasions in the past, and I even got contacted by the attackers on one occasion. So it's pretty clear my event was a target for whatever reason.
There were also attacks done on the server before the players themselves got affected (which were seen by the host), but while it's possible to enforce protection on the servers, it's unfortunately not possible for me or anyone else to protect the players since the IPs are publicly available on the servers if you know how to do it (it's not difficult).

Hylis wrote:Can not know if that exactly this, but DOS is more and more a common practice in esport. My idea is at least to prevent peer IP to be known either if user disconnect p2p or if the server enforce it (would not mean that the trouble maker would not have got it in another way, but may help) I also have other ideas, but would rather not talk about it like that.
Yes, it's a huge issue for bigger esports games, and I do wonder how they handle this kind of thing which must happen much more often to them. Surely there must be ways to add protection for the players, otherwise I imagine these bigger games would not function very well.
Disallowing p2p on the server or by the players themselves I've been told does not help and you can still see their IPs on the servers. Perhaps some kind of encryption between the players and the servers is the solution, but I'm just speculating without having any knowledge on it. All I know is that I'd love to be able to host my race again...

Return to “Multiplayer”