[B3.1] Can't turn shadows off

Moderator: NADEO

TheBigG.

[B3.1] Can't turn shadows off

Post by TheBigG. »

Hello,
since the last patch i can't turn shadows off. The option is maybe somewhere hidden but i can't find it, pls make it possible again to turn it off.
Client:
OS: Win10/Debian CPU: Intel 9900k GPU: NVIDIA 1080TI Display: 3x Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz 1440p@165 Hz

Server:
OS: Debian Stable @ Backports Kernel CPU: Intel 6700k RAM: 32 GB Storage: 2x 256 GB NVMe SSD@Raid 1

Re: [B3.1] Can't turn shadows off

Post by 2222222 »

It would be an unfair edge if a player could get rid of dark areas of the tracks. If trackmania should be an e-sport game then everyone need to have the same dark areas.
tm2_stadium_beta

Post by tm2_stadium_beta »

TheBigG. wrote:since the last patch i can't turn shadows off
So, there was such an option before? I didn't know that. And yes, I really would like to have it back as well.
2222222 wrote:It would be an unfair edge if a player could get rid of dark areas of the tracks. If trackmania should be an e-sport game then everyone need to have the same dark areas.
I doubt that you compared game looks at different graphics settings (i am talking 'bout stadium, 'cause canyon is absolutely uninteresting to me, especially as an e-sports game). Current game version does quite noticeable visual changes when you change certain graphics options. And just so you know on different lightmap settings and it's combinations with different shader quality dark areas become darker or lighter depending on its combination. Also it affect dynamic lighting behavior quite noticeable.
Only without any graphics settings the game will remain to look the same on each and every computer. Which is nonsense. Because every decent 3d-game should have flexible graphics options.
And please keep in your mind that anyone who would think that shadows or any other graphics option might affect his performance in a certain way would have to just disable it, if he would like to do so of course.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And one more thing. If you want to make (well, actually re-make, 'çause stadium isn't new like at all) a great e-sport game, and not to make it worse in any perspective than its predecessor, then try to get feedback from current pro players on this envi really seriously and listen to what are they talking about all those shadows and shiny stuff, especially the fact that you can't disable it.
Otherwise it won't be any good for both sides.
The most common complain that i heared over this three weeks from experienced tech players was about "crazy cam-2" and shadows and dynamic lighting, which you can't disable. So, yeah, I guess it should mean something after all.

Post by 2222222 »

When making an e-sport game the most important thing is not to make it possible to run as fast as possible, but to make the game as fair as possible. Different graphic settings should be about how good the game looks, how smooth it runs, and not about being able to see the road better.
tm2_stadium_beta

2222222 wrote:When making an e-sport game the most important thing is not to make it possible to run as fast as possible, but to make the game as fair as possible. Different graphic settings should be about how good the game looks, how smooth it runs, and not about being able to see the road better.
I got your point, but I disagree with you. We had this conversation before. Nothing changed since.

Trackmania Nations ESWC and Trackmania Nations Forever has that awesome possibility to turn off shadows, clouds, shadow maps... and it doesn't make it any worse in e-sport perspective, i'd say even the opposite. Those two games are probably the best e-sport racing games of all time.
Also this possibility allows to run the game on much slower computers with much higher fps.

I'm just saying that it would be great if NADEO reconsider and continue the legacy in Trackmania 2 Stadium.

Post by 2222222 »

tm2_stadium_beta wrote:Trackmania Nations ESWC and Trackmania Nations Forever has that awesome possibility to turn off shadows, clouds, shadow maps... and it doesn't make it any worse in e-sport perspective, i'd say even the opposite. Those two games are probably the best e-sport racing games of all time.
Also this possibility allows to run the game on much slower computers with much higher fps.
Those games were made many years ago when computers were slower. Now I think everyone have a computer that can run the new stadium on the lowest setting smooth. My previous 8-year-something old computer could run with over 60 fps with much higher that lowest settings. Even players with very little money can buy hardware that runs Trackmania 2 smooth on the lowest settings.

I'm quite sure the reason it were possible to remove shadows on older trackmanias were only for making the game run smoother. In TMNF I also have the impression that running with no shadows doesn't gives any driving improvements. In the new stadium the shadows is much darker. The light and shadows are of a different nature in which there would be too much of a benefit to turn them away for making it a good option.
tm2_stadium_beta

The more computers can handle the game the better for the NADEO and of course for us, the trackmania community. :thumbsup:
I know numerous players which not going to play stadium exactly because of it's grown resource appetites. And guess what are they think about the idea of buying a new PC to be able to play Stadium? I guess the answer is obvious.

As for your "fairness" thing... Don't be silly. It has nothing to do with fairness.

Post by 2222222 »

If someone is using a more than 8 years old computer for playing computer games, then they should probably be looking for a job rather than playing trackmania. If you want to play computer games, then you also need to upgrade sometimes. It's not expensive to buy a new graphics card for example. No need to buy a whole new computer. If possible, maybe the could try to overclock, try to disable some services or try some other way to make their computer work better.
Omnixor
Translator
Translator

Post by Omnixor »

ok, I bought a not-so-bad laptop in 2010. it gives me ~25fps in all maniaplanet games. do you suggest me to buy a new one?
- staff head of ESL TM²Stadium -

Post by 2222222 »

Omnixor wrote:ok, I bought a not-so-bad laptop in 2010. it gives me ~25fps in all maniaplanet games. do you suggest me to buy a new one?
Maybe it have a bad graphic card that can be upgraded. Maybe the operative system is in bad shape and need to be reloaded. Probably you can disable unnecessary services. Maybe uninstall security software or other software that runs in the background? Maybe some other setting than shading can be lowered. For example playing in a lower resolution.

Return to “Trackmania² Canyon Reports”