[Break] Realm project

Talk about the online play and eSport / team

Moderator: English Moderator

MPeti

Re: [Release NOW + Trailer] Realm project

Post by MPeti »

So here are my suggestions/observations as requested :)

About the increasing respawntime: 2 seconds per minute is way too little. It makes no difference at all. If was more, it'd make it more interesting (more variety, more risk) and balanced (winning team respawns slower) at the same time. I'm not sure what nadeo's original setting was, but I'd estimate 15 seconds. If you're afraid of turning off new players with the long respawns, set it between 5 and 10 - that could still affect gameplay, and not turn off many players.

About that rail on the small map we played: I agree its view area should be reduced. Right now, it sees some of B, and pretty much all of C and D. I'd put some obstructions to both C and D to make cover.

About the size of the maps in general: More smaller maps would be nice. Not necessarily as small as the smallest we played, but not much bigger. :) Estimating from memory: on nadeo's maps, you could get from any pole to a different one in about 6 seconds on average. On most of yours, I'd put that value around 10 seconds. (On the small one, I'd guess about 4-5 for A, B and E, 7-8 for C and D). I think 6-7 seconds is a good distance in general. More and it slow down gameplay a lot; less and it gets crowded.

Btw, I might or might not play tomorrow (4 pm is a bit early for me), and I'm going to be away next week, so don't count on me for a while. :)
eyebo wrote:
Ouwe wrote:Canyon was, is and will be the last item I bought from Nadeo. :yes:
I know, it's hard to improve on perfection. :thumbsup:
Chevron
Translator
Translator

Post by Chevron »

Come and join us!

EDIT: We're 7.
- You did.
- And...
- ...I didn't.
MPeti

Post by MPeti »

Quick opinions on the maps I played. I wouldn't bother changing them, but you could learn from them for future maps. :)

Classic shooting - great map, E is slightly too far
Create tactic - A and B are way too far from everything else, even the start points are closer to the other poles. The C-E-D row is a bit too linear, the entire game can end up as a fight for E.
eyebo wrote:
Chevron
Translator
Translator

Post by Chevron »

If you want to stay up to date with the latest news (meetings, etc.) follow this channel.
- You did.
- And...
- ...I didn't.
MPeti

Post by MPeti »

I think you messed that link, it points to the "my channels" page of maniaflash, so it shows nothing for most people, and not the right stuff for anyone but you. :D
eyebo wrote:
Chevron
Translator
Translator

Post by Chevron »

Ignore my previous post, we've created a new channel. We'll post it later.
- You did.
- And...
- ...I didn't.
Soprah

Post by Soprah »

Chevron wrote:Ignore my previous post, we've created a new channel. We'll post it later.
Yes, actually, I am creating a new maniaflash-channel where I will post more stuff about my project like meetings and so on.

Btw, sorry for not being at the meeting today, I had no time :/.
I am going to change the first post of the topic here where I will add a new section: Criticism.
Criticism is one of the biggest part here in the realm project so it deserves his own part in the first post! ;)

Thanks for all your support guys! I really appreciate your effort and it motivates me to keep going on my project!!
:3

All the best,
Soprah
Chevron
Translator
Translator

Post by Chevron »

Come and join us!
We're 7.
- You did.
- And...
- ...I didn't.
Timmeh7

Post by Timmeh7 »

Great mode, but there is an issue I noticed which kinda annoyed me:

I'll try to explain this step by step with an example :D

1.) Let's say Red is capturing Pole A.
2.) When they succeeded, the base belongs to them, so the spawn on A is theirs. Only red players can spawn there.
3.) Now, a blue player wants to capture A.
4.) What he needs to do now is
  • "De-capture" the pole, neutralizing it. => Pole A is not red anymore.
  • At this point, spawn A is still red, red players can still spawn there.
  • The blue player now fills Pole A with his own color.
  • Only when the Pole is fully captured (completely filled blue), red players won't be able to spawn there anymore.
To do all that, the blue player needs >10 seconds (I think the standard setting was even 15 seconds).
5.) In the meantime, red players can see in their spawn selection, that someone captures their pole.
6.) A red player chooses to spawn at A. The spawn is pretty close to the pole, so he rushes up to it and has a good chance to eliminate the blue player.
7.) The blue player gets eliminated and is pissed, because it took him so long to capture the pole and someone just spawns right next to him to kill him. (well, at least I'm constantly pissed when this happens^^)

A possible solution to this might be to edit the script (wasn't hard to change it). My idea would be that after the blue player "de-captured" the pole, the spawn should also be neutralized, like this:

Pole (red players can spawn there) <=> Pole (no one can spawn there) <=> Pole (blue players can spawn there)

Couple of other script-related things could be
  • Team balancing (the AutoTeamBalance through vote doesn't really do its job, sometimes changing a 3 vs 1 to a 4 vs 0^^)
  • Reduce laser damage to +1
  • Gaining points for capturing poles, not only rocket hits
  • While capturing an info that shows how much % the pole is filled.
-murphy-

Post by -murphy- »

The pole/spawn rule was the first thing I was testing while I was alone on the server and surprised about. It's very confusing that spawn keeps red while pole is not fully captured blue. But I am not sure what would be the best solution. I think neutralizing the spawn when it's not fully captured is maybe too much.

For respawn time: maybe a short respawn time at start spawn and longer respawn times for pole spawns would be a good solution.

Return to “Multiplayer”