[Tutorial] How to scale up an imported item

Moderator: NADEO

eyebo
Translator
Translator

[Tutorial] How to scale up an imported item

Post by eyebo »

I wrote this back in June 2019 for someone who was asking how to scale up an imported item. It's a specific use-case, but I thought I'd paste it here as well.

How to scale up an imported item

1. Open Stadium title
2. Go to Title Tools -> Item Editor
3. Click the "New Item" button (the one with the +). Choose "Decoration".
4. Click the wrench icon next to "Mesh".
5. Now you're in Mesh Modeler. Click the Import button at bottom left. It's the down arrow.
6. Find the original item and import the .Mesh.Gbx.
7. In the layers on the left side, delete the lower layer (it's just a cube that you started with)
8. Select the remaining layer and press E (to edit)
9. Press "S" to switch to the Scale tool. Then CTRL+A to select the entire mesh.
10. Now you'll see some dots at the corners of the selection, click and drag one of the corners so that the mesh is scaled up as much as you want. You can even change the Tool Step at bottom right to something like 100% if you want to double the size every time you scale it up.
11. Enable the item to be collidable by enabling "Collidable geometry" at bottom right.
12. Now save the item. And you should be able to open it in Stadium and place it where you want.

There's one caveat. If you're importing an old item that was imported using the 2014 NadeoImporter, the material will automatically be remapped onto the item, so that works fine. But if you're importing a newer item imported using the 2017 NadeoImporter the item will appear red when you import it and the materials will have to be reapplied manually (even though the UV mapping of each material is actually remembered). In the area where it says "UV Projection Planar", change it to "Materials Only (Keep UVs)". That should allow you to reapply the material without losing the UV mapping.
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
TMarc

Re: [Tutorial] How to scale up an imported item

Post by TMarc »

I wasn't able to scale propely when the item is larger than the white boundary box, like a large landscape model.
Any hints how to get the boundary box larger or remove that?
niebo26

Post by niebo26 »

Hello

I think you're talking of very old times now :p
I remember changing the box size to the map size a long time ago, have you tried more "recently" ?

Niebo
"Don't mesh around !" - ® Haagse, 2019

SUPER SONIC SPEED !

Look for niebo26 in TMU & in TM² :)
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Just yesterday.
In MP.

When i import anything, there is a white wireframe cube, which is perhaps 1/16 or 1/8 width of the whole Valley grid.

And when i scale or move the item beyond that box limits, the object disappears. Then i have to undo and try again.

The only possility i have to make it larger is to experiment with the scale in the meshproperties.xml before the conversion.
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

I guess you mean this white box:
Screenshot taken today.

And no, I don't know of a way to make it bigger.
niebo26 wrote:I remember changing the box size to the map size a long time ago, have you tried more "recently" ?
This is promising! Having it be map size would make sense. Somehow it's not at the moment though.
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit

Return to “Mesh Modeler”