[TUTORIAL] How to use the Brush tool in Materials Mode

Moderator: NADEO

niebo26

[TUTORIAL] How to use the Brush tool in Materials Mode

Post by niebo26 »

Hello item makers !

You may have noticed for a long time this tool when applying materials in the Mesh Modeler but maybe didn't know how to use it. Or you may have wanted to texture a road in some clicks, with your material following the road path. That's what Brush mode (or Curve 2D) is for ! :D

:!: Important : Brush mode only works with open surfaces (a sphere surface, an entire cube surface, or the entire side of a cylinder don't work for example) that don't have a normal at zero !

Now, on using the Brush mode :

Let's texture this mesh with a custom road material. As you can see, a Planar projection is not fitting my geometry well :

We're gonna use Brush mode then. I first select what i will apply the material to :

And now, i enter Brush mode by clicking on the icon. The borders of my selection are now displayed. These borders will be the borders of the material after Brush mode :

The dots on the borders are the 4 angles of the material i'm gonna apply on my surface. The blue dot indicates that it's the bottom left angle of the material. The yellow dots indicate the 3 other angles and have no order. For now, i'm gonna drag these dots on the positions i want (seeing how the material is, i need to put the blue dot on the bottom left so the road lanes are gonna follow the geometry in the right way) :

If i want to cancel what i've done in Brush mode, i can click on the Brush again. But if i'm sure of what i'm doing, i can finish Brush mode and apply the material by clicking the arrow on the bottom right. Since it's an automatic algorithm, results can have some "hiccups" with UV placement : i can correct anything with the UV canvas as usual :

Now Brush mode has no secrets for you :thumbsup:

As usual, don't hesitate to drop some questions here about the feature (or if you have suggestions).
Hope you'll like the tool !

Niebo
"Don't mesh around !" - ® Haagse, 2019

SUPER SONIC SPEED !

Look for niebo26 in TMU & in TM² :)
Miss

Re: [TUTORIAL] How to use the Brush tool in Materials Mode

Post by Miss »

Ohh very nice! I should probably start using this..
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
Demented

Post by Demented »

Again, another very helpful tutorial from Niebo. These are very well done and easy to follow. :thumbsup:
:?: Question: Is the brush tool only for custom materials or can it also be used with ingame materials?
I ask this here rather than just trying it for myself so others know the answer to this as well.
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit
niebo26

Post by niebo26 »

(oops i forgot to reply at the office...)

Of course, Brush tool works with game materials as well, if they're not automatic.
If the material has an Atlas ( = is cut in small rectangles cos contains lots of different things in the texture), then Brush tool should apply the selected rectangle UVs to your selection.
"Don't mesh around !" - ® Haagse, 2019

SUPER SONIC SPEED !

Look for niebo26 in TMU & in TM² :)

Return to “Mesh Modeler”