Suggestion - Castle block skin

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

aprror

Suggestion - Castle block skin

Post by aprror » 21 Aug 2014, 18:33

Hey

First, look at the old videos of shootmania storm from youtube, how beautiful all the maps looked and how much easier it was to make good looking maps, even with little effort. There was a true atmosphere in the maps. But now, the maps has much more bulky feel, maps feel cheap & dead very easily,

Just very fast examples, theres so much better examples, but the old look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OQCWudqN4w&t=10m00s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5tiCaxSgjk&t=7m50s

New:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sb62uOOLhs&t=1m43s

^- The building style is almost the same in all of the videos, blocks here and there, but the atmosphere is very different.

The old texture gave much more freedom to take it easy and it was easy to make simplest map to look very good.
Even with few blocks here and there and a simple flat surface, made it look atmospheric and you enjoyed walking in there.

i know there is the old skin mod, maybe im gonna test it. But please, why not give us the old castle block back? Not the complete set, just the single basic bloc,.so there are 2 square castle blocks, the old and the new?

But I dont know what really is missing from the new maps, but when i see the old map videos, theres something special in those, dont you see it too? The maps looked more pro even in the simplest maps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGJREcAflKs&t=0m15s

Edit: ^

Nova, yes :)
Last edited by aprror on 21 Aug 2014, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

novationx

Re: Suggestion - Castle block skin

Post by novationx » 21 Aug 2014, 19:31

For me it looks like an old-medieval-metal-modern mix & its very weird... but its too late to complain + i do think it looks beautiful.

I just wish it would have been more the OLD look ( like we found a mayan temple in the jungle ) and then pimp it with modern stuff ( metal/neon everywhere )
NADEO y u do diz? :oops: #MP4

aprror

Post by aprror » 21 Aug 2014, 23:01

Yes, i think the materials and stuff are cool still, or no bother atleast :)

For the nadeo one more reason,
The evidence for a change to something worse is easily seen when playing some M2 map that havnt been modified, it looks much worse than before. Its a tell sign.

The new look has its place, but the combination of M2 look would do a big favor for nadeo because the game would look better all around ;-)

by the way. How i can load mod into the map, i placed zip to storm/mod and tried to hold ctrl when clicking map but opens just the land/water box? is there complete tutorial somewhere? Google gives nothing good
Last edited by aprror on 22 Aug 2014, 10:37, edited 2 times in total.

UrinStein

Post by UrinStein » 22 Aug 2014, 00:54

That's what I've been saying for months on end now, the old textures just looked better. Or at least, I prefer them a lot.
You are also right, that it is incredibly easy to make a map look good with the old textures because every colour there compliments the others, while the new textures just have those contrasts even at places where you can't use them. The red of the walls just clashes way to often with the other stuff and... grrr it's just not easy at all.

On the other hand, some maps do look good with the new textures though too, so again must ask:
Why not just have both texture packs in the damn game? Why did they take away from us something that we liked, without anyone ever indicating, that they wanted something else? >.<
Just... why not add the new textures to add diversity in map designs?

As you can see something's really wrong with the philosophy behind the last updates... absolutely incomprehensible.
aprror wrote:How i can load mod into the map, i placed zip to storm/mod and tried to hold ctrl when clicking map but opens just the land/water box?
Did you restart the game? That's all i can think of. Well I guess that'll be the first thing you do tomorrow anyway, so we'll see. :D
kadaz wrote:> That's where I disagree, cause the truth is, the truth is, weather you agree to disagree or not with liking it.
> I know I speak intelligent English

bervt

Post by bervt » 22 Aug 2014, 09:14

Yes i would like to have the possibility to have skin block , tu make the look of the map as i want without using skin mod.
(for me i would like to do like the mix )
GPU:GTX 770 2Go
Moth:Msi z87-gd65
HDD(s):ssd Samsung 240Go
Sound:Realtek HD
Peripherals:corsair k70 , steelseries sensei ,sennheiser HD 429, Blue yeti

novationx

Post by novationx » 22 Aug 2014, 09:25

I dont like the mix in your screenshot , sorry.
Looks the most illogical of the 3. :oops:
NADEO y u do diz? :oops: #MP4

aprror

Post by aprror » 22 Aug 2014, 10:45

Urin, yes,
I tried to restart, the mod i downloaded is from maniapark B2 old pack, really weird to not work.
Maybe now then its time to suggest a button for selecting the mods :) theres no reason to keep hidden 'hold ctrl' features

Bervt, really nice comparison pics. In the mix picture i would personally prefer the old floor

djhubertus
Translator
Translator

Post by djhubertus » 22 Aug 2014, 15:10

Well, we can force to download b2 textures on many ways(titlepacks with public flag, maniacontrol plugin, map building), it's a good workaround for now.
aprror wrote:Urin, yes,
I tried to restart, the mod i downloaded is from maniapark B2 old pack, really weird to not work.
Maybe now then its time to suggest a button for selecting the mods :) theres no reason to keep hidden 'hold ctrl' features
Hold CTRL when You choose mood, then you has mod window.
My Gamemodes:
MP4 - Countdown, Firefight
MP3 - Reduction, Overload, Flashpoint, Territory, SM Race, Escape
MP2 - Search & Destroy, Oscillation, Instagib

aprror

Post by aprror » 22 Aug 2014, 16:54

Thank you so much hubertus! It worked!

Btw. If I want everybody to see the mod, do i use the "use url" option, then set the URL that is in the locator file? Then save the map and then its visible for everybody online and no more tricks to do?

djhubertus
Translator
Translator

Post by djhubertus » 22 Aug 2014, 18:09

I think it needs also locator file on hosted location but maybe I'm wrong.
My Gamemodes:
MP4 - Countdown, Firefight
MP3 - Reduction, Overload, Flashpoint, Territory, SM Race, Escape
MP2 - Search & Destroy, Oscillation, Instagib

Return to “Shootmania”