How to fix shadows in dynamic daycycle?

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

mrwallace888

How to fix shadows in dynamic daycycle?

Post by mrwallace888 » 01 Nov 2018, 00:03

How do I fix it? For whatever the time on your track is, you must compute shadows to, well, compute shadows so that they are correct. How does daylight cycle work, exactly? When it's enabled, shadows are broken. If it's daytime shadows, then when it's nighttime the shadows are still daytime shadows and it looks horrid. Is there a fix for this?

Also another small thing, how do I un-gray the "Interface" option when I click on the settings in the top right? It's grayed out for me.

Miss

Re: How to fix shadows in dynamic daycycle?

Post by Miss » 01 Nov 2018, 10:37

For dynamic time, the game calculates 3 separate lightmaps and interpolates between them.
1070 GTX, i7 4790k, 16GB RAM, Windows 10
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative Maniaplanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream on Twitch and tweet on Twitter.

mrwallace888

Post by mrwallace888 » 01 Nov 2018, 23:16

Well is it fixable? For me it'll only keep the lighting from the time of day I computed in the editor. So at night bushes and stuff glow and it looks bad.

TMarc

Post by TMarc » 01 Nov 2018, 23:23

Did you first compute the shadows and then switch on the dynamic daycycle?
Did you not compute the shadows afterwards?
maniaplanet forum global moderator

Link list with FAQ, Support, Wiki, Tutorials, Community activities, and much more.

System specs: Intel i7-970 12GB RAM, nVidia GTX 970, Creative SB X-Fi, 2xSSD

mrwallace888

Post by mrwallace888 » 01 Nov 2018, 23:26

Well, I've tried both. Neither methods have worked. I haven't used daylight cycle, actually (I did once when it first was released). But it was an issue I had. I'll go ahead and try it on a level. Does saving make a difference perhaps?

mrwallace888

Post by mrwallace888 » 01 Nov 2018, 23:33

Yup, broken. As soon as it became night the grass glowed.

TMarc

Post by TMarc » 01 Nov 2018, 23:52

Ok, thanks for the tests. Does not sound good.
Which title were you using?
Could you perhaps upload your map?

Regarding the "Interface" which is grayed out, I don't know what you exactly meant.
Some settings specific to a Maniaplanet account profile can only be changed from inside an official title like Canyon. And some input control settings might only be availaible while playing.

Link list with FAQ, Support, Wiki, Tutorials, Community activities, and much more.

mrwallace888

Post by mrwallace888 » 02 Nov 2018, 00:01

I used MrSloppi's titlepack because it allows you to use environment handling on other environments (I like using Canyon's handling on Valley), which I think is sad isn't already an option in the official TrackMania tetralogy track editor. Anyways, it doesn't work. Just to make sure, I also tried Stadium, Valley, Lagoon, and Canyon (official titles) to make sure it wasn't the titlepack. But the map doesn't matter, either. It happens everywhere. Does nobody else have this issue? I had this problem back when the timecycle thing was a feature, and that was on Windows 7. I'm on Windows 10 now. Same thing.

TMarc

Post by TMarc » 02 Nov 2018, 21:09

I have just tested it, including Ultra lightmap, also switched off Ligtmap Index to see if that matters, and the daycycle is working properly for me, at least in Canyon.

Two things you need to consider: the shadows are dynamic (like stencil shadow) and changing and moving along with the sun position. When it is night, the moon is not moving and casting constant shadows.
The lightmap now is really a lightmap, and cannot have as good shadows as on a static light condition.

Perhaps you really need to present us a screenshot or a movie of what your problem is, would be nice :)
It would be good that you indicate your system configuration as well.

If that matters, I'm on Windows 10 1709 (can't install newer versions for strange reason and did not take the time to do a clean reinstall yet), and nVidia 388.13 drivers.

mrwallace888

Post by mrwallace888 » 03 Nov 2018, 01:35

I'll take a screenshot when I can. The shadows from the lighting position work fine, but when it's night and it goes to day or it's day and it goes to night, it just kinda looks stupid (the grass and stuff glow like I said). Am I using it correctly? Do I just turn on dynamic lighting or do I do something else, too? I've just did the normal compute shadows and then turned it on, and I've also tried turning it on first and THEN doing compute shadows. Is there a special kind of compute shadows or something I'm looking for?

Return to “Trackmania 2”