Too many games.

Discuss of everything related to TrackMania 1.
rxww

Too many games.

Post by rxww »

I used to play the original (the actual original) TrackMania back in the day. It was very, very fun. I thought about it recently and decided to check out how the TrackMania franchise was doing and possibly purchase one of the newer games. To my dismay, there's about 15 different TrackMania games now.

Let's disregard the newest TrackMania 2. My system probably won't be able to handle that. Which is the latest version of TrackMania before that? What's the different "United Forever" and "United" (and "Forever")? What's the "Star Edition"?

From what I've gathered, each time a new game is released they all get compiled into another new game. I literally don't know which one I should be playing.

I don't want to play the free game. The canyon environment was too awesome to miss out on. The Wikipedia article seems to miss out or incorrectly name some of the titles; I could be wrong about everything I've said in this post.

P.S.: Which ones allow LAN play? Any of them allow you to run a dedicated server (IIRC the newer games are P2P).
metoxys
Translator
Translator

Re: Too many games.

Post by metoxys »

rxww wrote:I used to play the original (the actual original) TrackMania back in the day. It was very, very fun. I thought about it recently and decided to check out how the TrackMania franchise was doing and possibly purchase one of the newer games. To my dismay, there's about 15 different TrackMania games now.

Let's disregard the newest TrackMania 2. My system probably won't be able to handle that. Which is the latest version of TrackMania before that? What's the different "United Forever" and "United" (and "Forever")? What's the "Star Edition"?

From what I've gathered, each time a new game is released they all get compiled into another new game. I literally don't know which one I should be playing.

I don't want to play the free game. The canyon environment was too awesome to miss out on. The Wikipedia article seems to miss out or incorrectly name some of the titles; I could be wrong about everything I've said in this post.

P.S.: Which ones allow LAN play? Any of them allow you to run a dedicated server (IIRC the newer games are P2P).
United Forever = Most recent.
United = Old. Automatically updates to United Forever.
Star Edition = Nonsense. The latest United Forever update adds the Star Track campaign.
> compiled = no.
> which one = TMUF or Canyon.
LAN play = Each and every one of them.
Dedicated server = Should also be all of them.
PapyChampy

Post by PapyChampy »

TM release history :

- TM

- TM Sunrise

- TM Original (Which was TM with the graphics engine of TMS)

- TMNations (Free)

- TM United ( = TMUnited Forever ). Regroups 7 environments : TMO + TMS + TMNations)

- TM² Canyon (1 environment, many improvements and new graphics engine )

If you want to grab a new version of TM, you got the choice between TMUnited Forever and TM²Canyon. :thumbsup:

Edit : Metoxys gave the missing info about Lan, etc.
RamCUP2000
Translator
Translator

Post by RamCUP2000 »

PapyChampy wrote:TM release history :
- TM² Canyon (1 environment, many improvements and new graphics engine )
It will be 1 year tomorrow (official release) ... will be any surprise ? :) :shock:
Omnixor
Translator
Translator

Post by Omnixor »

metoxys wrote:LAN play = Each and every one of them.
maniaplanet2beta misses it for the moment.
- staff head of ESL TM²Stadium -
rxww

Post by rxww »

metoxys wrote:> compiled = no.
> which one = TMUF or Canyon.
Thanks for the replies to everyone so far! I don't understand what you mean by this part, though.
Omnixor
Translator
Translator

Post by Omnixor »

canyon won't be compiled to another game, all three tm² envis (canyon+valley+???) will be released separately, though they will be in maniaplanet.
- staff head of ESL TM²Stadium -
rxww

Post by rxww »

Thanks for the replies, guys, that's everything I needed to know.
firstdriver

Post by firstdriver »

rxww wrote:.......

[/quote]

The newest and prettiest is Trackmania but not many players on at the moment, only one environment but more to be added at cost over the next couple of years and the handling is not everyones 'cup-of-tea'. Suggest you try a friends copy first.

Trackmania United Forever (TMUF) is of the 'old school' and is a combination of all previous Trackmania games and 7 environments. Alot has gone into this version and it's little cheaper than TM2.

Trackmania Nations Forever (TMNF) is the free version. Don't let that fool you into thinking it's useless though .. it only has one environment (Stadium) but packs an awful lot into it. Only real downfall here is the Freezone which has recently come into force but there are ways around this.

If I was in your shoes at this moment in time my choice would be to first look at YouTube then download the free TMNF (Nations) game as It cost you nothing and this will give you an insight and the 'feel' of TMUF (United) which has loads of extras. Next, find a friend who has TM2 and get the 'feel' of it. Finally, now that you'd have the 'feel' of all the TM games, go buy one or the other or even both to support Nadeo :thumbsup: Hope this helps :D
«DD®»ҒirstÐrive२

DDR WEBSITE .. http://www.teamddracing.com/

$i$f10«$ff1ÐÐ$f10®»

Return to “TrackMania 1 - English”