TrackMania² Pursuit - several small updates
During the past couple of weeks, you probably noticed a few updates popping up for both Pursuit packs. That's right, I've been slowly deploying various changes and additions over that time. Here's an overview of what's been done.
Improved next map selection screen
Redesigned map selection screen aims to let players experience a wider variety of maps and focuses on making every vote truly individual. Notable changes:
- Option to replay just finished map is no longer available (at least for now).
- Numbers of votes cast for every map shows only after the voting is complete, preventing players from being suggested by what others choose.
- Your game will now remember which maps you have recently played and shares this information with the server, allowing the game to show 6 maps that are played least often by currently connected people.
In case of a tie between two or more maps, the first map to receive a vote wins. This also means that if you're the first player to vote for a map, change your mind and choose something else, while your initial pick ties with anything else, that first map you've picked will win.
New map selection algorithm in detail
If you play at least one full round on a map, by the end of the match it will be added at the beginning of the list of your recently played maps. If it already exists there, it will be shifted back to the start. When voting begins, the server obtains a list of 15 maps from all players. Based on the position of a map in each of these lists, a map gets between 1 and 15 points, where a map played more recently will get more points. Afterward, maps are ordered by their points ascending and the first 6 maps with least points will show up as options in the voting.
Redesign of the vehicle selection menu
Notable changes include:
More elimination icons
- All 10 car buttons now fit on the whole screen, elements are spaced out more evenly.
- Skins are featured in buttons as well.
- UI elements behind the menu are now hidden, preventing blending with the menu.
- New menu supports experimental feature of live car preview at the start of a map.
New icons replace the "drowning car" symbol that showed up when an environmental capture was performed. These icons appear in specific situations and reduce the amount of text bloating the screen.
Music player received its first playlist, that being a full mix of all 27 tracks that can be heard in Canyon, Stadium, Valley and Lagoon. Only available in the Multienvironment pack. Also, options to shuffle (on by default) and repeat one were added.
Note: Music player will undergo a rewrite, which will let all players on the server listen to the same tracks at the same time, where admins can control the currently played track.
Progressive respawn time
For many years, in case of things going wrong, you had to wait 15 seconds to respawn as a thief. This changed recently, making the time required to respawn progressive. When a round starts, it only takes 5 seconds to retry if you lose control over your car. As the round progresses and more thieves are caught, this time will gradually extend to up to 15 seconds for the last thief remaining. Additionally:
Balanced cop points
- Game will inform everyone if the captured player was about to respawn.
- Respawn always takes only 5 seconds in Goal Hunt variation of Pursuit.
In the late game, capturing a thief could give you only 1 point, while remaining survivors would receive up to 3. This takes away motivation to capture thieves if you're going purely for points. That's why cop points are now based on thieves points, giving up to 3 for regular capture. In total you can get up to 8 points:
+ 1-3 base points, up to 5 for the last thief.
+ 0-4 points capture streak (if not last thief).
+ 1 if caught a Lagoon Car with any other car.
Watch out for the exciting stuff coming to the Pursuit pack really soon! Join our Discord to stay up to date with every little bit of information: