Remove the ability to change the format of the chat

Moderator: NADEO

FrostBeule

Remove the ability to change the format of the chat

Post by FrostBeule »

Hey,

So recently its come to my attention that anyone on any server at any time can change the format and the color of the chat using this command: $<. So for example, $f09$< makes the chat pink, and you can also change the size and font in combination as well.

This hasn't become a major problem yet as not many people know about it, but I think it will once more people find out how to do it. For example today on Team Acer's public practice server, it quickly went overboard with people trying to troll each other with it constantly which unfortunately forced me to go on a banhammer-sweep.
Unless this is removed I think it will become the number one tool for trolls to use to annoy people in the game, and i think we're gonna see a lot of it on every server, and even in matches which would be really terrible.

So hopefully this can be fixed quickly before too many people find out about it.
Last edited by FrostBeule on 19 Dec 2013, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Omnixor
Translator
Translator

Re: Changing the format and color of the chat

Post by Omnixor »

now that you posted, many people will find out about it ^^ it was used a few months ago in shootmania too.
- staff head of ESL TM²Stadium -
FrostBeule

Re: Changing the format and color of the chat

Post by FrostBeule »

Omnixor wrote:now that you posted, many people will find out about it ^^ it was used a few months ago in shootmania too.
Instead of slowly but surely await the bigger and bigger chaos that this will bring, I prefer just telling Nadeo about it in hope for a quick fix =)
Baatmaan

Re: Remove the ability to change the format of the chat

Post by Baatmaan »

I do not think this nice little app should be disabled. It is in fact a fun thing that the majority of the community likes and thinks it to be funny.
Marly

Post by Marly »

I will say that its funny with the colors, and i know that its many other players that thinks the same.
Lets instead have a bit fun and dont take everything in a game so seriously :pil
FrostBeule

Post by FrostBeule »

Baatmaan wrote:I do not think this nice little app should be disabled. It is in fact a fun thing that the majority of the community likes and thinks it to be funny.
I definitely do not think the majority think this is "funny". Many of the people that I've spoken to agree with me, and only very young and/or immature people tend to agree with you. And should we really let those kind of people decide what to do in this matter? I think not. And also you don't see the grander scale here: once more and more people know about this, we're constantly going to see it happen and it's going to be a huge issue, especially in competitions.

If Nadeo also thinks this is "funny", then at least make it an option to disable the feature for those who don't agree and think it is only causing problems.
Last edited by FrostBeule on 19 Dec 2013, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
lifelux

Post by lifelux »

I think this gives the game a bit more depth in the ways of chatting and having fun.
Having
Fun
kripkee

Post by kripkee »

3 new registed accounts for this topic, this looks very serious^^

Anyway, this is not really funny, It is just annoying to spam the chat with colors and formats etc.
Omnixor
Translator
Translator

Post by Omnixor »

Marly's a legit person tho, he used this "funny thing" in a compo (RPG nightcup I think, it was in frost's stream).
- staff head of ESL TM²Stadium -
steeffeen
Translator
Translator

Post by steeffeen »

Baatmaan wrote:It is in fact a fun thing that the majority of the community likes and thinks it to be funny.
i definitely doubt that

imho even more annoying than turning the chat into another style are nicknames that style their own following messages
because you can fix the chat styling but you can't prevent the chat messages to look ugly and disturbing

i've encountered quite some players with such nicknames and i tried kindly asking them if they mind changing it back because it's irritating, usually after that they start bitching and insulting :thumbsup:
    Game Mode and Title Pack Creator, Developer, ShootMania-Player & more

ManiaControl, FancyManiaLinks

Return to “Trackmania² Canyon Reports”